What's the intended retention strength of Aqua Salt sheaths?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kvdo

What's the intended retention strength of Aqua Salt sheaths?

Post by kvdo »

My Aqua Salt arrived today, and after inserting it into the sheath (which took an uncomfortably high amount of force) and having it click into place, I found that I don't have enough strength to actually pull it back out. I'm not a particularly large or strong person, and gripping the sheath and handle and pulling with all my strength until my arms are shaking isn't enough to eject the blade. I am, however, able to get the sheath off by taking another fixed blade and smacking the sheath off with the backside.

I'm pretty sure the Aqua Salt is going in the correct way, and there don't appear to be any visible defects. I only managed to draw the knife without the use of tools once, and the force caused the edge to drag along the inside of the sheath and dull upon removal. Normally I would keep the spine of a fixed blade pressed up against the inside of the sheath to prevent the edge from contacting anything, but any sort of careful technique is impossible in this case.

Is it normal for the Aqua Salt sheath to require Arthurian amounts of force to get the blade out? I can see this as an intentional feature for divers or military personnel to ensure the blade won't get lost, but at the moment it's impractical for me.
FullCircleHook

Re: What's the intended retention strength of Aqua Salt sheaths?

Post by FullCircleHook »

I just got one for Christmas and the sheath retention was strong, but nowhere near the levels you are describing. I found a quick jerking motion worked best at first. Since having it, the sheath appears to have loosened up some and it is much easier to draw. I do insert by rubbing the spine. (Haha, sounds funny.)

I got the SE and edge retention has been great. I’ve beating the **** out of it. I’m clearing a trail through Florida woods and when not using a machete, for quick cuts, I’ve been cutting palmettos, vines, and brush. Haven’t need to sharpen yet.

I’ve really enjoyed it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sounds like my kind of knife. I'm all about strong retention on sheaths, clips, detents etc. If you don't end up sending it to Spyderco maybe we can work something out, I just lost my Aqua Salt.
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

mine was very stiff and strong from the factory. :(
A two handed operation to pull it out, that's for sure. After 2 years it's become much easier and forgiving on my fingers, and now one hand is more than enough to take the blade in/out without issues.

Mine is SE and after realising the dulling of the teeth due to the sheath I always press the spine against the sheath, it's worked so far

Hopefully you'll also be able to enjoy such a wonderful blade :spyder:
setldown

Post by setldown »

Instead of using brute force and pulling it out, I use my thumb and push on the spine side rivit and it pops out. See 1:00 on video. Hope this helps.
https://youtu.be/87uXKDHHUKY
vivi

Post by vivi »

setldown wrote:Instead of using brute force and pulling it out, I use my thumb and push on the spine side rivit and it pops out. See 1:00 on video. Hope this helps.
That's what I always did too. I usually had mine horizontal on the front of my belt while hiking or clipped to my backpack strap inverted. Trying to yank it out didn't work as well as the thumb pop.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Vivi wrote:
setldown wrote:Instead of using brute force and pulling it out, I use my thumb and push on the spine side rivit and it pops out. See 1:00 on video. Hope this helps.
That's what I always did too. I usually had mine horizontal on the front of my belt while hiking or clipped to my backpack strap inverted. Trying to yank it out didn't work as well as the thumb pop.
Bit of a late reply, but my sheath is no where close to that loose. It's nigh impossible for me to open with just my hands.

I tied a large loop of paracord through the bottom hole in the sheath and if I use my foot to hold the paracord, I can yank the blade out with my hands.

For whatever reason, it's a lot easier to draw the blade when you push the edge towards the sheath, which obviously causes instant dulling upon drawing. Pushing in the direction of the backside makes it significantly harder to draw. I try to draw and reinsert the blade a few times every day, and it's very slowly beginning to loosen, but it feels like it's going to be months before it's actually going to be usable.

I'm gonna send it to Spyderco and see if this is abnormal. I guess worst-case scenario, they give me a new sheath that's the same tightness, in which case I'll just send over your way.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

maybe try and heat it to deform it applying pressure, if you have any experience with plastic sheaths before...
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

The extra strong retention ability of the sheath is one of my favorite qualities of the Aqua.
vivi

Post by vivi »

kvdo wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Bit of a late reply, but my sheath is no where close to that loose. It's nigh impossible for me to open with just my hands.

I tied a large loop of paracord through the bottom hole in the sheath and if I use my foot to hold the paracord, I can yank the blade out with my hands.

For whatever reason, it's a lot easier to draw the blade when you push the edge towards the sheath, which obviously causes instant dulling upon drawing. Pushing in the direction of the backside makes it significantly harder to draw. I try to draw and reinsert the blade a few times every day, and it's very slowly beginning to loosen, but it feels like it's going to be months before it's actually going to be usable.

I'm gonna send it to Spyderco and see if this is abnormal. I guess worst-case scenario, they give me a new sheath that's the same tightness, in which case I'll just send over your way.
Alright. Good luck!