Baby Jess Horn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Baby Jess Horn

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received my Baby Horn yesterday and what a cool little knife! Like others have mentioned, it was really gritty at first. I gave it a little oil in the right spots and it's smooth as can be now. The blade even drops nicely when I push the lock bar. I really like the classic design! To me it's pretty much what I think of when I picture a pocket knife from when I was a kid. (A looong time ago for some of you :D). I still have the Buck Prince I carried when I was young and this Baby Horn is about the same size, has better ergos, one-handed opening, and a pocket clip. What's not to love!

So if you've been on the fence about picking one of these up (like I was), I highly recommend getting one while you can. It's not everday we have the chance to buy a sprint run of a knife that was never offered for purchase through Spyderco. One of the other members mentioned that these can be purchased at an additional discount at a certain "Shoppe". I'm really glad I took advantage of that deal. I think this is one I would've regretted not buying after they're gone.

BTW, my GF saw the knife and commented on my having "another grey knife". I guess grey's become the new black for me. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Re: Baby Jess Horn

Post by Mushroom »

Nice, I may have to pick one up while they're available at that price ;)
Handled it at SFO last November and I really liked the overall size. Though, the history behind the design is reason enough for me to want it in my collection!
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:....Though, the history behind the design is reason enough for me to want it in my collection!
It wasn't until after I ordered mine that I really looked at the history of the knife. I didn't realize that was given an experimental model number because it wasn't offered for sale through Spyderco. Kind of cool!

Coincidentally, after I got home from work yesterday, I was checking out the knife. While explaining the history to my GF there happened to be a A.G. Russel catalog sitting on the counter that I received in the mail a few days ago.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Jess Horn line is awesome!
Family photo:

Last edited by Larry_Mott on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Larry_Mott wrote:The Jess Horn line is awesome!
Family photo:

That is a valuable collection Larry. Color me jealous. Though you are missing the SE version. ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I know i am missing them, but personally i don't miss them ;)
I might pick up the stainless Baby Horn FS, a friend has one for sale, but my goal is not really to have every variant, but rather the ones i like.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The white ones are calling to me.
*Landon*
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

xceptnl wrote:The white ones are calling to me.
I can totally understand that, preciously few white handled knives around :)
jdw

Post by jdw »

^^^This. I would love to see a sprint in almost any old school Spyderco with white micarta and a steel upgrade.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I have some camel bone here, it will become a set of scales at some point in time!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the design and looks of the knife. I got scared off when so many people reported quality issues with it. I was rather bummed out because I had looked forward to its release. I am glad you got a good one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The saber ground, swedged versions look a million times better.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:I love the design and looks of the knife. I got scared off when so many people reported quality issues with it. I was rather bummed out because I had looked forward to its release. I am glad you got a good one.
Yeah I was scared off too by the reports of issues. Then I read about how others were having similar issues with the Caly 3 HAP40 and how they were correcting the issues with a good cleaning and some oil. I figured since the Baby Horn was also made in Moki they probably just need a good cleaning too. I was right, at least with the one I have. My BJH was honestly the roughest back lock I've ever felt when I took it out of the box. A little Weapon Shield in the pivot and on the tang and now it's as smooth as my G10 Dragonfly.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It's a good little knife. I love lockbacks, but this is a tad small for my tastes. Mine is sadly up for sale on BF. Prefer the Native, Worker, And Caly 3.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Nate

Post by Nate »

Just a bump to say thanks for the thread and the tip Sharp Guy!

I'm not even sure how I ended up looking into the Baby Jess Horn last night, but something led me here and when I checked the Shoppe and they had 3 left. Decided to sleep on it and went back today expecting to see no change in inventory, but they were actually down to one in stock and that sealed it, inbound!

The only bummer for me is the non-reversible clip, but I figure I can deal with that. Looks like a very cool "classic" little :spyder: edc sprint that's flown under the radar a bit. I look forward to trying it out.
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

In case it's helpful for anyone who may be interested, here is a size comparison of the Baby Horn with a PM2 and my wife's Ladybug:

It is certainly quite small, but just big enough for a four finger grip in my average sized hands. It's a keeper for me without question.

No quality issues with mine, I'm quite impressed with the action and f&f. Dead centered, solid lockup, crisp action, the blade drops free when the lock bar is depressed, and the seams are all flush (along the backspacer they're basically invisible).

The history behind this model and Spyderco's collaboration with Jess Horn is also very cool and adds to my excitement about having one in the collection. In fact, if I'm able to find any more deals on the remaining stock, I may make it two.
:spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always liked the Jess Horn models but the one I liked the most was the mid-2000 decade Sprint Run, Burgundy model with ZDP-189. It's one I would love to have again at some point. There was just something about that Jess Horn design as though it was made for ZDP-189 blade steel.

The jigged-bone model C-27 Jess Horn is one that has alluded me for years. I came close on a couple of occasions landing one but unfortunately I have never got my hands on one yet. The Jess Horn models are great and should be used as Sprint Runs for the newer supersteels coming down the pipeline IMO.
Strider

Post by Strider »

After reading this I was considering purchasing one, until I found out they are $120. Seems too high for me.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Strider wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm
After reading this I was considering purchasing one, until I found out they are $120. Seems too high for me.
Some places have them for $100 now
*Landon*
Strider

Post by Strider »

xceptnl wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:10 am
Strider wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm
Some places have them for $100 now
That seems more appropriate. I'll keep looking.