Quality control issue.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TriggerThumb

Quality control issue.

Post by TriggerThumb »

Hope this is ok to post here. I just bought my first spyderco, a manix lw s110v. I love this knife steel. I noticed when it arrived that it had significant qc issues, as you can hopefully see in the picture. I tried to ignore it, but the uneven scales create hotspots. And I believe it is in some way creating problems with the ball bearing lock, although I can't be sure because I've read it's a bear to disengage the lock for many people, and it is still (mostly) functional as is. Do I have any options to remedy my situation through spyderco? I hope this isn't normal, as most seem quite happy with the fit and finish, and I have a few more in the mail I'm a little concerned about now. I've had cheap knives my whole life and never had this issue, so I'm a little let down, although I mostly attribute this to buying from amazon, and I certainly learned my lesson, and will only use reputable dealers from now on. All that said, I will never stop buying spydies, theyre still the only gig in town!
Attachments
2018-01-20 13.37.34.jpg
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
holeshot

Re: Quality control issue.

Post by holeshot »

Yeah that doesn't look right. Are you an Amazon Prime member? If so send it back and get a refund then buy one from from a reputable dealer. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If that is a gap between the backspacer and scales then that isn't right. Either Amazon or Spyderco will make it right. Amazon returns are usually hassle free so I would just send it back.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I guess I didn't want to part with my first love :D I'll look into returning to amazon. I've literally never shipped anything so it will be an experience haha. I will just have to be sans spyderco for a bit :(

P.s. in my defense, I only ordered from amazon for the 2 day shipping because I had just gotten paid and couldn't wait hehe :p

Edit- forgot to say thank you for your responses folks.

-Henry David Thoreau
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

TriggerThumb wrote:I guess I didn't want to part with my first love :D I'll look into returning to amazon. I've literally never shipped anything so it will be an experience haha. I will just have to be sans spyderco for a bit :(

P.s. in my defense, I only ordered from amazon for the 2 day shipping because I had just gotten paid and couldn't wait hehe :p

Edit- forgot to say thank you for your responses folks.
Log into your Amazon account, pull up the order, and indicate you wish to return. You will be able to print a return shipping label with postage on Amazon. I've bought several knives from Amazon and never felt the need to return any, but have had to return other products. They quickly refund your money as soon as they get word that the shipping label you were given is in the common carrier's system.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Thanks!! I'm gonna give it a go monday. I thoroughly appreciate the support friend. Already ordered a replacement, hopefully cutlery shoppe is a little more dependable. Their price was $10 lower than bhq and kc so we'll see :rolleyes:

-Henry David Thoreau
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, TriggerThumb. Nice to have you here!

Cutlery Shoppe is a reputable dealer. They will take good care of you. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

SpyderNut wrote:Welcome aboard, TriggerThumb. Nice to have you here!

Cutlery Shoppe is a reputable dealer. They will take good care of you. :)
It's good to be here!

Now to hopefully acquire a deep carry wire clip from spyderco to go with my (hopefully better qc'd) manix!! :spyder:

-Henry David Thoreau
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Here’s a pic of mine (sorry for the poor quality but it’s getting dark).

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine was one of the first batches produced. It didn't have any gaps but the 3 layers were not all flush along the spine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

You made a good choice with ordering from Cutlery Shoppe.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

My Maxamet has a small gap that paper will slide into. Yours looks worse. I decided to keep mine.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have three of them. They are all factory seconds but they all look like Johnnie's. I do not think that any of them are flush across the spine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Here’s a pic of mine (sorry for the poor quality but it’s getting dark).

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to have some context for what to expect with my second one. Frankly I'm a little surprised all of the $10-$20 knives I've ever owned never had a fit and finish problem, but these $100-$200 knives almost consistently do it seems. I get that the blade material and manufacturing create more expense but for 10x the price I wonder if it's justified. Plus one of my knives with perfect fit and finish is a d2 blade and contoured g10 handles... for $15. That being said it's anybodys guess what the heat treat is like (although it does seem like quality d2). I don't want to come across unfavorably, as I still love spyderco and, unless I'm getting something like a CRK, I will probably ONLY buy spydies. But I think they could do better for the price sometimes. :o

-Henry David Thoreau
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Here's a pic for context. Hopefully the quality isn't too low to see. Everything is absolutely flush on this one.
Attachments
2018-01-21 12.27.51.jpg

-Henry David Thoreau