Sliverax Mod round 2 / CQI suggestion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

Re: Sliverax Mod round 2 / CQI suggestion

Post by toocool006 »

Just got a sliverax and I love it - immediately knocked everything else out of my pocket. Love the size, the lines (open and closed), the blade shape, slightly negative angle... basically everything about it.

I don't have a problem with the flipper tab getting in the way on closing (small fingers/hands), but I do tend to get my finger pinched when flipping with the "push-button" style of deployment. I'm thinking of rounding off the rectangular spot at the top of the liner that forms the comp-lock:

Anyone think that this would create any issues for lock-up security? I can't really imagine how it would but thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom of the forum, and especially those whose mechanical brilliance vast surpasses my own, before taking the plunge.

--Andrew
~andrew
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

toocool006 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 pm
Just got a sliverax and I love it - immediately knocked everything else out of my pocket. Love the size, the lines (open and closed), the blade shape, slightly negative angle... basically everything about it.

I don't have a problem with the flipper tab getting in the way on closing (small fingers/hands), but I do tend to get my finger pinched when flipping with the "push-button" style of deployment. I'm thinking of rounding off the rectangular spot at the top of the liner that forms the comp-lock:

Anyone think that this would create any issues for lock-up security? I can't really imagine how it would but thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom of the forum, and especially those whose mechanical brilliance vast surpasses my own, before taking the plunge.

--Andrew

I thought I did that on one of mine? If not I've done it on my Yojimbo 2 and it hasn't caused any problems.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm
Up next I'm thinking about some hard (enough) use tests? There's some debate about whether the milled pivot has made it weak or not. I certainly don't want to break one, but I also would like to know what it's capable of and maybe put some of those fears to rest. Suggestions? I don't plan on batonning with it or spine whacking the heck out of it so lets keep it reasonable.
Chop through some branches with it. Thin ones, 1" diameter or less. I do this with my Pacific Salts, Manix XL, Police 3 etc. and they handle it fine.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Chop through some branches with it. Thin ones, 1" diameter or less. I do this with my Pacific Salts, Manix XL, Police 3 etc. and they handle it fine.

I can do that. It doesn't have much mass so it'll take a lot of chopping but I would expect that to stress the stop pin more than anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David