Thickness behind the edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Thickness behind the edge?

Post by The Deacon »

With their relatively broad blades, full flat grinds, and 2mm blade stock, I'd expect the various incarnations of the Chaparral to be strong contenders for the title of "Spyderco's thinnest behind the edge folder".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I like the idea of putting a consistent bevel on and looking at the width. I do a 10dps primary on everything. My Nilakka turned out to be quite thick behind the edge, a huge disappointment, so it's entirely possible to get a lemon, no matter the reputation.
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

Of the models currently in production by Spyderco the Spydiechef is the thinnest behind the edge, and by some margin. Quoting a post I made in another thread near to when I bought one:
Steel_Drake wrote:I picked up one of these yesterday, mostly based what I'd been hearing about it having a fairly thin edge geometry and wanting to try LC200n steel.

I am quite amazed at just how thin behind the edge mine was out of the box. Now, note, I did go through all five that my local retailer had received and deliberately picked the one I felt was thinnest behind the edge, but still:

Spine: 0.113"
1/4" back from the apex: ~0.030"-0.034" thick (I have custom fixed blades with similar numbers).
1/32" back from the apex (a standardized way of measuring "at the shoulder to the edge bevel" thickness): ~0.015"
Stock edge bevel angle: ~15 degrees per side.

To give you an idea of how thin that is compared to the average modern folding knife, I will only note that the picture in this post was taken after I had lowered the edge bevel angle to about 10 degrees per side and put on a ~20 dps DMT EEF microbevel. If you look at how wide ~10 dps edge bevels are on virtually all other modern production folding knives, that will give you a good idea at how thin the edge geometry on this knife is by comparison.
I would love to see Spyderco introduce a few more models with this kind of lean geometry eventually.
jmarsh667

Post by jmarsh667 »

I agree with you on that. The Taichung are more obtuse for me too and the Golden's usually a perfect 30 but the Seki city are kinda off here and there. Although I'm talking about non zero ground knives. I just would like one really thin without doing it my self you know. Good call on that Caly Jr in SuperBlue as SB is one of my Favorites if not my fav so far besides 52100. I was just looking at one on BladeHQ before reading your post and now I'm really excited for a full non laminate super blue blade! Thank you all for your help. Just wondering does anyone have a Caly 3 or 3.5 in SB/ZDP-189-vg they could measure? I'm hoping to find a SB caly 3.5 from someone selling one.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I usually see thickness behind the edge measured as the width of the blade where the edge bevel and primary grind meet. By this measurement the thinnest Spydies would be the ones that are zero ground or close to it like the Nilakka, Pukko and Wolfspider.

I do not think that looking at a picture of the edge bevels is a good way to tell. My Golden Spydies have been consistently around 30 degrees. My Japanese Spydies have been all over the place and my Taichung Spydies have consistently been very obtuse, usually around 40 degrees but sometimes a bit more.
Exactly. A zero ground blade has (in theory) a thickness behind the edge of zero.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Steel_Drake wrote:Of the models currently in production by Spyderco the Spydiechef is the thinnest behind the edge, and by some margin. Quoting a post I made in another thread near to when I bought one:
Steel_Drake wrote:I picked up one of these yesterday, mostly based what I'd been hearing about it having a fairly thin edge geometry and wanting to try LC200n steel.

I am quite amazed at just how thin behind the edge mine was out of the box. Now, note, I did go through all five that my local retailer had received and deliberately picked the one I felt was thinnest behind the edge, but still:

1/4" back from the apex: ~0.030"-0.034" thick (I have custom fixed blades with similar numbers).
1/32" back from the apex (a standardized way of measuring "at the shoulder to the edge bevel" thickness): ~0.015"

To give you an idea of how thin that is compared to the average modern folding knife, I will only note that the picture in this post was taken after I had lowered the edge bevel angle to about 10 degrees per side and put on a ~20 dps DMT EEF microbevel. If you look at how wide ~10 dps edge bevels are on virtually all other modern production folding knives, that will give you a good idea at how thin the edge geometry on this knife is by comparison.
I would love to see Spyderco introduce a few more models with this kind of lean geometry eventually.

In the other thread there were reports that the Chaparral is around .013 at the shoulder of the bevel. The Mantra 1 is also quite thin.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Evil D wrote:
Steel_Drake wrote:Of the models currently in production by Spyderco the Spydiechef is the thinnest behind the edge, and by some margin. Quoting a post I made in another thread near to when I bought one:

In the other thread there were reports that the Chaparral is around .013 at the shoulder of the bevel. The Mantra 1 is also quite thin.
My Chaparral just showed up and is .018-.019”, which is a little disappointing after seeing that others have been reported at .013”. My newer Caly 3 HAP 40 is .018”-.019” as well. I need to check the angles though, as I have recieved some Spydercos at ~10 degrees per side, which will make the behind the edge measurement thicker than the more standard 15 degrees per side.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bloke wrote:For what it's worth I'm a Toolmaker/Machinist by trade and I believe measuring the thickness behind the edge with either micrometer or vernier is fairly hit and miss with all the inherent variables that go with trying to measure some point along a taper.

I'd be inclined to lay the blade flat on a flat surface like a machine bed, marking off table, ground flat stock .. Set up a dial indicator and go from there. Just my 2c worth.
If I still had access to the metrology lab from my former employer, this is the method i would use for repeatable consistent results. With my hand tools at home, I would reach for the mic before the caliper, but proper lighting and magnification could help make the later more consistent.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*