Hiking, survival, all around utility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Telp

Hiking, survival, all around utility

Post by Telp »

Hey everyone ! New to the forums here and not a big knife expert. I currently EDC a Spyderco Endura 4 which has been one of the beat purchases I’ve ever made. Currently I’m planning a bikepacking trip through Europe and I’m looking for just a good do anything knife. I’m probably looking for a fixed blade, and able to handle whatever general camping and survival needs. I’ll be out on the trail away from any major cities so something reliable and with a strong steel. I guess probably a good travel sharpener might be a good idea to have too if you have any suggestions. I’ve been looking at the Spyderco Enuff and it seems nice but I haven’t read a lot about how it handles in those situations vs other knives, Spyderco or otherwise, and within the same price range. Thanks for any help or input y’all can offer me.
vivi

Re: Hiking, survival, all around utility

Post by vivi »

There are two models I can suggest looking at. The Street Bowie and Aqua Salt.

The Street Bowie has the longer blade of the two. It's very light for the size, weighing a hair under 4oz I believe. The steel is VG10, which will resist corrosion well, take a good edge and hold it well enough. Should be tough enough for anything you can do with a knife this size, it's pretty stout at the spine. Very comfortable handle with nice grip.

The Aqua Salt has the perk of being 100% rust proof. Hike around in the rain for two weeks and it'll look pristine. I like the blade shape and length on this one quite a bit. An aqua salt paired with an axe or machete is all I've ever needed in the outdoors. It's a bit heavier than the bowie, but still very light. I like the handle on this one better, though the texture is a bit abrasive for heavy work if you're not wearing gloves.

Neither knives are marketed as bushcraft / hiking knives but I've found they work well in those roles.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Knife laws vary across Europe. You'll need to factor them into your choice.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your trip! Sounds like a dream come true.

Spyderco makes a Bushcrafter. But, my personal choice would be a high carbon, heavy duty mora. Very lightweight...sorry Spydernuts :)
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I 2nd the Mora.. I got a Morakniv Pro S this past Christmas and for 15.00 it is one FINE knife.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Plus, if you're moving through various jurisdictions in europe, the Mora is cheap if you have it taken away and have to replace it.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If you have your heart set on a Spyderco, I believe the Temperance 2 can still be found. I would check blade length laws for your destinations before making my final decision though. Perhaps if length issues prevail, ypu could pick up one of the Mule team knives. Quite a few steel choices still in stock at the SFO.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mule would definitely be a good choice for this. LC200 for the low maintenance and ease of sharpening, maybe.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum, great to meet you! I love the Endura 4, it is one of my all-time favorite knives. Knife law legalities aside, the Spyderco Pacific Salt would be perfect. It is very similar to the Endura in many aspects and has the H1 rust proof stainless steel blade and the FRN handle.

One of the forum dwellers here named ThePeacent and another named SurfGringo and another named Vivi definitely like that one and have shown great pictures and testimonials of it being an excellent all-purpose knife.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If I had to grab some knives right now from the collection for said trip, it would be an impossible night of indecision :D

First to mind was the PM2 and Fallkniven F1, probably a DF2 as well.
Telp

Post by Telp »

Hey, thanks for all the replies everyone. I will most likely have my Endura on me as well but the morakniv looks like a fantastic blade and one that I will not shy away from scuffing for the first time. That's a good point about the different knife regulations throughout so I will definitely read up on that.

Also how do you feel about the fact that the knife is not full tang?

Is there a sharpening system that you all prefer that I can throw into my panniers without worrying about breaking it?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Your Endura is definitely going to be illegal to carry in a lot of places. Where are you going to be?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Telp wrote:Hey, thanks for all the replies everyone. I will most likely have my Endura on me as well but the morakniv looks like a fantastic blade and one that I will not shy away from scuffing for the first time. That's a good point about the different knife regulations throughout so I will definitely read up on that.

Also how do you feel about the fact that the knife is not full tang?

Is there a sharpening system that you all prefer that I can throw into my panniers without worrying about breaking it?
The Doublestuff stone would be a great travel companion and comes in a new combination to make sharpening times easier.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will second the suggestion to try a Mule. They are great backpacking knives.

As far as the Mora not being full tang I wouldn't worry. Many have tried to kill one and few have succeeded. I have beat one senseless and except for slightly bending the blade it is still perfectly serviceable and the handle is tight as new.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Telp

Post by Telp »

TomAiello wrote:Your Endura is definitely going to be illegal to carry in a lot of places. Where are you going to be?
I'm not sure about the final route I'll be taking but the trail takes you from the UK down to Spain and Italy, down the Adriatic from Slovenia to Greece, and then back up through Finland and Sweden. So I guess there's a lot for me to look into for all that. And maybe I'll leave the Endura at home.

xceptnl wrote:
The Doublestuff stone would be a great travel companion and comes in a new combination to make sharpening times easier.
Looks great ! Will read up on it, thanks for that.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The UK has very strict knife laws. Definitely no Endura there.

The rest of the countries you named are much easier.

If I wanted a knife I knew was going to be legal in most places, I'd get a slip joint with a fairly short blade, like a UK penknife or an Urban.

My experience has also been that domestically produced knives add some local flavor to a trip, plus they are more likely to get a pass from the local rules makers (no way they're ever going to ban Opinels in France, for example). If they tried to ban Mora knives in Sweden or Puukkos in Finland, there would probably be a revolution.
Telp

Post by Telp »

TomAiello wrote:The UK has very strict knife laws. Definitely no Endura there.

The rest of the countries you named are much easier.

If I wanted a knife I knew was going to be legal in most places, I'd get a slip joint with a fairly short blade, like a UK penknife or an Urban.

My experience has also been that domestically produced knives add some local flavor to a trip, plus they are more likely to get a pass from the local rules makers (no way they're ever going to ban Opinels in France, for example). If they tried to ban Mora knives in Sweden or Puukkos in Finland, there would probably be a revolution.

Thanks for your input. It doesn't seem like a bad idea to just pick up a knife once I hit England or France rather than travelling there with them. There's no way I'd be upset carrying an Opinel either. Just out of curiosity, is it the locking mechanism of the Endura that makes it illegal in England or the length? Or both I guess?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I"m pretty sure that any locking knife is illegal to carry in England. I think there are blade length limits for non-locking knives too, but I'd defer to anyone on this forum who presently lives in England (there are several).

If it were me, I'd pick up a knife in France, rather than England, because the selection is going to be much better. Bringing a UKPK or Urban along from home wouldn't be a bad idea though. They're both legal in England (and _almost_ everywhere else in Europe--are you visiting Switzerland or Denmark?).

I even flew with my Urban last summer (from Catania to Rome). There was a clear sign at the AlItalia check in counter with rules for what knives were permitted in carry on.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Spyderco puukko+roadie would be a cool, possibly legal combo?
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

You can carry a non-locking folder with a cutting edge of less than 3" in the UK. I carried a K390 Pingo, along with either a Victorinox Climber or a spearpoint Tidioute Crownlifter, when I was travelling there. When I went camping/bushcrafting, I just borrowed a Mora to use.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives