Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
radiopej

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by radiopej »

I still can't get over this knife. I've had it since release and it's still my favourite to carry. Not only is it long enough to cut everything I need, it's thin enough to cut smoothly while being thick enough to be durable.

I can't believe it's designed by a first time knife maker. I'm just waiting for other steels, but it's ruined most other knives for me. To be honest, I'd probably buy a smaller version just because it's so good, but the standard version seems like it's going to be my eternal EDC barring a sprint run.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Thanks radiopej! I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying your Amalgam and that it's still serving you well!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I wish they'd do a sprint run. M4 Amalgam?? Yes please!!

Imo this knife should be so much more popular than the smock... I guess I'm biased!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 am
I posted earlier that my Amalgam shook open rather easily. I ordered a KYOCERA 1635-0625.094 Ball Nose End Mill to modify the detent hole.
https://www.amazon.com/KYOCERA-1635-062 ... B01MSM7KDD

First of all BIG thanks to M0DiFiEDZ for his classic video on all this detent mod stuff.
https://youtu.be/S5H96riLLS4

Also BIG thanks to Nick Shabazz for his video on the Amalagam:
How to disassemble and maintain the Spyderco Amalgam Pocketknife
https://youtu.be/nwqccMaeNpU

This is the stuff you need to do the job.

You can do the job with just hand force. No need for a drill or dremel tool.
I used a plain tap & die set collet to hold the KYOCERA 1635-0625.094

You'll need a T8 torx driver. I'd get a Wiha if I were you.
The Triplet 10x is an eye loupe to get a better look at your work.
The blue and white thing is just a carved up toothbrush handle I use for a sturdy pry bar.
I never even taped up the blade, but you might want to.

When you take the knife apart, you'll notice the detent hole is drilled all the way through the blade. This is handy because you can practice on the side that's not used for the detent and get a feel for the cutting tool.

Work slowly, cutting just a bit at a time, and reassemble the knife to test the detent as you go.

I tested the detent strength with a trigger pull gauge.

My original detent was between 7-11 oz. You could shake it open with one shake.

I did three grinds on the detent hole progressively increasing the detent strength:

15 oz
1 lb 7 oz
2 lb 4 oz

At 2 lbs 4 oz, the visible detent ball was about 80-90% in the hole. I didn't want to take it any further as I wanted the ball supporting the lock bar, rather than the bar flat on the blade.

Note that what I've done is enlarge the very top of the detent hole with a larger ball shaped cutting tool. The result is a bevel or cup at the top of the hole for the detent ball to nestle down in.
Keep in mind that everything here is rather small. Doesn't take much cutting to do the job.
I came close to overshooting where I wanted to be. Go slow.

This is the result

The Amalgam is a sweet knife. I wouldn't have gone to all this trouble if it wasn't worth it.
Mine cut better than any knife I've gotten out of the box. Wasn't going to send that back.
The added bonus is now I can modify my other ball detent knives more to my liking.

This post is priceless if you are tempted to do the detent mod. I followed it closely and it helped make the Amalgam detent close to perfection, for me at least. Thank to Shunsui and to Brian for the great design.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I've thought about making the detent heavier, but I'm pretty happy with the knife as is. Good to know there are options though!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela