Mantra 3 mixed feelings

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Re: Mantra 3 mixed feelings

Post by dplafoll »

1) S30V is a great steel, and totally a good choice for this knife.
2) Just about any steel change is going to have people who like the choice and those that don't. Since there's no One Right Answer, this comes down mostly to subjective choice.
3) Also, for every person that wants M4, there could be another person who says "that's a great design, but I don't want to deal with a non-stainless blade steel, so I'll pass." So it's no surprise that Spyderco is changing it up to open up a bigger market for the knife.
4) All that said, I'm still disappointed in S30V, but only because I personally prefer CTS-XHP and I don't know why (though I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons) they don't use XHP instead on most of these Taichung/Golden models that use S30V. I could be wrong, but it seems like if Cold Steel can use XHP on a lot of their line-up, it's come down in price as to be competitive to use on more models, maybe more so than something like S35VN.

Also, I personally like the CF/G10 laminate, and I really like it on the Mantra 3 with the stainless steel and compression lock to give you a more utilitarian version (CF grippier than Ti, steel is stainless, compression lock tougher).
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bummer about dropping the M4. Love that rusty stuff
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I seem to recall* a number of folks were a bit perturbed by the M4 in the 'original' Mantras due to it being prone to rust in an EDC (so it was generally espoused- I disagree meself ;) ).....

So the switch to S30v seems sensible for those adverse to a bit of patination and the occasional 'iron' tang to their lunchtime apple.

*Caveat: I have been to sleep at least once since then so maybe misremembering. And have had more than one glass of Maker's Mark in the interim also ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mattman

Post by mattman »

My opinion is that we've already had two (TWO!) in M4 and full Ti...

This config seems perfect to bring this platform to the masses, and ensure its continuing popularity.

I'd be willing to bet that someone will step up and run an M4 Sprint/Exclusive sooner than later for us enthusiasts...
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I would love to see one in M390, 20CV, 204P, S90V or S110V I'm not going to lie
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I don't dislike the material choice but i do find that the choice puts the Mantra3 in direct competition with the Sage5. They just seem very similar now.
Yep, my point exactly. I have found I'm not really a flipper guy, so this won't unseat the Sage 5 from my collection. I guess it makes perfect sense from a logistics point of view, though. Less material inventory to manage.
Tim
phaust

Post by phaust »

I like that all the changes that make it cheaper.I like that at least one model is trending down in price rather than up. There can always be sprints and exclusives to provide more premium models.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Canazes9 wrote:
zhyla wrote:
Ixstala wrote:Sadly, a steel swap from M4 to S30V may keep me from purchasing it.
You may have some good reason for this but in general I think this is silly. S30V is a good steel. Spyderco thinks it’s so good they use it in tons of models. We need to stop being bored with S30V and focus on design.
Everything I know about knife steels agrees with this 100%. Unfortunately, the spoiled little child created by the nearly constant flow of exotic steel choices from Spyderco says "Really? That's the best you can do?"

David
If Spyderco didn't want us to be obsessed with having the latest and most exotic steels, they shouldn't have kept introducing all those new and exotic steels.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

dj moonbat wrote: If Spyderco didn't want us to be obsessed with having the latest and most exotic steels, they shouldn't have kept introducing all those new and exotic steels.
In an attempt to fulfill your wish, Spyderco just may have stopped the exotic steels, and settled on S30V as the steel they will be using as their standard. I recall a post from TazKristy to the effect that the new S30V Techno1, which was released with no warning, was found to be equivalent to the CTS-XHP version, so they decided to standardize.

That should make you happy.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

RLDubbya wrote:
dj moonbat wrote: If Spyderco didn't want us to be obsessed with having the latest and most exotic steels, they shouldn't have kept introducing all those new and exotic steels.
In an attempt to fulfill your wish, Spyderco just may have stopped the exotic steels, and settled on S30V as the steel they will be using as their standard. I recall a post from TazKristy to the effect that the new S30V Techno1, which was released with no warning, was found to be equivalent to the CTS-XHP version, so they decided to standardize.

