New Brouwer offering?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soulspy

Re: New Brouwer offering?

Post by soulspy »

gibs0n wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:36 pm
soulspy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm
Is that a para 3 clip?
Yes, the MXG is one of their para 3 clips.
Thank you. The weird thing is, I thought the PM2 and para 3 had the same hole pattern. And I was lead to believe that it was different from the Benchmade pattern.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

soulspy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:01 pm
Thank you. The weird thing is, I thought the PM2 and para 3 had the same hole pattern. And I was lead to believe that it was different from the Benchmade pattern.

I think the para2 and para3 are the same. The only difference in the MXG offerings is clip length.
Strider

Post by Strider »

The clip placement has been the main hangup for me. Seeing it with the lynch makes me consider it once again. But, since a new clip is essentially mandatory for me, I'll have to wait until I can get the knife for 20%, based on principle.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I ordered one from Campsaver with the 20% coupon. It still hasn't shipped :(

I've never replaced a clip on my knives, but I may fro this one. Regardless, I am really looking forward to this one as an EDC, I love the construction and design. I also think it doesn't look "scary" to non-knife people.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Strider wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:03 am
The clip placement has been the main hangup for me. Seeing it with the lynch makes me consider it once again. But, since a new clip is essentially mandatory for me, I'll have to wait until I can get the knife for 20%, based on principle.

Agree. This is a beautiful knife that suffers from the preconceived “need” for a lanyard hole, which in turn forces a really, really bad clip placement. This knife would fill a really nice niche in my EDC otherwise. It’s frustrating to see such a great design come so very close, but then loose it over something like this. :(
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

atv223 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:46 am
I ordered one from Campsaver with the 20% coupon. It still hasn't shipped :(

I've never replaced a clip on my knives, but I may fro this one. Regardless, I am really looking forward to this one as an EDC, I love the construction and design. I also think it doesn't look "scary" to non-knife people.
I'm waiting for them too.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This is so reminiscent of how a small number of complaints about the Para 3 clip blew up into a small internet storm. The options here are the same. Don’t buy it. Buy it and buy a different clip. Buy it and use it as-is.

There is another option with the Para 3 which is to move the clip.

I’m sure Spyderco is watching these discussions. I wonder how many people who like the knife the way it is will post that fact? I suspect the posts are skewed toward those who do not.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am
This is so reminiscent of how a small number of complaints about the Para 3 clip blew up into a small internet storm. The options here are the same. Don’t buy it. Buy it and buy a different clip. Buy it and use it as-is.

There is another option with the Para 3 which is to move the clip.

I’m sure Spyderco is watching these discussions. I wonder how many people who like the knife the way it is will post that fact? I suspect the posts are skewed toward those who do not.
I agree with this.

I actually love spyderco’s hourglass clips and never swapped nor was I bothered by the one on my Para3. If alternatives were not available I still would have been excited for the Brouwer—it’s so much I’ve been hunting for in an edc: spyderhole, no hump, slim profile, “traditional” handle shape, full choil. Since there were options I jumped on it, almost as much because I like the look of everything on lock side being ti as because I like slightly deeper carry.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am
I don’t know about a storm. I’m kinda looking at it more like feedback. Well...yeah, maybe with some disappointment rolled in.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

My Brouwer just arrived in the mail and I sneaked out of work for lunch to go home and pick it up. I like this knife a lot! Fit, finish, lockup, etc are all typical Taichung perfect and the ergos are fantastic. There is an awful lot of a relatively small knife sticking out of the pocket the way the clip is situated, but because of this, it is very comfortable to hold on to. I will probably play a little game of musical pocket clips when I get home tonight to see which I prefer, but as it stands, I'm really a lot more "ok" with the clip the way it is than I thought I would be. Anyways.. well done Spyderco, another fantastic design!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If it had a wire clip I would have one already.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:03 am
Ooohh, yeah a wire clip would be nice on this..

Much better with an MXG Gear clip than the original..

Idk, I seem to be in a minority, but I really like this knife!
Rick H.

Big50

Post by Big50 »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 pm

It does look much better! If you don’t mind my asking, which MXG clip is that specifically?
(They have like 4 pages of offerings)

Thanks.
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

Got mine today but I’ll wait till my Lynch clip gets here to start carrying it. I really like the size and shape and feel but the clip is bad. Nearly 1/3 of the knife sticks out of your pocket, too high for me. Overall though it’s solid.
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

So happy to see this thread refreshed today. I also received my Brouwer today and was immediately won over. Clip issues are never a factor for me, as I just never really use them. But I can understand the issues of placement for those that put a priority on that. The rest of the knife is just pure awesomeness. Great action, ergos, and all the fit and finish touches from Taichung. As a fan of the Native and preferences towards blades under 3”, this Brouwer offers a lot of distinction in the design, materials and blade shape for what is also a very utilitarian looking piece at quick glance.

In a world where Para 3 exclusives and sprints are ruling the day, I’m VERY happy to have pulled the trigger on the Brouwer.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Big50 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:56 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 pm

It does look much better! If you don’t mind my asking, which MXG clip is that specifically?
(They have like 4 pages of offerings)

Thanks.
Hi Big50, no problem at all! It's "Custom Made Titanium Deep Carry Pocket Clip For Spyderco Knife, Item# 102081, Plain." This is my go to clip for any Spyderco that it will fit.. I like it because it's not as long as some of the others.. personal preference I guess, but I think it really compliments the Brouwer.

Hopefully that's helpful. Take care!
Rick H.

Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:03 am
This!
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Mine finally arrived from Campsaver today! This was my most anticipated knife purchase of 2018. Something really appeals to me about this knife smooth slim lines, a very elegant gentleman's knife in my opinion. Very slim in the hand unlike most other Spydercos. Fit and finish are perfect, dead center and smooth as silk. I really like the ergos. Like everyone has said, the clip placement makes this ride really high. If they had placed a wire clip exactly how it is on the Spydiechef it would have worked out perfect. I may buy an after-market clip. Otherwise I love it! Glad I made the purchase.

From the photos, it looks like the Lynch clip will be a bit deeper carry then the MXG from the photos here, but that may just be the angle in the photos.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I got mine today. Top quality fit and finish. I put I Lynch deep carry on it. Clip debate is ongoing, but I put a deep carry on most of my knives, just personal preference.

My biggest curiosity is the lockbar cutout. It is quite enlarged and quite thinned. Mine actually has a bit of a double curve to it, if that makes sense.

It feels a little spongy and definitely doesn't have the thwack that some framelocks have.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Hmm. That doesn’t look great to be honest, but I guess you’ll probably never failure test a knife of this size in normal use.