My first Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmh58

Re: My first Spyderco!

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome!!! :cool: John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Bloke wrote:Welcome to the forum TriggerThumb! :)

I think you'll like S110V and if it came sharp out of the box depending on what you use it for you may never need to sharpen it. :cool:

Unless of course you're like most here and you have to get it even sharper. :rolleyes:
That is kinda my thought :D Im hoping to get into sharpening now that I have knives that deserve more care. Id never admit how badly I treat cheap knives ;)
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Evil D wrote:Welcome to the empty wallet club!
Ha! That's the best laugh I've had all week!!

And welcome to the forum Mr. Trigger Thumb
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TriggerThumb wrote:That is kinda my thought :D Im hoping to get into sharpening now that I have knives that deserve more care. Id never admit how badly I treat cheap knives ;)
You'll find sharpening's a natural progression and it's fun and a little frustrating too as you learn but very satisfying when it all comes together. :)

The forum's full of edge junkies that are willing to help so ask any questions you may have and you'll be whittling hair and splitting atoms before you know it. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Bloke wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:That is kinda my thought :D Im hoping to get into sharpening now that I have knives that deserve more care. Id never admit how badly I treat cheap knives ;)
You'll find sharpening's a natural progression and it's fun and a little frustrating too as you learn but very satisfying when it all comes together. :)

The forum's full of edge junkies that are willing to help so ask any questions you may have and you'll be whittling hair and splitting atoms before you know it. ;)
I appreciate the hospitality Bloke. I will definitely reach out. For now Im learning a lot from watching Big Brown Bear and Michael Christy on youtube. Next step is deciding what sharpening system to get. Im good with my hands so Im set on hand sharpening, if just for pride :rolleyes:

-Henry David Thoreau
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TriggerThumb wrote:I appreciate the hospitality Bloke. I will definitely reach out. For now Im learning a lot from watching Big Brown Bear and Michael Christy on youtube. Next step is deciding what sharpening system to get. Im good with my hands so Im set on hand sharpening, if just for pride :rolleyes:
You're most welcome! :)

I use a guided system because I freehand a lot like lightning strikes the ground. :eek:

I hate Michael Christy and blame him for my inferiority complex! :p

Edit: I hope you realise I jest. When I grow up I want to be Michael Christy.
Last edited by Bloke on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Welcome and great choice!
anycal

Post by anycal »

TriggerThumb wrote:I appreciate the hospitality Bloke. I will definitely reach out. For now Im learning a lot from watching Big Brown Bear and Michael Christy on youtube. Next step is deciding what sharpening system to get. Im good with my hands so Im set on hand sharpening, if just for pride :rolleyes:
Both very interesting guys, with different styles.

Michael is a sharpening artist. He is the one who got me using the tri-stones free hand and completely changed my outlook on sharpening. Haven't used the Sharpmaker since, but use the stones all the time.
Peter
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Does he have a video about using the tri stones? A preliminary search doesnt yield anything for me. And yes, i seem to gravitate towards his in hand technique for some reason. It seems more meditative.

-Henry David Thoreau
anycal

Post by anycal »

TriggerThumb wrote:Does he have a video about using the tri stones?A preliminary search doesnt yield anything for me. And yes, i seem to gravitate towards his in hand technique for some reason. It seems more meditative.
https://youtu.be/_o05lIL32zE
Peter
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Thank you :)

-Henry David Thoreau
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Welcome Trigger Thumb: I am new here too . I just got into Spyderco this week. My brother bought a Para 3 in S30V (love to get one also don'rt know which steel). I got a Manix 2 LW with Maxamet and some Delica 4 for my kids and one for me (that one in ZDP189) and a couple of Dragonfly's one a ZDP 189 in FRN the other with G10 scales and VG10 steel. I plan to swap the Dragonfly 2 blades so I can have the ZDP in the G10 and The VG10 will go into the dark green FRN scales whhich I will gift that to a good friend.
I am curious if anybody knows more about the V-Toku2 steel and how it compares to the ZDP 189? If the V-Toku2 is as hard as ZDP189 but is tougher then it would be a top choice edc blade.
Calgary on the Bow
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

mjdragonfly wrote:Welcome Trigger Thumb: I am new here too . I just got into Spyderco this week. My brother bought a Para 3 in S30V (love to get one also don'rt know which steel). I got a Manix 2 LW with Maxamet and some Delica 4 for my kids and one for me (that one in ZDP189) and a couple of Dragonfly's one a ZDP 189 in FRN the other with G10 scales and VG10 steel. I plan to swap the Dragonfly 2 blades so I can have the ZDP in the G10 and The VG10 will go into the dark green FRN scales whhich I will gift that to a good friend.
I am curious if anybody knows more about the V-Toku2 steel and how it compares to the ZDP 189? If the V-Toku2 is as hard as ZDP189 but is tougher then it would be a top choice edc blade.
Wow great choices! Yes I pre ordered a delica, ladybug and dragonfly in the v-toku as well. I also recommend keeping an eye on the upcoming calypso Jr sprint in super blue. I often hear vtoku compared to it. Vtoku is commonly used as a Japanese kitchen knife. Can't go wrong. I suggest checking out this blade forums thread on the Vtoku as well, they have a handy chart showing the metal composition in molar and mass % https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/vto ... n.1537971/

-Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TriggerThumb wrote:
mjdragonfly wrote:Welcome Trigger Thumb: I am new here too . I just got into Spyderco this week. My brother bought a Para 3 in S30V (love to get one also don'rt know which steel). I got a Manix 2 LW with Maxamet and some Delica 4 for my kids and one for me (that one in ZDP189) and a couple of Dragonfly's one a ZDP 189 in FRN the other with G10 scales and VG10 steel. I plan to swap the Dragonfly 2 blades so I can have the ZDP in the G10 and The VG10 will go into the dark green FRN scales whhich I will gift that to a good friend.
Wow great choices! Yes I pre ordered a delica, ladybug and dragonfly in the v-toku as well. I also recommend keeping an eye on the upcoming calypso Jr sprint in super blue. I often hear vtoku compared to it. Vtoku is commonly used as a Japanese kitchen knife. Can't go wrong. I suggest checking out this blade forums thread on the Vtoku as well, they have a handy chart showing the metal composition in molar and mass % https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/vto ... n.1537971/
Or you can check out the same basic thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76780&hilit=V+toku
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Sharp Guy wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:
Or you can check out the same basic thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76780&hilit=V+toku
Sorry I just happened to be on the other at the time. I'm not a savvy man

-Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ No need to be sorry! It's all good!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

:)

-Henry David Thoreau
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

sort of sounds like V-Toku2 is going to fall right around ZDP 189 perhaps a little less hard but tougher? Would be nice to see a steel with a SS coating that hits 66 - 67 RHC but which is a lot tougher than ZDP 189 that would make a serious and sharp workhorse of a blade. We seem to be pushing the current envelope for hard tough steels with Maxamet and ZDP 189 close to the top and both still tough. Profile seems to be important to keep these chip free especially with Maxamet. More hardness is not what's needed now, what we need now is a 67 - 69 RHC steel that is very very tough. I suppose that is the goal of the high performance knife maker. Probably too hard for most home cutlery applications where the end user is going to have a hard time achieving the best edge possible sharpening on their own. Who to make happy I guess the answer the biggest market. I have no idea if home cutlery is a larger market than knives like Spyderco sells I would guess it is but that's just a guess. But I can say I would love to buy a Para 3 that had a blade as hard as a Maxamet but also a whole lot tougher. Is there a steel on the horizon like that?
Calgary on the Bow