Shot Show surprises

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Shot Show surprises

Post by vivi »

Watching that video the zoomer is looking really good. The Respect looks fun too!
:unicorn
Bullgoose

Post by Bullgoose »

Smock, Mantra 3, Brouwer, Techno 2 and Amalgam are all winners for me. I really like the simplicity and the blade shape of the brouwer. Very excited for the smock as well even though I also have an order in for a custom straight from the man himself.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

This is pretty much the stuff I was hoping to see in the catalog, and then some! There's literally nothing in those vids that does not at the very least pique my interest. I obviously won't be buying everything, but it sure is nice to see Spyderco in such top form. Amazing job, both on the CQI and the new models!
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just watched a bunch of the BHQ videos from the various knife companies. I feel like we've reached 'peak flipper'.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm very excited as well about the Respect. I love how thick the blade stock is.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Just watched a bunch of the BHQ videos from the various knife companies. I feel like we've reached 'peak flipper'.
Yeah, we sure have.
- best wishes, Jazz.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I noticed that too. Not to point fingers or make accusations but I hope Spyderco isn't following this trend that ZT and KAI have been on for the last few years. I am not a big fan of flippers, the Southard being one of the few that i have ever really enjoyed carrying and using.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I think Spyderco would do well by following ZT.
ZT makes awesome knives to be sure.
But, I love flippers, so there you have it :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, the best thing about a Spyderco flipper is (usually) it doesn't HAVE to be flipped to be opened. Then the flipper is little more than a nice guard. If you really hate the tab being there it's not hard to grind off, just ask me how.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:4v! That knife is going to be fun.

The Python looks much better to my eye than the Nirvana. Might actually be tempted by that one.
Cool to see some 4V show up. Hoping to see some 4V and/or 3V sprints in the near future in the Millie, Manix XL, Manix, PM2, Para 3, Native 5, Shaman, and Lum Tanto Folder!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I should say that Spyderco hasn't reached 'peak flipper' flippers are a small part of the Spydie line.

I just meant the market seems to be saturated with them.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Well, the best thing about a Spyderco flipper is (usually) it doesn't HAVE to be flipped to be opened. Then the flipper is little more than a nice guard. If you really hate the tab being there it's not hard to grind off, just ask me how.
I agree wholeheartedly. A flipper on a Spyderco will always be a “secondary” opening method in my opinion. One can choose to use it or not or can even grind it off. I don’t have much interest in a knife that can only be opened with a flipper, but options are good.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:Well, the best thing about a Spyderco flipper is (usually) it doesn't HAVE to be flipped to be opened. Then the flipper is little more than a nice guard. If you really hate the tab being there it's not hard to grind off, just ask me how.
Problem is, we can't even get them here now, not that I like flippers at all to start with.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Problem is, we can't even get them here now, not that I like flippers at all to start with.
You mean because of the new Canadian laws? Bro buy one and ship it to me, I'll grind the tab off to your liking and mail it back to you.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I love the fact that the spydiehole enables a ton of different deployment options. I like a good flipper, and I like adjusting them to my liking, but since becoming a spyder-fan, I now have many more favorite ways to open a knife.

but yes, the custom and midtech and mid-to-high end is definitely saturated by flippers.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:
I’m thinking WW’s will still be receiving these. You’ll just have to purchase flippers through them.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I should say that Spyderco hasn't reached 'peak flipper' flippers are a small part of the Spydie line.

I just meant the market seems to be saturated with them.
On a lot of the general knife forums I go to it seems like 9/10 of the folders posted are flippers. Not at all surprised to see Spyderco try to capture some of this market.

I don't have any interest in a flipper specifically. If I like the overall design it wouldn't hold me back either, so long as I can use the thumb hole.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Anyone at Shot ask Sal about the status of the Maxamet PM2?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

hoimin wrote:
thewoodpecker wrote:Anyone else wondering why they didn't go wire clip on the Brouwer or why the clip is placed so far down the handle?
Yes, I wondered the same thing. I also wouldn't mind it as a liner lock/compression lock, rather than RIL.
Yeah, for the size it would make for a very lightweight option in a liner or compression lock although the RIL will give it a nice heft in the hand.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

thewoodpecker wrote:
hoimin wrote:
thewoodpecker wrote:Anyone else wondering why they didn't go wire clip on the Brouwer or why the clip is placed so far down the handle?
Yes, I wondered the same thing. I also wouldn't mind it as a liner lock/compression lock, rather than RIL.
Yeah, for the size it would make for a very lightweight option in a liner or compression lock although the RIL will give it a nice heft in the hand.
I would be all over this knife if it had a different lock type.