UHC - Ultra High Carbon steel sprint run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
supracor

Re: UHC - Ultra High Carbon steel sprint run

Post by supracor »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 am
15V and REX 121 are 3.4% aren't they? Does anything in the knife world have more carbon than those?
MPL-1 has 3.8% C :)

Moreover, all of the tungsten carbide Sandrin knives definitely contain more carbon.
The diamond blades of the eye surgeons, since they are in diamond are 100% Carbon :)
Last edited by supracor on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 am
Pelagic wrote:
15V and REX 121 are 3.4% aren't they? Does anything in the knife world have more carbon than those?
Wow, I've heard of that stuff but never actually looked up the composition till now. 9% vanadium and insane amounts of chromium and carbon with virtually nothing else. It's almost like s90v on steroids.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
supracor

Post by supracor »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 am
supracor wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Wow, I've heard of that stuff but never actually looked up the composition till now. 9% vanadium and insane amounts of chromium and carbon with virtually nothing else. It's almost like s90v on steroids.
At 53 HRC is 1.5 times more wear resistant than s90v, but only 1/3 tough, and at 67 HRC is 2.2 times more wear resistant of s90v :)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 am
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 am
supracor wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
At 53 HRC is 1.5 times more wear resistant than s90v, but only 1/3 tough, and at 67 HRC is 2.2 times more wear resistant of s90v :)
I believe it! It has to be on par with the big dogs (Rex 121, Maxamet, 15v, hap72, s125v)
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
supracor

Post by supracor »

If I'm not mistaken, maxamet should have the same wear resistance of 10v, which is not very far from s90v
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

MasterChiefPink wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:52 pm
@Stuman Have you tested the Rockwell?
Hi there MasterChiefPink. Yeah I did test it. It’s rockwell is 65.5 HRC Which is around what I expected. It’s really good steel especially for a billet steel and but it’s properties really was no surprise to me how ever I’d give anything to know exactly what it’s elemental makeup is. We all know it’s an ultra high carbon steel but I think there is more to this steel than meets the eye. I think next I’m going to cut a small piece off or a few shavings and have it tested because Rosseli won’t tell us so it’s up to me to find out. I’ll get to the bottom of this even if it costs me a bit of money.
Liberty and the pursuit of happiness is everyone’s god given right :)
supracor

Post by supracor »

Stuman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 am
MasterChiefPink wrote:
Hi there MasterChiefPink. Yeah I did test it. It’s rockwell is 65.5 HRC Which is around what I expected. It’s really good steel especially for a billet steel and but it’s properties really was no surprise to me how ever I’d give anything to know exactly what it’s elemental makeup is. We all know it’s an ultra high carbon steel but I think there is more to this steel than meets the eye. I think next I’m going to cut a small piece off or a few shavings and have it tested because Rosseli won’t tell us so it’s up to me to find out. I’ll get to the bottom of this even if it costs me a bit of money.
I don't think I can help, but from a non-alloyed UHC you'll find a little bit of Mn, P, S, Si and not much more.
it should be a 1095HC basically.
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:12 am
Stuman wrote:
MasterChiefPink wrote:
I don't think I can help, but from a non-alloyed UHC you'll find a little bit of Mn, P, S, Si and not much more.
Rosseli said that he won’t give us the secret ingredient so to say because it’s his patented proprietary billet steel along with his special heat treat but did give the carbon content. It’s more than 1095 being that 1095 is the named after it’s elemental makeup. I’m also thinking about his heat treating process which can also significantly affect the martensite matrix which also helps those important carbides to develop. He also mainly uses lamented methodology in making his knives. I think this is going to be a very interesting investigation into the steel he makes & uses because I was blowen away when I stumbled across him. But I do think your right about those elements being that there are trace amounts in all steels but the question is how much and what !
MasterChiefPink

Post by MasterChiefPink »

I would gather to say as much. And thank you for the HRC test!!
We should all know that basic (10xx) steels have some so-called trace amounts of the basic trio P, S, Si. Mn is by intention, and additional Si is as well. Still keeping those two to a minimum would help the case of it being Wootz. The idea we now know is the (also "trace" amount) added vanadium. If he is able to increase the hardness by 15 to 20 points HRC over Wootz of legand, I can say he has made a great steel, regardless. And that cost is very reasonable for such work. Now obviously not for long blades, but I admire his work. Sometimes basic is the most complicated...ask Murry Carter and Liam Hoffman. I say good buy and great advancement.
They call me MetalMan...TatorSalad was taken.
(AKA Pink, War Machine, 458)

Ever notice you learn something from every argument, if you just listen a little?

Archery and edges, firearms and armwrestling, wood, carbon fiber and ceramics.

"Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do"
supracor

Post by supracor »

Stuman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:05 pm
supracor wrote:
Stuman wrote:
MasterChiefPink wrote:
Rosseli said that he won’t give us the secret ingredient so to say because it’s his patented proprietary billet steel along with his special heat treat but did give the carbon content. It’s more than 1095 being that 1095 is the named after it’s elemental makeup. I’m also thinking about his heat treating process which can also significantly affect the martensite matrix which also helps those important carbides to develop. He also mainly uses lamented methodology in making his knives. I think this is going to be a very interesting investigation into the steel he makes & uses because I was blowen away when I stumbled across him. But I do think your right about those elements being that there are trace amounts in all steels but the question is how much and what !
I'm very curious about what you will discover :)
I have several Rosellis and I would like to know what they are made of :)
MasterChiefPink

Post by MasterChiefPink »

me2 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 pm
Did some research on these knives and ultra high carbon steels in general. The knives overall get positive reviews and the UHC steels can do some pretty interesting stuff: superplasticity (ductility over 600%), extremely high compressive strength (680,000 psi) with respectable ductility (25%), extremely fine grain size (less than 1 micron), and very small carbide size (as low as 0.3 microns). They are a general class of plain carbon and low alloy steels with carbon ranging from about 1% to 2.1% carbon and carbide volume from 15 % to 30%+.
Where is this 680ksi steel?
They call me MetalMan...TatorSalad was taken.
(AKA Pink, War Machine, 458)

Ever notice you learn something from every argument, if you just listen a little?

Archery and edges, firearms and armwrestling, wood, carbon fiber and ceramics.

"Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do"
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:18 pm
Stuman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:05 pm
supracor wrote:
Stuman wrote:

I'm very curious about what you will discover :)
I have several Rosellis and I would like to know what they are made of :)
I will let you all know.
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

Oh and I nearly forgot. when I put CPM MPL-1 up on the front of the forum on “CPM MPL-1 sprint run. Yes please !. I mentioned I was going to buy some of the powdered CPM MPL-1 steel and make my own canister billet which I’m also working on. It’s very demanding because I can’t let oxygen get in whilst sintering and I also finding that it’s very sticky and the old TIPEX routine isn’t working like it does with canister Damascus so I’m going to try another few things but any input about this from any of you would be great and very helpful and welcome.
me2

Post by me2 »

MasterChiefPink wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:28 pm
me2 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 pm
Did some research on these knives and ultra high carbon steels in general. The knives overall get positive reviews and the UHC steels can do some pretty interesting stuff: superplasticity (ductility over 600%), extremely high compressive strength (680,000 psi) with respectable ductility (25%), extremely fine grain size (less than 1 micron), and very small carbide size (as low as 0.3 microns). They are a general class of plain carbon and low alloy steels with carbon ranging from about 1% to 2.1% carbon and carbide volume from 15 % to 30%+.
Where is this 680ksi steel?
There agree some links to older threads in the beginning of this thread. I also think I have the article saved on my laptop. I can email it if you have it in your signature or can PM it to me.