New Brouwer offering?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: New Brouwer offering?

Post by ABX2011 »

That clip placement is a real head scratcher
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

You thought the clip placement on the Para 3 was a head scratcher. He said hold my Spydie.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Strider

Post by Strider »

Would love this get this one. It has the potential to get the most pocket time of anything recently announced. Will come down to price and clip though.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think the clip was placed there to improve ergos and provide a bit of a swell for the palm.

That said, if I ever get one I'll be getting one of the taller deep carry clips :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

koenigsegg wrote:You thought the clip placement on the Para 3 was a head scratcher. He said hold my Spydie.
No, the Para 3 clip is all the way back against the lanyard hole. The design prioritizes the lanyard to the clip. I don't like that but I do understand it.
The Brouwer's clip is just hanging out in no-mans land. Maybe it's for better comfort in-hand? I don't know. It's a head scratcher.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wish they would use the wire clip more or come up with a factory deep carry clip
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Strider

Post by Strider »

If they placement of the clip benefits the knife in some way, I would love for them to point out what it is. Maybe I would be more on board with the choice then.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Oh the clip, yes it takes 3/4 of the handle length. - I would make a shorter, better, titanium clip.
This is a beautiful knife, I may have to make another blade with a more desirable blade steel.

To save money the powers that be, are fitting an off the shelf clip, which is too large and a "offend no one" steel. :(
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
peetsneekes

Post by peetsneekes »

As a Dutchie I just HAVE to get this knife! When it's an success it might even get an exclusive with orange G10 :)
RichJo86

Post by RichJo86 »

Orange G10 would be nice indeed. Custom inlay Dutch lion?
peetsneekes

Post by peetsneekes »

RichJo86 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 pm
Orange G10 would be nice indeed. Custom inlay Dutch lion?
Oh, that would be nice, or three X'es of the Amsterdam Meetup :-)

RichJo86

Post by RichJo86 »

But not limited to 80 than :P
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Don't really care for orange but would be on a 'Mokum special' with the Andreas crosses.. :D
Strider

Post by Strider »

I see this is now listed on a few sights. More expensive than I was expecting.

As of right now, it appears to just be a stock photo. Do we know if the pocket clip location changed at all from where it was when it was first shown?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Strider wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 am
I see this is now listed on a few sights. More expensive than I was expecting.

As of right now, it appears to just be a stock photo. Do we know if the pocket clip location changed at all from where it was when it was first shown?
I don’t think so, here is a link to Mr. Blonde’s pics.

I’m excited to see this come out. When I attended the Amsterdam Meet in 2015 it was one of the nicer edc style knives I handled. At the time it was a full custom that Jerry brought with him and there were no concrete plans to make it.

I also don’t love the clip location but I do think the spoon style on a smaller Ti knife like this is the right choice. I find them to be more secure than the wire version against smooth materials.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

This looks great. It just looks like a good pocket knife. From the video it looks small enough I could take the clip off and drop in in the pocket and it be fine. I’ll definitely be getting one of these for my father and if it’s released in and steel other than s30v I’ll get one for me.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I've been looking forward to the Brouwer.
The dealer specs don't give blade size yet.
The price is higher than I had hoped and I'm not sure I'll be able to warm up to that forest green scale.
That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing and, hopefully, owning this.
peetsneekes

Post by peetsneekes »

Ik was hoping our dear importers like knivesandtools import the Brouwer for a special price/ variant for the locals ... "Dutch Design" Pride :-D
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

So, the Mid Year Supplement says the Brouwer will have a titanium frame but a stainless steel liner under the G10 scale. That steel liner is a big disappointment. Liners are moisture traps and I've had steel liners rust on their scale sides on Taichung folders in the past. I was really looking forward to the Brouwer, but the steel liner instead of titanium has dropped the Brouwer from must buy to might buy for me. It's a frustrating material choice.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm
So, the Mid Year Supplement says the Brouwer will have a titanium frame but a stainless steel liner under the G10 scale. That steel liner is a big disappointment. Liners are moisture traps and I've had steel liners rust on their scale sides on Taichung folders in the past. I was really looking forward to the Brouwer, but the steel liner instead of titanium has dropped the Brouwer from must buy to might buy for me. It's a frustrating material choice.
They could've even gone linerless!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln