Para 3 and the infamous clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobDigi

Para 3 and the infamous clip

Post by RobDigi »

I love the PM2 and I am giving the Para3 consideration but I've read and seen so much negativity about the clip and lanyard hole.

Besides that the clip and lanyard hole side does look really ugly and cluttered for one thing..
BTW.. I've seen in polls 75% don't use lanyards 95% could live without it..a knife without a lanyard hole once in awhile is not such a terrible thing.
but I digress..

I'm personally not so concerned with deep carry.. but this is a real issue for many.
What bothers me the clip is ridiclously long covers 3/4 of the handle...WTH
and comes right up to the compression lock release opening and creates an ergonomic situation that seems more of issue then sticking up a little too much in the pocket..
Yes I know MXG and Lynch make some after market clips that improve the situation but why should it be almost a necessity to purchase an after market clip for $20-$25

Has anyone from Spyderco even acknowledged this obvious flaw..
and do they have plans to simply do the right thing deliver it with a clip that fits.
...and offer one for those that have already sold??

Am I being too picky or critical or is this a legit complaint.
C'mon Spyderco just man up admit you screwed up on this clip..
its only a clip what will it cost you a few bucks to maintain customer satisfaction.
PanChango

Re: Para 3 and the infamous clip

Post by PanChango »

I enjoy the Para 3 just the way it is...

Just because you do not like it, does not make it a flaw.

Move on and get a different knife. There is a catalog full of other offerings.

If you decide that you still want the knife despite its "flaws," change it to suit your needs.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

No flaw for me, like it just fine. Prefer being able to get a knife out with wet and dirty hands
That is why I bought it. No knife issues where I live so I don't want a deep carry clip.
Don't use a clip on all but one parra3 cammo anyway that I carry a lot.

Plenty of other knives in the spyderco family for people that don't like the way it is.

That's the problem if they changed it the people like me that like it the way it is will be unhappy.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't please all the people all the time.

The YouTube whines and rants of a couple self styled experts and the parroting of their opinions by their fans does not equate to infamy.

Consider replacing your Para 3 with a Sage 5.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don't let them razz you, bro. It is a flaw. I like clips where the handle sticks out, but this one's ridiculous. All they need to do is make the lanyard hole smaller and move the clip a bit. It keeps me from buying a great looking knife of perfect size. Not to mention, the finger pinching lock.

And obviously most people don't like the clip position, or they wouldn't put those (eyesore to me) deep carry clips on them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Has anyone from Spyderco even acknowledged this obvious flaw..
and do they have plans to simply do the right thing deliver it with a clip that fits.
Wow. Impressive amount of arrogance.

I'm of the I'm fine with the way it is group. I hope they don't change it. I have a bunch of both too BTW. :)

Joe
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'm with Paul, the YouTube and social media nitpickers likely don't represent the silent majority.

I also agree with Mastiff, your post is a little inflammatory.

You are entitled to your opinions and preferences and lucklily Spyderco has an expansive product line. Sounds like you might enjoy a Sage5 or Mantra3? To me they both win over the Para3 for having thinner blade stock.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you like deep carry clips like the mxg short clip, the clip placement on the Para is perfect, goes right to the edge but not over the edge of the handle. If you like having something to grab onto when you pull out your knife, the clip is great just where it is. Same if you like having a lanyard hole big enough to get two strands of paracord through, great the way it is.....
I guess all I would say is, I hear you on your preferences (I've certainly got mine), but I hope you realize that Spyderco can't win in this scenario. If they make you happy, they may very well make someone else sad.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Wow...
I wasn't trying to be inflamatory I think its a great knife I would like one,
no probably about it...I will get one... It checks a lot of boxes for me.
But in the hand its looks and feels like... this clip just doesn't belong on this knife.
I think I would've come to that conclusion without seeing any youtube videos...its obvious!!

Just don't understand how the people who are ingenious enough to design this knife don't see it and correct it.
For a knife at the $120+ price point it should be mated with a clip that fits it better... nobody should have to buy an aftermarket clip.
Like many many people did... I haven't seen a picture on here of one that belongs to somebody without the aftermarket clip!!
( here they come )
Its not just my issue.

If you like it the way it is great..
though its hard to believe people are really happy with that clip.
There are a lot of knife enthusiasts who love the concept of this knife and think the clip and lanyard hole positioning are a mess.

And yea I am entitled to my opinoin..
sorry if it inflamed you..
maybe you should check your sensitivity.
No need to be jumping all over on me dudes.
...jeez lol
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

There is an issue with the pocket clip on the Para 3 when carrying tip up. When wearing jeans the clip doesn't sit right against the pocket seam and sticks out at a funny angle. The hourglass clip is good for most knives that use it but doesn't work in this instance. It's probably too hard to change the design of the knife now but at least Spyderco should consider making a new clip that works. In fact for a company that prides itself on introducing pocket clips to knives isn't it about time they made a new one? They really haven't done much CQI on clips, only one that comes to mind is the new ciip on the millie.

And let's not forget that Spyderco have already CQI'd the Para 3 by stonewashing the blades on the standard models. As for the Mantra 3, it hasn't even been released yet and I have zero interest in a Sage 5.

In fact I wonder how many posters above actually own a Para 3?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I also don't like the clip position on the Para3. It's not just that a lot of handle sticks out when pocketed. The other problem is that the lip of the clip bites into my hand when gripped. If the clip were moved back slightly both issues would be solved...
Anyway, I like everything else about the knife so I used a deep carry clip and now it's working for me.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have no issue with people not liking the clip, clip location or lanyard hole. I agree that it is a little off. I always support people sharing their opinions about the products and suggesting improvements. That is one of the main purposes of the forum.

