Christmas at my house today...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mjdragonfly

Christmas at my house today...

Post by mjdragonfly »

My first two orders of Spyderco knives arrived today yeah! So in their fancy red and gold boxes sit a Manix 2 with Gray FRCP scales in Maxamet, four Delica 4 in FRN blue, green & brown these in VG10 steel and a Delica 4 in FRN British Racing Green in ZDP 189, then there are two Dragonfly 2 one in BRG ZDP189 and one in VG10 foliage green G10. All very sharp and all very nice. I have to admit now that I have these in hand at home I am feeling a whole lot more impressed with the FRN scales especially on the Delica 4 it's almost like a smaller para 3. Very impressed with the overall everything of the Delica easy to see why it is such a popular knife.
I have to admit that I am looking at the Cat right now (no not the furry kind) the Spyderco Cat with G10 scales and CDT-BD1 steel #C129GP2 on sale for $68.00 CND (that's $55.18 USD) wow what a stunning look and build with a super steel. I think I am going to get two of these, I have to count to ten and wait a day but I think it's going to happen. Such a smart looking knife and compact with a nice deep carry wire clip Very nice leaf blade shape with a finger choil and a thumb grip. Very nice.
Then there is the Para 3 in Maxamet. I don't know when that will become available but right now I want one of those as my brother has a Para 3 in S30V and it is a really fine knife.
I also received a really nice Chinese made sharpener and have to say it is superbly built and represents tremendous value. Have got to put it together now. I am very happy. Thank you to Spyderco and to Blades Canada who are super to deal with. Thanks for reading along.
Last edited by mjdragonfly on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calgary on the Bow
BrianMcCord

Re: Christmas at my house today...

Post by BrianMcCord »

In reference to the Cat, BD-1 is considered a budget steel. I have heard nothing but good things about it, though.

Congrats on what I consider to be a major haul! Have fun
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Duplicate
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Wow, that’s a lot of knives at once. It might be too much for me to handle. Shinyitis overload. :p

I buy almost all of my knives from Canada Blades. Very competitive and awesome to deal with. Since the Canadian Border Services are cracking down on many folders being imported, my usual BladeHQ and USA Made Blade purchases have currently stopped unless I am travelling in the US and have shipments sent to my hotel.

P.s. I have a BD1 Manix 2and it is a great steel for my needs. Inexpensive, easy to sharpen and holds an edge well enough.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Congrats!! I have the manix in s110v, but a para 3 or manix in maxamet would be a grail knife for me. The ball lock is just a tad too strong for me, even though I would consider my grip to be far above average. I hope you enjoy yours! Im sure we'd love some pics :D maybe you can post in the "which spyderco is in your pocket" thread once you get some pocket time!!
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Hey Brian thank you for pointing out that BD1 is a good mid quality steel. I had mistaken it for Super Blue which is not the same. Appreciate your post. I have a lot of knives I need to learn how to flick open effortlessly so I can establish good muscle memory and be able to use them all safely. I plan to make them fairly sharp so I don't want my finger tips in the wrong places.
I am hoping to see Spderco continue to offer sprint runs of nice steel like the V-Toky2 and others. I would like to see sprint runs for Delica 4 and Dragonfly 2 in possible options such as Maxamet, M4, K390, M390, Cruware, AISI 52100, BG42, CPM CPM 3V, CPM 10V, S35VN, Rex 121 and even SM100. Lots of cool super steels to try out and collect in these easy to afford and great to use knives.
I was thinking about a Para 3 in something hard and tough as a nice addition to the collection or maybe the Mantra in titanium body with M4 blade that's a fine knife if ever there was one.
Tough steels with excellent retention and which are easy to strop back up to ultra sharp in short order so long as there is no edge damage really appeal to me. Looking forward to 2018 with Spyderco.
Last edited by mjdragonfly on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calgary on the Bow
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Excellent, cool! Thank you for sharing this and welcome to the forum.