Thickness behind the edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmarsh667

Thickness behind the edge?

Post by jmarsh667 »

Title say's it what spyderco is the thinnest behind the edge? Caly series? Delica? Sprig? Maybe we can start a thread with the thickness behind the edge off all the models?
Bloke

Re: Thickness behind the edge?

Post by Bloke »

Do a quick search brother, I vaguely remember a thread on the very topic. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I made a thread trying to get a database started but it didn't get much traction.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 7#p1130268
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jmarsh667 wrote:Title say's it what spyderco is the thinnest behind the edge? Caly series? Delica? Sprig? Maybe we can start a thread with the thickness behind the edge off all the models?
No idea how you'd consistently measure "behind the edge" thickness, but given they're FFG and use 1.5mm blade stock, I'd guess the K04 or K05 Utility kitchen knives would win that competition.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
No idea how you'd consistently measure "behind the edge" thickness,
Production variables are one issue, along with consistently measuring in the same place and with reliable tools, but if enough people contribute those numbers can be averaged and at least give us a decent reference.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmarsh667

Post by jmarsh667 »

Well just using calipers near the bottom and middle of the blade would work. I understand there will be variances but it would help. Me personally I'm looking for the thinnest can find on a spyderco.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Differences in techniques of measuring, and variances in production make this difficult. I find it easier to use a micrometer rather than calipers to take measurements. I have an old one left to me be my father-in-law. Many years ago he was a tool and die maker and engineer with G.E. With a micrometer you can slide the blade into the opening allowing for really precise and consistent measurement. I find I come up with more variances using a caliper. (My caliper is not the best) The K09 is possibly the thinnest behind the edge in the Spydie world? Not at home or I'd take a measurement. As Paul says the K04 and K05 may also be among the thinnest bte.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

You can eyeball this even from pictures since Spyderco seems to use similar secondary bevel angles on most of their knives. The height of the secondary bevel is proportional to the thickness behind the edge. A very thin-behind-the-edge blade will have a very thin bevel.
Tdog wrote:Differences in techniques of measuring, and variances in production make this difficult. I find it easier to use a micrometer rather than calipers to take measurements.
Inexpensive digital calipers are more than sufficient for measuring this sort of thing.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

For what it's worth I'm a Toolmaker/Machinist by trade and I believe measuring the thickness behind the edge with either micrometer or vernier is fairly hit and miss with all the inherent variables that go with trying to measure some point along a taper.

I'd be inclined to lay the blade flat on a flat surface like a machine bed, marking off table, ground flat stock .. Set up a dial indicator and go from there. Just my 2c worth.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

So far for me, Mantra and Urbans in FRN.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:For what it's worth I'm a Toolmaker/Machinist by trade and I believe measuring the thickness behind the edge with either micrometer or vernier is fairly hit and miss with all the inherent variables that go with trying to measure some point along a taper.

I'd be inclined to lay the blade flat on a flat surface like a machine bed, marking off table, ground flat stock .. Set up a dial indicator and go from there. Just my 2c worth.
I still have my B&S mic & calipers from back when I worked with machine tools a lot. I get what you're saying about getting consistent readings when measuring a taper. I have a magnifying light set up next to my work bench and I find that with my mic I can get reasonably good readings right at the shoulder of the primary secondary bevels. Maybe not perfect but pretty good. I like your idea of using a dial indicator. I think I'll give that a try.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote: I like your idea of using a dial indicator. I think I'll give that a try.
No doubt there are many ways to skin a cat. ;)

At least this way, once you set up you can measure as many knives as you like with a certain degree of accuracy and make a direct comparison.

