The Ankerson/Sanders Bouie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Re: The Ankerson/Sanders Bouie

Post by Popsickle »

Stunning blade. I may have to get one.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Congrats Jim! Have to get one just to support the name attached to this. I've learned much reading your posts and you've always answered my questions when asked in the past.
It'll rest next to my Cruwear Millie when they're not in use.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Definitely a pickup for me. Would love to see it ALSO released in CPM 3V for the additional corrosion resistence. Great design. This is the fixed blade many Spydie fans have been asking for!
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

In addition 4V is an outstanding steel selection.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Long time coming Jim! Really like your design & steel choice! Can't wait to get one.
Been looking for a western / cowboy / Sheffield style bowie for years. This will be the highest performance one out there!
Also nice to be finally able to talk about it publicly. LOL LOL
Very excited for you!
Mark
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Figured I might as well add this one here too:

Start at 8:33.

https://youtu.be/j3RFBLX ... 5g&index=2
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MCM wrote:Long time coming Jim! Really like your design & steel choice! Can't wait to get one.
Been looking for a western / cowboy / Sheffield style bowie for years. This will be the highest performance one out there!
Also nice to be finally able to talk about it publicly. LOL LOL
Very excited for you!
Mark
That's the main thing, a few people like you and Lance knew about it for over 4 years when I first got the idea of the basic design that I wanted to do.

When I was at Blade Show walking around, part of that was research for my design, I wanted it to be different than anything that was out. That's when I 1st told Sal about the idea also. I wanted to improve on the general idea of a field knife taking some of the best ideas while removing some of the things I thought weren't needed. All based my own experiences in the field while in the USMC back in the 80's and testing a lot of large blades over the decades. We wanted to keep the size of the knife reasonable and keep the weight down.

So it has been a long time coming for sure.

Back in the 80's there really wasn't many good choices for field knives back then. Randall was the absolute best hands down that was available, but way out of reach for the normal Infantry guys. Most of us carried K-Bars, Buck fixed blades or one of those cheap survival knives that were on the market back then. As far as actual use in the field most of the knives were lacking on one point or another IMO.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Any idea of when this will drop? Or who will take a pre-order?

It ticks _a lot_ of boxes I've been wanting to hit lately. I'll probably pre-order one as soon as the pre-orders go live somewhere.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TomAiello wrote:Any idea of when this will drop? Or who will take a pre-order?

It ticks _a lot_ of boxes I've been wanting to hit lately. I'll probably pre-order one as soon as the pre-orders go live somewhere.
Only Spyderco knows at this point so I am sure they will let everyone know once it's time. :)

That's all way above me that's for sure.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks. Great work on this. I've been actively hunting for a good 4v fixed blade...perfect timing here.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Yep, remember having dinner with you and Lance at Blade that year.
All 3 of us talking about ideas for new knives........
Not an easy thing to do, start to finish. It's a lot of work and some luck. Definitely not a breeze.
Am still specing the Spyderco exclusives for KW, just for fun these days as I still enjoy it.
Came up with 2 new ones approved for 2018 that were turned in at SHOT last week.
Been doing it for about 10 yrs now.
Might turn in a new folder design at Blade. Will see how it comes out.
Looking forward to both yours and Lance's new fixed blades!....... As mentioned, can't wait!
The 3 of us will have to get together for dinner at Blade this year and catch up.
Fun stuff!
Last edited by MCM on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MCM wrote:Yep, remember having dinner with you and Lance at Blade that year.
All 3 of us talking about ideas for new knives........
Not an easy thing to do, start to finish. It's a lot of work and some luck. Definitely not a breeze.
Am still specing the Spyderco's for KW, just for fun these days as I still enjoy it.
Came up with 2 new ones approved for 2018 that were turned in at SHOT last week.
Been doing it for about 10 yrs now.
Might turn in a new folder design at Blade. Will see how it comes out.
Looking forward to both yours and Lance's new fixed blades!....... As mentioned, can't wait!
The 3 of us will have to get together for dinner at Blade this year and catch up.
Fun stuff!

Hopefully I get to go to Blade this year, really looking forward to getting together with you guys again so I hope things work out.

I hope your designs take hold, you deserve it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote: Imo, this is prolly the toughest, best allround fixed blade Spyderco has ever put out.

Hmm...Rock Salt? H1 is pretty tough but won't hold the edge that 4V will.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

This one should definitely tickle the fancy of a lot of serious knife aficionado's. If the price comes in right, Spyderco should sell a bunch'o these. Should also draw attention of previous non-Spyderco knife nuts. :D :spyder: Maybe they should do this one as a lost leader? ;)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I have the privilege of owning one of these made by custom maker Darrin Sanders, and if my budget allows, I will pick up a production one too. I loved the design as soon as I saw it. It is without a doubt my favorite large fixed blade intended to be a cutting tool (and not just a chopper/axe alternative or a machete). The Ankerson/Sanders blade is a cutting machine! 4V, blade stock that combines sufficient toughness because of the steel choice and HT, with excellent cutting performance because of its grind and HT, broad blade tapering to a useful and still strong narrower tip, and a less visible but very important feature - it is really light weight for its size, so it is very comfortable to carry. Very ergonomic in handling. I had Darrin use terotuff for the handle, which is grippy and my favorite cold weather material, and also very light. If I sound enamored of it, I am :) It is truly a no compromise needed choice if you carry a large blade.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote: Imo, this is prolly the toughest, best allround fixed blade Spyderco has ever put out.

Really? I knew H1 is rust proof, but didn't know it was that tough too. That's pretty cool then.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Really? I knew H1 is rust proof, but didn't know it was that tough too. That's pretty cool then.

I saw somebody chop at coconuts with his and the blade bent to one side, and rolled at the edge, but no chipping or breaking and it was bent back to shape with no (apparent) ill effects.

Not much later I bought my Rock Salt sprint :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ThePeacent wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I saw somebody chop at coconuts with his and the blade bent to one side, and rolled at the edge, but no chipping or breaking and it was bent back to shape with no (apparent) ill effects.

Not much later I bought my Rock Salt sprint :D
Lol, wow. I had no idea! That's awesome
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Any idea what the price tag will be on this functional looking blade?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That Respect is awesome. I'll certainly be getting one of those too!