Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by gundamaniac »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I can’t stop carrying this knife. It’s just too fun.
Gorgeous photo. Where is that?

Re: finger eating flipper: I typically pushbutton my flippers if possible (habit from owning a lot of flippers with so-so action, pushbuttoning practically guarantees a successful opening for me). But with the final lock placement where it is, I lightswitch the Amalgam. For me, pushbuttoning the Amalgam results in the painful jabbed index finger pads you're describing, but lightswitching works just fine (or maybe I'm just used to it now haha).
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

gundamaniac wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm
Pitt Lake in British Columbia. :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

gundamaniac wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I can’t stop carrying this knife. It’s just too fun.

Re: finger eating flipper: I typically pushbutton my flippers if possible (habit from owning a lot of flippers with so-so action, pushbuttoning practically guarantees a successful opening for me). But with the final lock placement where it is, I lightswitch the Amalgam. For me, pushbuttoning the Amalgam results in the painful jabbed index finger pads you're describing, but lightswitching works just fine (or maybe I'm just used to it now haha).
I'd say that reliable lightswitch action is the sweet spot that I aim for when doing detent tuning. :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I'm agree that the sweet spot is a nice lightswitchable flipper. My tendency to pushbutton flippers when possible was really to make up for shortcomings, whether it was an overly light detent or stiff pivot or too light of a blade. A flipper had to have pretty bad action for me to need a wrist flick. So I'm pretty happy with the way the Amalgam is easily lightswitchable without wrist as long as it's flipped with any kind of authority (a couple of my friends and family can misfire almost any flipper I hand them because they always only apply juuuuust enough strength to break the detent, or, in the case of my 7777, if the detent is too strong then they can't open it at all :p).
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've also noticed "finger creep" which might be my body's reaction to using flippers for quite some time now.

A flipper detent that seems "just right" to my right index finger seems monstrously strong when flipped with any other finger on that hand. It even feels a little strong to my left index finger

I'm not sure whether my other fingers are weaker and not used to pressing things individually, or if index fingers are stronger in general...

I always have to remember that detent is only part of the flipping action equation, and the other portion is the physiological "springs" of our finger tendons.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So I’m typically the guy asking for a stronger detent. I was thrilled with my Cruwear PM2 having twice the detent strength of my older black coated s30v version. The main reason I don’t carry my Gayle Bradley often is a weak detent. But my most recent Spydies have been the Rhino and the Amalgam. Both have somewhat light detents, but near perfect action. Neither blade comes out when I don’t want. It takes a good shake or wrist snap to pop either out. I have nitpicks on pretty much every knife but at the same time can appreciate a good build, and imo the Amalgam is a great knife. Nitpicks maybe but no complaints, even about the detent.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Reference_Sensor

Post by Reference_Sensor »

I've been wanting a bigger Spyderco for some time, but was never able to find one that really "spoke" to me, until now. Just placed an order for an Amalgam, and can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm currently working in Afghanistan, and I've bought a new Spyderco prior to every deployment for the last 16 years. This one is a departure from my usual, the old reliable Endura, but I have high hopes for it. This place is hard on equipment, and I'm eager to see how the Amalgam stands up to use in the harsh, dusty and sometimes dangerous environment of this mountainous region.
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Thanks Reference_Sensor! Definitely let me know how you like it when you get it in hand, and keep us posted on how it holds up in your work =). I'm curious how the bearing pivot will do with dust and sand.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I can say with a high degree of confidence that the Amalgam is very well built after some 'out there' usage last weekend.
Reference_Sensor

The Amalgam is holding up quite well so far. Spring has sprung in Afghanistan, and the roses they grow here are in full bloom!
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38
Drmnez

Post by Drmnez »

does anyone know of where I can get some black g10 scales for this bad boy? All my other SpyderCo's I rotate through have those scales and I want my amalgam to match
ferider

Post by ferider »

wrong thread.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Yesterday, I had access to a Rockwell hardness tester, so of course I took apart the Amalgam I had on me to try it out. I was pleased to see a reading just over 61 HRC on my sample. Woo! 😛
IMG_20191019_144306-01-01.jpeg
10_20_19_12_58_57_IMG_20191019_144233-01.jpeg
10_20_19_12_58_57_IMG_20191019_144718-01.jpeg
I didn't take a reading just behind the edge because my understanding is that the sample being tested should be mounted perpendicular to the indenter, and I didn't have an appropriate anvil that would allow me to mount the blade so that the flat grind would be properly perpendicular to the indenter.

Edit: last two images didn't upload properly, re-uploaded them
Last edited by gundamaniac on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Nice! Consistent hardness is one of the big reasons why I'm a fan of spyderco's s30v. It's dependable!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

gundamaniac wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:41 pm
Yesterday, I had access to a Rockwell hardness tester, so of course I took apart the Amalgam I had on me to try it out. I was pleased to see a reading just over 61 HRC on my sample. Woo! 😛

IMG_20191019_144306-01-01.jpeg10_20_19_11_04_41_IMG_20191019_144233-01.jpegIMG_20191019_144306-01-01.jpeg

I didn't take a reading just behind the edge because my understanding is that the sample being tested should be mounted perpendicular to the indenter, and I didn't have an appropriate anvil that would allow me to mount the blade so that the flat grind would be properly perpendicular to the indenter.

Nice ! Hey Brian could you measure the thickness behind the edge... I am quite confused ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Reference_Sensor

Well, sixteen months later, the Amalgam is still going strong and sharp in Afghanistan. I've used it daily for just about everything a knife is appropriate for, and it has certainly delivered. I would dearly love to see a version in Zome green or brown, or coyote or green G10, with a DLC coated blade.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A DLC/OD green sprint would be extra nice. S30v is plenty tough as we've seen, but I wouldn't mind cruwear either.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I'd like one with DLC blade and hardware, and light gray scales, like that Manix sprint that was floating around for a while. Or translucent natural G10 scales with a DLC blade. Or DLC with marbled carbon fiber.

...If they make any variant of this in DLC I will buy it.

While I'm on a roll wishing for Amalgam variants, a sheepsfoot version would be awesome. Or a serrated version. Or a serrated sheepsfoot version. Or, if I really wanna go far out with "unlikely to happen", lightweight FRN.

Basically I want these two knives to have a kid, and then to add some DLC coating on top:

soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

DLC amalgam? Sign me up! And I wouldn't mind m390 or 20cv...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A full spyderedge Amalgam would be insane!