New to Knives!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jeepman665

New to Knives!

Post by jeepman665 »

I have just started getting an interest in knives. I bought my first which is a Kershaw. Curious of what I see on Amazon being sold are these the real thing or knock offs? Also what would be an nice EDC which is kinda afforadable? Thank you!
whiteeagle58

Re: New to Knives!

Post by whiteeagle58 »

Welcome to the forum! I tend to avoid Amazon, and definitely eBay. My first "Spyderco" was purchased on eBay, and it was a Chinese forgery. I learned my lesson the hard way. I've heard of others not fairing much better on Amazon, but some do OK there. I'm just leery now, and will only do business with an authorized Spyderco retailer. I'm fortunate to have a local authorized Spyderco dealer close to home, so that's where I do business now. Research this site, and I'm sure you will find legitimate dealers. Good luck with your new hobby! :)
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Satin S30V Black G10
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Welcome! I too just recently found an appreciation for quality pocket knives. You might want to keep an eye on the Deals thread, where users mostly post links to reputable dealers:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... start=2340

What Kershaw did you start with? Kershaw makes some great knives for the money (my Leek and Skyline are in my pocket right now). Good luck selecting your first Spyderco - there are too many great options to choose from. Whatever you get, it might send your Kershaw to backup duty.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

jeepman665 wrote:I have just started getting an interest in knives. I bought my first which is a Kershaw. Curious of what I see on Amazon being sold are these the real thing or knock offs? Also what would be an nice EDC which is kinda afforadable? Thank you!
Go for a Tenatious, it was my first Spyderco and still works it's way into my EDC. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
jeepman665

Post by jeepman665 »

Ty for the info. I did order a Tenacious from Blade HQ. I bought the one with camo scales.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

jeepman665 wrote:Ty for the info. I did order a Tenacious from Blade HQ. I bought the one with camo scales.
Your welcome and you won't be disappointed. Oh yeah, welcome to the fourm! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jeepman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome jeepman.
You should plan on picking up a sharpener before too long. The sharpmaker is a good place to start.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome!!! :D Be careful of the rabbit hole!! :eek: John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome to the forum. The Dragonfly Salt SE is a great place to start. Partial to the Hawkbill Dfly myself :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't listen to Zrows, he'll have you polishing SE scallops. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Welcome jeepman. A Delica and a Sharpmaker is always a great place to start. If you do a lot of outdoor activities or subject your knives to harsh environments then you can’t go wrong with any of the Salt knives. I’m rather partial to the Pacific Salt myself.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome jeepman! For budget friendly knives take a look the value line. One of my first Spydies was a Persistence (along with a Dragonfly). If I was starting over today I think I'd take a hard look at the new Polestar or Alcyone. I have a whole bunch of more expensive knives and I'm still thinking about buying a Alcyone. A Delica is also an excellent choice that won't break the bank!

Enjoy your time here! Do your research here, ask questions etc, and you'll get a lot of fun with this hobby.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome. Get some Spydies, bro. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I recommend the vtoku sprint hehe :cool:
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
jeepman665

Post by jeepman665 »

Thank you all for the info. I really don't have any experience in sharpening knives so I am kinda afraid of doing more harm! Is that Sharpmaker that is mentioned here fairly easy to use for someone inexperienced?? Thanks all.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Yeah you should be able to use it to touch up your tenacious or kershaw after just watching a few videos on using it.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut