PM2 Or PM3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
but why thO

PM2 Or PM3

Post by but why thO »

I cannot decide which one to get but i do have small hands so I am leaning towards the PM3 but im usually a bigger knife kind of person.
abbazaba

Re: PM2 Or PM3

Post by abbazaba »

Welcome to the forum! I enjoy the PM2 quite a bit more, and think it is more refined in every way. My XL hands don't love the PM3, and the blade width and shape just make more sense on the PM2 IMO. The roomy handle also adds a lot to the versatility for me.

However, if I were just starting out I'd probably have tried the PM3 first. Maybe would have loved it. It's a great little knife, but I like the Sage5 more in that size comp lock.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

They both fill the hand in a similar fashion. Thepm2 is just a little longer. It gives you more options for how to hold it. Only reasons for getting the para 3 are if you need a smaller blade or you don’t want the extra length filling your pocket. Pm2 sounds good for you.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Whats the main purpose if that knife?

Here you see the
Sliverax
Para 3
PM2
https://picload.org/view/ddplcrrl/0fe0d ... e.jpg.html

Sliverax carries nice in the pocket and has an impressive handle to blade ratio for a Spyderco.
PM2 is heavy.
Para 3 is perfect for me. I also have rather smaller hands.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If you're a "bigger knife kind of person", then get the PM2. It's the bigger of the two, but not that much bigger, and it's not that big. The PM is a great design. I'd get the PM3 only if a restriction on blade-length was a concern.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Small hands here. When I first started collecting spydies I bought 2 PM2's, they are wonderful knives and are up for anything from utility to self defense, but after handling the Para3.... I have no plans to buy any more pm2's (that red m390 one almost changed my mind though :D ). Knives spend most of their time in your pocket, I like the smaller size of the para 3 and don't feel like I'm giving up anything in cutting power.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

I bought my brother a partially-serrated Para 3 as a gift (mostly because I couldn't find a partial serrated PM2), and he absolutely loves it. He wears Medium gloves, and I'm between a Medium/Large glove, and we both feel like the P3 is the ideal size for EDC and feels tougher than its size might suggest.

The handle of the PM2 is 0.55" longer than the P3 (4.82" vs 4.27"), so if you have big hands or need the extra utility of the longer blade, the PM2 is probably the way to go. However, if you're comfortable with a 3" blade (as my brother and I are), the Para 3 is a robust tool that will serve you well.

I guess the real question is "which to get first?" because they're both great.
To answer that, I'd say go with the blade size that is least represented in your collection. If you have a lot of 3" or smaller blades, then the PM2 might help fill a void of larger knives in your collection. If you have more knives of 3.5" or greater, the P3 will add some more-pocketable diversity to your rotation.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I'll let you know when I get my Para 3 but my friends both got different ones because they have different sized hands. If your hands are large you might like the PM2 more but you can't go wrong either way.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JDennis

Post by JDennis »

I prefer the para 2 over the 3. IMO the Para 2 is the perfect midsize edc. If I wanted to go smaller, the Sage 5 is much more attractive and the ergos are better to me. Plus the Sage 5 has a awesome deep carry clip and is great for what you would want a 3" or smaller knife to do. My edc rotation is my para 2 outside work and my Sage 5 at work.
Dargarin

Post by Dargarin »

I wear XL gloves and prefer the feel of the Para 3 over the PM2. Everyone's different. I tried them both out at a local dealer before buying the Para 3. Trying them both out is the only way to know which is better for you specifically.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

koenigsegg wrote:I'll let you know when I get my Para 3 but my friends both got different ones because they have different sized hands. If your hands are large you might like the PM2 more but you can't go wrong either way.

As previously stated above, YOU CANNOT GO WRONG EITHER WAY!. In other words buy both and enjoy... :D