No more Spyderco in Canada?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

No more Spyderco in Canada?

Post by Hopweaver »

Knifenews just published a story today (LINK BELOW) on Canadian border services seizing folding pocket knives that open with one hand. I wonder what it means for Spyderco Knives in Canada. I also wonder how Canadian knife manufacturers (ie. Grimsmo) will respond. Seems like a pretty ridiculous situation.

http://knifenews.com/canada-border-serv ... et-knives/
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Liquid Cobra

Re: No more Spyderco in Canada?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m pretty devastated by this decision. I really hope something can be done.

Here is a link to one of two threads already started about this:

viewtopic.php?t=77183
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

WTF, that totally sucks and then some! Has the government lost it's mind! :mad:
"No matter where you go, there you are"
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Elections have consequences......
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Why does everyone keep saying that? Not everyone votes for the idiots in charge.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

Jazz wrote:Why does everyone keep saying that? Not everyone votes for the idiots in charge.
X2
@martial_logan on the instagram.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it becomes. When will they be outlawing pens with caps that can shoot off after applying "reasonable" pressure to them? I mean thats both a projectile and a rapid deployment for a pointy object.... the horror.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'm no Canadian, but I'm going to share my opinion on this. The fact is there are stupid laws everywhere in the world, abuse of power and excessive bureaucracy. Maybe this particular case resulted from all of them. According to what I read there was no change in the carry laws but the entity that enforces the customs changed their reading on the laws. Usually only a critical mass of protests can result in some change, unfortunately for that's difficult to achieve on a niche hobbie like ours.
Personally I don't believe this laws are made with second intentions like population control etc. they are the result of the lack of knowledge, experience and information most legislators have.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Politicians respond to public pressure. We might be a small group but we need to be heard.
People need to call, email, show up at local office. Let them know that you care and that this will have an impact. I’m not even Canadian but was thinking I should call to say I won’t be visiting to spend my vacation dollars there.
Let them know you are a normal law abiding citizen that carried a knife as a tool. I think the self defense argument is weak at best.
Calling them cucks or libtards just makes you sound like a idiot and should be discredited right away. Be reasonable and normal but firm that this is having a negative effect on you. Talk about camping, work activities, and slicing apples for lunch.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Laws like this are proposed by politicians as a stop-gap feel good measure. So when someone is killed with a knife they can point and say "We outlawed knives, we're concerned for our citizens, vote for us". Nevermind that laws like this have no real impact on reducing violent crime. They're just far easier to implement than addressing the real issues that caused the violent offender to commit the crime.

For my fellow Fans of Spyderco that reside in Canada - make your voice heard, contact your local politicians, or get involved yourself. Till then you can still get a Spyderco Roadie or Pingo.
jdw

Post by jdw »

SF Native wrote:Politicians respond to public pressure. We might be a small group but we need to be heard.
People need to call, email, show up at local office. Let them know that you care and that this will have an impact. I’m not even Canadian but was thinking I should call to say I won’t be visiting to spend my vacation dollars there.
Let them know you are a normal law abiding citizen that carried a knife as a tool. I think the self defense argument is weak at best.
Calling them cucks or libtards just makes you sound like a idiot and should be discredited right away. Be reasonable and normal but firm that this is having a negative effect on you. Talk about camping, work activities, and slicing apples for lunch.
+1
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sciencetists

Post by Sciencetists »

I just made an account to say that a Spyderco Myrtle purchased from knifecenter is being held by the CBSA. I received a letter today informing me that it was being reviewed to determine admissibility and they will get back to me in 4-6 weeks.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Sciencetists wrote:I just made an account to say that a Spyderco Myrtle purchased from knifecenter is being held by the CBSA. I received a letter today informing me that it was being reviewed to determine admissibility and they will get back to me in 4-6 weeks.
That bites. Please let us know how this turns out.

Welcome to the forum BTW! I wish it was under better circumstances. :(
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Wow - so if you are a hunter in Canada you can't have a folding knife to dress a deer?
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

We can buy knives already in canada, we just cant get the good sprints.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sciencetists,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your issue.

sal
themeatchopper

Post by themeatchopper »

Just FYI, this has nothing to do with our Federal Gov't, this is a group of Customs Agents that have gotten over zealous at enforcing existing laws.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

dreadpirate wrote:Wow - so if you are a hunter in Canada you can't have a folding knife to dress a deer?
This is just an importation issue. Has nothing to do with owning, using or even buying in Canada. Completely idiotic, but these knives are still legal to use/own.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

They did the same thing in AUS at one stage.

Since reversed but a pain for a while.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So how's the Canadian Ethnic design coming?