Lanyard Users Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Lanyards and pocket clips?

I don't use a lanyard.
76%
I use a lanyard and don't use the pocket clip.
7%
I use a lanyard and carry that knife with the pocket clip.
17%

Total votes: 143

whiteeagle58

Re: Lanyard Users Poll

Post by whiteeagle58 »

No lanyard; pocket clip always.
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Satin S30V Black G10
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I use lanyards on all the knives that have lanyard holes; I rarely use a fob.

I make the lanyard large enough to fit my hand through, and I put a couple metal beads on it; the beads, properly placed and crimped in that proper location with small thread, insure manageability of the lanyard - it doesn't just flop around. It does make everything easier: from pulling the knife from my pocket, to finding it in a heavy coat pocket, to getting a better grip while cutting something all are that much easier with a decent lanyard.

And by decent, I don't go in for a 6" fancy braid. Can't put my wrist through a braid.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

I rarely use a lanyard or fob, except in one instance: small knives where the maker refuses to accommodate southpaws by allowing for clip placement for left side carry (i.e., the Nishijin DF2, or likely the upcoming Smock). In that case, I'll use the lanyard hole to attach a small clip like the TEC suspension clip. This helps to increase the grip real estate for my XL hands, and also has the advantage of burying the knife deeper in my pocket than the deepest deep carry clip.

So to answer OP's question more directly: I rarely use a lanyard rather than a clip, but when I do I use it AS a clip.
unicorn-beard

Post by unicorn-beard »

I like moving the clip to the same side as the lanyard hole and putting a short snake knot fob on there. Gives me something to pull on to when taking it out of my pocket, and I like the way it looks.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Most of my knives have small and simple 550 paracord lanyards. I just like them. To each their own.
FWR132

Post by FWR132 »

I always liked lanyards on knives, along with the pocket clip (it's too useful to not use).
Getting into knives, makes me get into lanyards. It's making me want to learn all kinds of knots for lanyards/fobs and such!
From my heart to yours,
Nigel
Brunei Darussalam

Current
Tenacious
Para Military 2

On the way
Endura 4
Strider

Post by Strider »

The only knife I have with a lanyard is a manbug to give me a better grip.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I'm only using a lanyard on my Rexford RUT

Regarding lanyard and clips it seems Spyderco is trying hard these days to reconcile the goat with the cabbage, with various results

I'm sure there are ways to have a lanyard without large holes in the handle, how expensive would be to put a lanyard pin or something instead of drilling large holes and moving the clip around

Otherwise just make more models that are lanyard oriented with several large holes in the handle, something like PITS would come to my mind, ATR2 would be suitable as well :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't use lanyards.

I also don't understand the tube. If I wanted a lanyard I would rather it go between the scales around the lanyard tube, so as not to make the end of the knife thicker.

I might like a lanyard as stated on a small knife as a handle extension, but otherwise no.

Just my unedjumacated thoughts.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:18 pm
...If Spyderco stopped using them I wouldn't miss them.
My thoughts exactly.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Canazes9 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:52 pm
If you use a lanyard, do you also use the pocket clip?

David
Do you mean lanyard or fob?

I have no need for a lanyard on my pocket knives but do use a fob on various pocket clip equipped folding knives - I dont see, why they should be mutually exclusive.

A fob is especially nice on the deep carry clip equipped folders.

I use lanyards (over the back of the hand and round the thumb) on a number of fixed blade knives, which can get slippery with use and where the nature of the work means, that safety is a big concern.

I dont really want a chopper or heavy duty camp knife to suddenly go flying across the camp let alone not have a positive grup on a slippery hunting knife when working inside the carcass of a deer etc.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would call this a fob rather than a lanyard. I don’t like clips. Clips are fine for clipping but they interfere with the ergonomics of the handle design. I take them off and attach a simple fob like the short snake knot or a figure eight knot to make the knife easier to find in my pocket.

I have had a few wire clips loosen and either come off when clipping to the pocket or a cause of some knife losses.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I use the pocket clip mostly, but the knives that I do use a lanyard on I do not use the pocket clip. Those are mostly specific use knives ie ones I use to process game ect.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I've tried lanyards on some of my Spydies, but always end up removing them. They tend to get in the way more than they help in my uses. The PPT still has the lanyard attached, but I'll probably remove it too.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I voted no. I have never used an actual lanyard, but I actually demand a lanyard hole. I am a believer in options. I have a tried a fob, actually some bright colored paracord tied in a loop. I am pretty sure it caused me to lose a knife. Well, I did lose a knife. It was clipped in a pocket with this fob like loop (that I had for the bright color to spot the knife if I laid it down in camp). Anyhow, I was hiking on a trail that went through a fair bit of brush and I strongly believe the loop snagged on brush and pulled it out of my pocket without my realizing it. So in general I consider a fob a nuisance, but to each his own.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am
I voted no. I have never used an actual lanyard, but I actually demand a lanyard hole. I am a believer in options. I have a tried a fob, actually some bright colored paracord tied in a loop. I am pretty sure it caused me to lose a knife. Well, I did lose a knife. It was clipped in a pocket with this fob like loop (that I had for the bright color to spot the knife if I laid it down in camp). Anyhow, I was hiking on a trail that went through a fair bit of brush and I strongly believe the loop snagged on brush and pulled it out of my pocket without my realizing it. So in general I consider a fob a nuisance, but to each his own.
The nice thing about a fob, is that it can be tugged inside the pocket if not used.
That way one avoids snagging branches and in town, sticky fingered thieves etc.
Too bad, you lost your knife. I realize, the above advice is a little late.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:48 pm
I would call this a fob rather than a lanyard. I don’t like clips. Clips are fine for clipping but they interfere with the ergonomics of the handle design. I take them off and attach a simple fob like the short snake knot or a figure eight knot to make the knife easier to find in my pocket.

I have had a few wire clips loosen and either come off when clipping to the pocket or a cause of some knife losses.
Thats a fob alright. Great pic.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’ve always been struck by how close the Dragonfly blade shape is to many lithic points.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:51 am
I’ve always been struck by how close the Dragonfly blade shape is to many lithic points.
The photo certainly illustrates the point (no pun intended).
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I once made stone tools and points the “original” way, with antlers and leather. The leaf shape was the most natural to get from a good blank and many were made this way for that reason. The one in my photo was made by a local flint knapper for a day at our local fort celebration.

Team Innovation