My comment was referring to the assertion that Spyderco needs to "do the right thing" and acknowledge that they did something wrong. We are all in favor of CQI but that is a little much in my opinion.

Sorry, it's really not a big deal. Sorry for making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Only have the cruwear para 3 and was worried about the clip when I got it. Honestly, it hasn’t bothered me yet. Will likely switch to tip down carry at some point but don’t think I need to.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm not exactly a fan of the clip placement myself. In fact, I think I was one of the members to post about it after the Para 3 first dropped. It does ride a little high in the pocket. High enough that I could feel the end of the handle when I sat down. That's not so bad IMO. What I didn't like was that the end of the clip falls right where I pinch the handle to close the knife. Not ideal but not really a deal breaker either. I ended up going with short Lynch clips on both my P3s and they made a huge difference for me. Carrying my Cruwear P3 at work today. Been carrying my original S30V P3 quite a bit lately too.

There's been a lot of complaining about the clip placement since the P3 dropped. Something we have to consider is that Spyderco set out to make a shorter version of the Paramilitary 2 with all the same features including the large lanyard tube and their standard hourglass clip There's only so much real estate at the end of the P3s handle and we have to assume that the design team considered their options regarding clip and lanyard tube placement. Personally, I would've liked if they made the tube smaller or eliminated it altogether but then the P3 wouldn't have all the same features of the PM2. Hopefully it's something they apply CQI to in the future. If not we have the option of adapting to the design or moving on to something else. Pretty simple really.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

So those of you who prefer it this way, or hope no change is made, you must be furiuos about the position of the clip for tip down? Because, you know, the knife doesn't stick out far enough in that position?

Are you telling me that you would not like it if the tip up clip configuration was like that of the Manix 2 G10, or even the PM2?

Deep carry, loop over after market clips are a workaround for the Para 3, but not ideal; not for me. The loop over clip is much taller than it needs to be (taller than the stock clip), and less comfortable.

Unfortunate that the new Brouwer knife is inflicted with the same issue. Great design otherwise, but not getting it due to that. I guess I will let my wallet do the talking.
Peter
remnar

Post by remnar »

Coming here and expressing your opinion about the clip and giving suggestions for alternate designs is perfectly legitimate. I hope Spyderco listens and considers some CQI.

Thinking that this is some major flaw that buyers didn't already know about and expecting Spyderco to redesign the knife and ship out free parts to fix the "non-flaw" is not legitimate. It's actually absurd.

I am like you and don't like the position of the clip or how it rides in the pocket. I don't like it so I wont spend money on it. Oh well, there are plenty of other things for me to spend my money on.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

anycal wrote:Deep carry, loop over after market clips are a workaround for the Para 3, but not ideal; not for me. The loop over clip is much taller than it needs to be (taller than the stock clip), and less comfortable.
I feel the same way. If they do change the clip position on the Para3 I'll sell the one I have (with deep carry clip) and buy a new one.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

remnar wrote: Thinking that this is some major flaw that buyers didn't already know about and expecting Spyderco to redesign the knife and ship out free parts to fix the "non-flaw" is not legitimate. It's actually absurd.
I didn't say or imply they should redesign the whole knife or give anybody anything for free...
that must be the voice coming from inside your head..
I like a lot of things about this knife .. but it is my opinion and that of many others the Clip doesn't fit this knife well.

My main complaint is that the Clip is wayyyy too long... it actually extends 3/4 the length of the handle :eek: .
I've never seen anything like that before.

Many many people have complained about the Clip for one reason or another and have had to live with it or accept
purchasing an after market Clip if they really wanted this knife or forget about it...
and I also learned from this thread there are some who are happy with it the way it is.

But still I wonder at what point do they say we might want to consider customer feedback and just change the darn Clip...
nobody said redesign the whole thing!!
Not acknowledging the Clip as a legitimate complaint by so many of their consumers is whats absurd.

I think why I really brought this up is I would like to hear some response to this common complaint about a long awaited
knife like the Para3 its not just any knife..it has been in the works for a long time highly anticipated... its great but that Clip!!

I just would like to know what they think at this point ...
they could have made a better choice for a Clip or why they think this was the best choice.

I don't know why I hit a nerve with this for some, if I have offended anyone...for that I am sorry.
remnar

Post by remnar »

RobDigi wrote:
remnar wrote: Thinking that this is some major flaw that buyers didn't already know about and expecting Spyderco to redesign the knife and ship out free parts to fix the "non-flaw" is not legitimate. It's actually absurd.
I didn't say or imply they should redesign the whole knife or give anybody anything for free...
that must be the voice coming from inside your head..
RobDigi wrote: Has anyone from Spyderco even acknowledged this obvious flaw..

Am I being too picky or critical or is this a legit complaint.
C'mon Spyderco just man up admit you screwed up on this clip..
its only a clip what will it cost you a few bucks to maintain customer satisfaction.
If all you want is a shorter clip, then maybe you should have been clear about that. In your original post you stated that the clip attachment point is "really ugly" and commented that knives without lanyard holes are not a terrible thing. Did I interpret that to mean that you would like to see this area of the knife be redesigned? Yes, I did. Was I wrong or do you think Spyderco should just leave this area alone if they ever do make changes to the Para 3?

As far as giving people something for free: I guess that came from my interpretation of the highlited area of your quote. I don't know how it would cost Spyderco a few bucks if people aren't getting something for free. :confused:
Last edited by remnar on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Oops, double post.