That should make you happy.
I think you misunderstand where I stand on the issue of exotic steel obsession.
Ixstala

Post by Ixstala »

FWIW I caved and got an original Mantra. Pivot and bearings feel fine after some lube and work in. The M4 is a joy to sharpen, takes such a nice polish. Once the Mantra 3 comes out maybe the upgrades and compression lock will be enough to sway me. Time will tell.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I like the knife. If Spyderco will make a sprint with some interesting for me steel, possibly I will buy. S30v is a good steel, but I have plenty of S30V/S35Vn/S90V & S110V.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
zhyla wrote:
Ixstala wrote:Sadly, a steel swap from M4 to S30V may keep me from purchasing it.
You may have some good reason for this but in general I think this is silly. S30V is a good steel. Spyderco thinks it’s so good they use it in tons of models. We need to stop being bored with S30V and focus on design.
I'll never understand people who lament S30V being used in a folding knife. It's sufficient for anyones needs.

Because we knife junkies aren't satisfied with sufficient. If that's not obvious yet then you haven't been paying attention lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Vivi wrote:
I'll never understand people who lament S30V being used in a folding knife. It's sufficient for anyones needs.
I love pizza, but I do not want to eat it every day.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
foofie

Post by foofie »

bh49 wrote:I like the knife. If Spyderco will make a sprint with some interesting for me steel, possibly I will buy. S30v is a good steel, but I have plenty of S30V/S35Vn/S90V & S110V.
I agree. Just commenting that s90v and s110v are suddenly mundane as well :eek:
Oddly enough, I will buy partly because I currently have only one other s30v in my collection (Sliverax). Between cruwear, m4, s110v, s90v, k390... life is good! And lots of vg10.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't dislike S30V, I've said in the past that something about this particular steel really responds to my sharpening technique so I have no problem getting it very sharp with little effort. I just don't want all my knives in the same steel regardless of what type it is. Once I really like a model I immediately start wanting it in another steel, not because S30V isn't good enough, just for variety and fun even if I couldn't tell them apart in a blind test.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:I don't dislike S30V, I've said in the past that something about this particular steel really responds to my sharpening technique so I have no problem getting it very sharp with little effort. I just don't want all my knives in the same steel regardless of what type it is. Once I really like a model I immediately start wanting it in another steel, not because S30V isn't good enough, just for variety and fun even if I couldn't tell them apart in a blind test.
Well put. While I absolutely understand the knee-jerk reaction to complaints about S30V as "steel snobbery" and I agree that very few of us, if any, truly *need* more performance in practical use, there's also a good argument that most of us don't really even need multiple knives, either. I don't think anybody would be hard-pressed to "make do" with one well-rounded knife to meet most of their needs.

But if I'm going to go ahead and buy multiple, somewhat similar knife models, then I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that they at least be in different steels and different materials to help justify the collectibility of them. If I kind of like a design, but already have something similar, in the same steel and same materials, I'm a lot less likely to splurge on it these days.

The flip side, of course is that it's also easy to forget that Spyderco doesn't (and probably couldn't) exist just to satisfy the whims of us "knife knuts", even though I do think collectors and enthusiasts make up a large part of their sales. I'm sure that it's absolutely more cost effective to standardize as many models as possible on an all around "good" steel rather than have to maintain separate inventory, etc, particularly for knives made at the same factory. Whether the mass market has really gotten that much more educated about super steels in the internet age I'm not too sure, so I would guess that price and design are still probably the biggest factors for most.
Tim
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I also have a similar reaction to S30V. I know it is a very good steel with a great balance of properties. It should make for a great choice for a regular user or the average person looking for a nice knife. As a collector and knife knut though, I'm with those of you looking for more "exotic" steels, even if I know in my head that S30V is good stuff and not a bad steel by any means.

Interestingly, even just a few years ago I would have considered G10/CF laminate and S30V as very nice high end materials. Now when I look around they're considered to be "just" nice. What an age to be in, where we've progressed to the point where S30V and CF laminate are widely available enough to be considered "standard"! It's a wonderful time to be a knife enthusiast.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Can we at least get S35VN? Tougher steel with same edge holding. I really wish they would change over all models
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

I always laugh when I read people saying they are "tired" of S30V like it is a sandwich they have been eating every day.

I feel like the peel ply has a better grip than smooth titanium, though titanium does make it appear more premium. Honestly with a knife I am going to EDC, I prefer peel ply.

Also it is a small knife... Any worries about the strength of the scales in unwarranted. Who is batoning or prying apart wood with a mantra?