Spyderco Knives at 2018 SHOT Show with Eric Glesser

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Spyderco Knives at 2018 SHOT Show with Eric Glesser

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/5oj7aGpjrlI
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Peter1960

Re: 2018 Spyderco Knives by Eric Glesser

Post by Peter1960 »

Interesting video, thanks for the information RamZar! Techno 2 is my favourit with it's nice blade shape and better practicable blade thickness too. I fear the new prices will habe some cashioning effect to my enthusiasm in general.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Peter1960 wrote:Interesting video, thanks for the information RamZar! Techno 2 is my favourit with it's nice blade shape and better practicable blade thickness too. I fear the new prices will habe some cashioning effect to my enthusiasm in general.
Yeah, that surely put a bit of a wet blanket over the enthusiasm for 2018's purchases.. Good job my primary target is the vintage models :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

That Mantra3 is mine :eek: Not so excited for the rest .....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'm circling like a buzzard over the O.G. Mantra which i hope will get a nice discount when disco'd :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
haayema

Post by haayema »

I want them all! Except the axe maybe.
osprey

Post by osprey »

While I understand the decision to use S30V on many of these knives, it has somewhat tempered my excitement.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Really excited to try the Amalgam as well as the Techno 2
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

osprey wrote:While I understand the decision to use S30V on many of these knives, it has somewhat tempered my excitement.
Certainly, the switch away from M4 takes the Mantra 3 out of the "definitely" column, into the "thinking about it" column.
vivi

Post by vivi »

those clipitools look slick.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Vivi wrote:those clipitools look slick.
Agreed, and for the price I am likely to pick up a few for vehicle carry if not more.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The mantra 3 looks better in this video than it did in the knife news video. I’m not sure why.

I’d still prefer it kept the M4 steel though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Surprise, surprise, surprise! Delicious new items left out of the new 2018 catalog. I love it.

I originally had a couple of new 2018 knives on my radar from the catalog, but that number has grown. I've already bought the Mantra 3 and Techno 2 and my wallet doesn't even know it yet.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Likes!
Slimmer closed profiles in general
The Brouwer contains a lot of the elements I like in one neat package! A wire clip coming off the final standoff would put this over the edge.
Comp lock flippers every where!

In general, this is not a very traditional Spyderco lineup of new knives but it is an interesting direction to venture into.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is going to be an expensive year and I have not gotten the ones that we were told about at the end of last year!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Again, Techno 2 is really exciting to finally see more of! Also, big fan of the blade shapes on the Clipitools, will have to give those a try.

I can't help but love the Warrior Hawk! I really don't have as much use for it as I would imagine, but I still need it!

Also would've preferred to see M4 on the Mantra 3 as well.
-Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If the new flipper bearing system can satisfy the action junkies, Spyderco will be potentially entering a new level of industry dominance.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

abbazaba wrote:If the new flipper bearing system can satisfy the action junkies, Spyderco will be potentially entering a new level of industry dominance.
Yes, or the ADHD buyers grow tired and the flipper hype train derails *already IMO* :)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mantra 3: Eric told me that they were doing a Mantra 3 with a compression lock and a stainless steel at Blade '16, so that gives us an idea of how long it can take these things to develop. I love my Mantra, but I am super tempted by this one. I prefer the all-Ti look, but I do like this one a good bit. This ought to be a good companion to the Sliverax in the line-up.
Amalgam, Brouwer, Smock: These all look pretty good.
Techno 2: YES. Marcin Slysz had a Mouse II in the Spyderco prototype case at Blade '16, and I was fortunate enough to hold it. I've been a big fan of the Mouse II design and I've wanted to see it in a Techno 2 form for a while, so this is going to probably be a must-buy for me.

You know, I was going to slow down on knife purchases this year, but that's one, maybe 2 or 3 more models to buy, outside of what else they may show us at Blade or Amsterdam.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Vivi wrote:those clipitools look slick.
Yeah, definite step up from the previous ones. Not sure about the price point (the old ones made a lot of sense at ~$20). Also the rescue version should still have a bottle opener, that's a bit of a miss I think.