Techno to be discontinued

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Techno to be discontinued

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Saw Eric Glesser mention in the knifecenter video that the Techno 2 will replace the Techno in the line up and that the Techno will be discontinued. Bit of an own goal if you ask me, now no one will buy a Techno until they are officially discontinued and the price is lowered.

I just wonder why they always decide to discontinue popular knives? They did the same with the GB1, a knife which in my opinion is better than the GB2. Why can't they sell both variants?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Re: Techno to be discontinued

Post by Evil D »

There's only so much production capacity, and eventually you run into redundancy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

In America, out with the old and in with the new is our standard MO. Now only if we could learn from our past lessons, and not be forced to relive them or take two steps back, we’d probably all be better off...

Better get those Technos now, if the Slysz Bowie evaporation rate is anything close to comparable! :)
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Ugh, sorry, you’d think I’d know how to post by now!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

It's inevitable but it's up to our pocket books.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Or, it could just be the fact that we "afis" represent a very small niche segment of the market and those of us excited by any one model an even smaller niche. Assumptions of which models are "good sellers" based on "our" interest in them are likely to be false.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Agreed about the GB1 and GB2. I thought it made sense to have a new brother rather than a replacement. The Techno/Techno2 seem much more similar IMHO, but I guess that's hard to say until I have one in hand.

Wonder if the Techno will fly off the shelves at full price before it get reduced. It's much more expensive now than when it gained a lot of fan fare, but still a must have for many... even if it fits squarely in the pocket jewelry category.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Techno has been in production for many years. I don't really understand the question. We've got 4 Delica/Endura generations. 5 Native generations. Paramilitary and Manix are both in their 2nd generations. Successful designs get iterated.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Sal told me at Blade Show '16 that the Techno would've been discontinued and replaced by the Techno 2 already if they hadn't still been selling the Techno so well. Either that wasn't happening anymore and/or they decided it was just a good time with all the other turnover.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

He said "At some point they'd discontinue the Techno" which is a big difference between saying it's being discontinued.
Johnnie1801 wrote:Saw Eric Glesser mention in the knifecenter video that the Techno 2 will replace the Techno in the line up and that the Techno will be discontinued. Bit of an own goal if you ask me, now no one will buy a Techno until they are officially discontinued and the price is lowered.

I just wonder why they always decide to discontinue popular knives? They did the same with the GB1, a knife which in my opinion is better than the GB2. Why can't they sell both variants?