Lanyard Users Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Lanyards and pocket clips?

I don't use a lanyard.
76%
I use a lanyard and don't use the pocket clip.
7%
I use a lanyard and carry that knife with the pocket clip.
17%

Total votes: 143

Canazes9

Lanyard Users Poll

Post by Canazes9 »

If you use a lanyard, do you also use the pocket clip?

David
Mushroom

Re: Lanyard Users Poll

Post by Mushroom »

For the most part, I don't use a lanyard on my primary EDC knives. The one exception being the lanyard that came on my PPT Sprint. :rolleyes:

I also tie lanyards to the Ladybugs that I carry, but thats it.
-Nick :bug-red
SGK

Post by SGK »

Spyderco Landards are more for show, pocket clip is the real deal. I would like to have a couple of Spyderco Landards they are just a little high in price for a authentic.https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 4665986541
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don't use lanyards but I can see why you'd use one on Bugs and the like particular if you have large or extra large hands like brother Vivi. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Clips should definitely get placement priority over lanyard holes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I rarely use a lanyard but I don't replace the clip with it when I do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Only a few of my knives get lanyards, when they do, it doesn't replace the clip
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I use fobs on small knives to effectively extend the grip, as well as help in one hand opening. I think all knives should have a lanyard hole, if this is what you're getting at.

If I need to cut something where I don't want knife droppage, I want to be able to attach a lanyard. Simple as that. Clips and lanyard holes. I need them both.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Jazz wrote:I use fobs on small knives to effectively extend the grip, as well as help in one hand opening. I think all knives should have a lanyard hole, if this is what you're getting at.
I'm not "getting at" anything. I don't use lanyards with my knives. Lanyard holes vs pocket clip placement seems to be a frequently discussed subject. I'm attempting to expand my knowledge.

Thank you for contributing.

David
phaust

Post by phaust »

I'd be for getting rid of them on everything but keychain knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never used them except for the Ark where I made a knotted landyard to give me a four finger grip. In general I have no interest in them, even on tiny knives like the spin. If Spyderco stopped using them I wouldn't miss them.
:unicorn
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Vivi wrote:In general I have no interest in them, even on tiny knives like the spin. If Spyderco stopped using them I wouldn't miss them.
This.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Lanyard usage only on Man/Lady Bugs to get more of a grip but these get carried in leather sheaths of the Spyderco (stone) variety :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have used fobs on a few of my Kiwis, mostly when wearing jeans with extra deep watch/coin pockets. They don't have clips. Never used a lanyard on a knife, but can see the value of a wrist lanyard on competition cutters and the value of long lanyards on knives used on boats.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Jazz wrote:I use fobs on small knives to effectively extend the grip, as well as help in one hand opening. I think all knives should have a lanyard hole, if this is what you're getting at.
+1

I agree with this! My most carried knives of the Dragonfly or smaller variety all have fobs. Nothing larger than my Delicas have fobs.

e.g. Fobs: Dragonfly, Techno, Ladybug, Lava
No Fobs: Slysz, Southard, Bradley
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Don't use lanyards ever and don't use clips on nearly all my Spyderco knives. Only ones that have clips are salt 1s and pacific salts that go in the boat.

GB1,Parra 3s,and all my Delicas are clips removed. :eek:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I can see the need for a lanyard on a chopper or when using a knife where fear of dropping it exists like working from scaffolding or when on a boat.

I don't use lanyards, even on large choppers. I haven't thrown one yet. When using an axe, machete or chopper I don't chop when someone is standing in front of me anyway. I also ice fish a lot and even though I would hate to drop a knife on the ice (and I have :( ) or in a hole (thankfully I haven't) I still find lanyards awkward and an inconvienience.

It is my opinion that most of what we see called lanyards on the forums and various social media sites are actually fobs. Lanyards are meant to go around your wrist for retention. Fobs are meant to extend your grip, facilitate extraction from your pocket or simply to decorate your knife for your instagram pics.

I put fobs on small knives like the Ladybug for extra grip. Lanyard/fob holes don't bother me and even if I seldom use them I don't mind that they are there for those that do. Options are good and we all like different things.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I use fobs/pulls on alot of mine, especially ones with deep carry clips. I BPC a military almost daily with no clip so a pull really helps. Anyways in the grand scheme of things I don't put much thought into it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

To clarify my vote (for both lanyard and pocket clip), every lanyard-holed Spydie I own also has a fobbish paracord pigtail through it to ease extraction from the lip of my RFP. My aged fingers are stiff and want something more to fetch.

Can I live without a lanyard hole. My much-carried pocket-clipped Police4 (with emphasis placed on a very long blade and very short height at the expense of a lanyard hole) tells me I can.

Still, the lanyard hole and the pocket clip (with all its pre-drilled positions) are not eyesores to me. Instead, they signify intelligent design of the most human kind.

For this reason, I get irked when people who happen to find no use for these features blithely suggest that these features just disappear. Have they not taken Sal to heart?

He revealed a lot when, on the subject of Spydie rotation, he wrote: "You get to experience the spirit of the design that the designer has built into the 3 D version of his mental idea. From "muscle twitches" and "gland secretions" to a physical "thing" that you can use, test, experience and appreciate [25 November 2017]."
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anycal

Post by anycal »

Never a had a lanyard on any of my previous folders until I got my first Spyderco.

Tried it (fob) on couple smaller folders in effort to ditch the pocket clip. It got in the way of my one-handed opening and closing, so I got rid of it, and put the pocket clip back on

I have no need for lanyard hole on any of my folders. And, would prefer not to have it on few of my favorites.
Peter