H1 steel, Tasman salt, bended very weird at the tip, in plastic.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jacktrades_nbk

H1 steel, Tasman salt, bended very weird at the tip, in plastic.

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

Weirdest thing, i didn't do it, but my wife cut a bottle of soft plastic, 1mm thick, maybe a bit more thicker, and this is what came out from my Tasman Salt blade.
The tip, about 1.5mm, or a bit more than 1mm, completely bent over, it's like a hook on the other side too/flat side, if you know what i mean :D
I know that H1 is soft, and was thinner than a Delica FS, but hey, i didn't think it will become like that, in plastic.
The Delica has cut hundreds of bottles like that, no problems, ever. That kind of damage, like the Tasman, i would only expect from hitting cement or ceramic, and pretty hard...
I will try and fix it over the next days, somehow...
Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed in the softness of H1.

Last edited by jacktrades_nbk on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Re: H1 steel, Tasman salt, bended very weird at the tip, in plastic.

Post by Evil D »

It looks the the very tip is rolled a bit, but just so we're all on the same page the majority of the tip looks bent to the right because of how the bevel/grind is only ground on the left side, so it gives the illusion of being bent to the right. My Autonomy and Dragonfly hawkbill both look the same.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

The tip is rolled towards the side that doesn't have an apex, yeah.
Towards the side that doesn't have the serrations ground, practically.
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

free image hosting sites

Rolled towards the side under.
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

I was thinking, maybe try and bend it back with some small pliers, or try to sharpen it out. Some ideas?
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Yes, H1 does tend to roll. But VG-10 would chip! Pick your poison.
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

Carbon steel he? :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would lay it flat on a very hard surface and tap it very lightly with a rubber mallet, ala hammer and anvil style. Otherwise run the back side very gently over a bench stone and hone off the rolled part. If you bend it back that teeny bit of tip is going to be weak and will likely bend again. You may end up having to reprofile the tip a wee bit eventually, but it will also end up being stronger as a result. I've had to do the same with my Dragonfly (standard SE blade version) after years of use had rounded the tip off. The easiest way to do that would be to grind/sand the spine down until the edge is sharp again.
~David
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

Thanks for the advice, the re-profiling of the spine seems like an easier and better solution.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's fairly easy to reprofile a spine, you can do it with sandpaper if you have nothing else but a Dremel and a sanding barrel makes short work of it. Go the extra mile and sand down the entire spine of the blade so it looks factory finished.

The top Dragonfly has had the spine dropped down about as much as yours is rolled.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I agree, sand it off or use a bench stone to grind it off. You'll lose some metal but the resulting tip will be stronger than if you bend it back into place.
:unicorn
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Tips are fragile unless the knife was specifically designed with tip strength in mind. Any kind of prying -- regardless of the material -- will break or bend the tip.
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

I will try to re profile without going trough the whole spine, make the tip look like the bit dropped point of delica4, at least from behind. If it doesn't look good, I'll put some sandpaper to work.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just grind the back down. I had to do that to mine too, and it's stronger now. To be fair, it is a really pointy, delicate tip. I let my wife use it gardening, and she cut down on concrete. Way bent. Now, it's been rounded off/safety-tipped by me (second repair), and I gave it to her for yard work.

- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Jazz and others: Do you think that the tip on the Pacific Salt is already factory-made wide and thick enough in comparison to the Tasman Salt, that this would never happen to the Pacific Salt tip, unless someone put an incredibly concentrated amount of stress on it?
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

Tasman salt was just a bit thicker as compared to the full flat delica, which is very very thin, but it was very thin compared to the delica full serrated/sabre. Don't have a Pacific salt.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Jazz and others: Do you think that the tip on the Pacific Salt is already factory-made wide and thick enough in comparison to the Tasman Salt, that this would never happen to the Pacific Salt tip, unless someone put an incredibly concentrated amount of stress on it?
I think the Pacific is way stronger.

It looks like that Tasman's tip hit whatever the bottle was resting on. Were you watching while your wife cut with it, jacktrades?
- best wishes, Jazz.
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

The Pacific should be as strong as Delica 4 sabre, I think. No, I haven't watched her, but I know she stresses the knives in ways I wouldn't.
Anyway, I'm sure the bottle wasn't rested on anything, i think she pushed a bit and tried to bend the knife, but as the tip was way too thin, that is what happened. The bottle was one of those Nivea Baby white ones, milk cream, 200ml, soft plastic, although a bit thicker than the regular coke bottle. As I said before, the Delica sabre would have done that with no problems, but the full flat Delica...I really don't know...being more thinner, could have had the tip broke or bent.
jacktrades_nbk

Post by jacktrades_nbk »

It was weird because i Know she cut those bottles with scissors from a LM Micra, and even with the blade from it. No damage done.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I've had that happen to most if not all of my Salts, Tasman and Spyderhawk included. :o
I was expecting to see a completely bent full PE portion of the blade or something nasty.
:D

This will do no harm to your Tasman, on mine I just sharpened them out with a Smith's' Arkansas Stone or very fine sandpaper when this happened and got a thicker, stronger but still pointy and sharp tip.
No problems with that tiny winy damage! ;)