Having said that you first need a dial indicator and I’d presume most people don’t have one.
sustratiotes

Post by sustratiotes »

My measurements are more 'repeatable' with my mic compared to calipers. I don't have a dial indicator, but as mentioned, this sounds like it may give the most consistent and repeatable measurements. Can anyone with a dial indicator confirm? ...and if so, any recommendations for dial indicator sources?
Thanks!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sustratiotes wrote:Can anyone with a dial indicator confirm? ...and if so, any recommendations for dial indicator sources?
Thanks!
I plan on setting up mine when time permits. You can buy a dial indicator from a number of places including Amazon.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jmarsh667

Post by jmarsh667 »

I have calipers and a micrometer because my father was a machinest/cnc programmer for 37 years, I have access to them. I'm just go for rough estimates and mainly looking for a folder not a kitchen knife. I would like my next purchase to be very thin behind the edge, also I would say around 1-2mm behind the edge would work. Maybe right at the shoulder for a measurement spot, although I understand it will not be perfect but just to get a good idea. I do think more knives should be made around 10-15 thousandths not 30-50 like alot of knives although spyderco is much better about geometry than most if not nearly all production companies. After all we are buying knives not pry bars, although it is amazing how many people outright abuse there knives. Even though most of those don't spend what most spydies cost.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sustratiotes wrote:My measurements are more 'repeatable' with my mic compared to calipers. I don't have a dial indicator, but as mentioned, this sounds like it may give the most consistent and repeatable measurements. Can anyone with a dial indicator confirm? ...and if so, any recommendations for dial indicator sources?
Thanks!
I’m not sure a dial indicator and base alone would be ideal and thinking about it a little more it may well be an exercise in frustration.

In a perfect world you’d set the dial indicator in or to the locked spindle of a vertical mill. You’d clamp the blade to the table (via parallels perhaps?) and use the traverse (or cross) slide to move the table with the blade clamped to it under the dial indicator in a controlled manner once you had it reading zero either off the table or parallels as the case may be.

Hope all this makes sense because it’s very easy to do but much harder to explain, particularly to someone not familiar with machine tools.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I think you should try a Caly Jr. In my opinion, the burgundy Sprint run I have is SUPER thin behind the edge, the thinnest I have seen on a Spyderco other then their kitchen knives, it’s literally a light saber. I’d definitely say wait and order the upcoming Sprint Run Caly Jr in Superblue.
Josh
sustratiotes

Post by sustratiotes »

Bloke wrote:
sustratiotes wrote:My measurements are more 'repeatable' with my mic compared to calipers. I don't have a dial indicator, but as mentioned, this sounds like it may give the most consistent and repeatable measurements. Can anyone with a dial indicator confirm? ...and if so, any recommendations for dial indicator sources?
Thanks!
I’m not sure a dial indicator and base alone would be ideal and thinking about it a little more it may well be an exercise in frustration.

In a perfect world you’d set the dial indicator in or to the locked spindle of a vertical mill. You’d clamp the blade to the table (via parallels perhaps?) and use the traverse (or cross) slide to move the table with the blade clamped to it under the dial indicator in a controlled manner once you had it reading zero either off the table or parallels as the case may be.

Hope all this makes sense because it’s very easy to do but much harder to explain, particularly to someone not familiar with machine tools.

Bloke, thanks for the additional info, but this is quickly exceeding my tool and equipment inventory. I'll watch the thread to see which models are the thinnest as determined by those with more toys than I have to play with. My mic can tell me which are the thinnest of my current inventory and this thread may lead to another model I should try since I would like to get a 'slicer'. I checked my total knife inventory and it seems I'm one short of current capacity...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sustratiotes wrote:Bloke, thanks for the additional info, but this is quickly exceeding my tool and equipment inventory. I'll watch the thread to see which models are the thinnest as determined by those with more toys than I have to play with. My mic can tell me which are the thinnest of my current inventory and this thread may lead to another model I should try since I would like to get a 'slicer'. I checked my total knife inventory and it seems I'm one short of current capacity...
You're most welcome and I hope I haven't confused you. :)

Ah, hahaha! Yeah, we're all short of something, ay? :rolleyes:

I'm a little (probably a lot) manic, couple that with my trade background add the curse of perfectionism and nothing is simple or easy for me. :eek:

It's madness! :o
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I usually see thickness behind the edge measured as the width of the blade where the edge bevel and primary grind meet. By this measurement the thinnest Spydies would be the ones that are zero ground or close to it like the Nilakka, Pukko and Wolfspider.

I do not think that looking at a picture of the edge bevels is a good way to tell. My Golden Spydies have been consistently around 30 degrees. My Japanese Spydies have been all over the place and my Taichung Spydies have consistently been very obtuse, usually around 40 degrees but sometimes a bit more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?