Salt internals question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jedi5150

Salt internals question

Post by Jedi5150 »

Hello all, new guy here. Tomorrow I'll finally join the Spyderco club and learn the secret handshake, when my Southard arrives.

I've been looking at some of their other models and came across some reviews of the Salt series, which are next on my list. Here's my question; I like most of the changes they made between the Salt 1 and the Salt 2, but my main reason for getting one would be the rust resistance. I notice that the Salt 2 has a lot more small bits of metal than the Salt 1, such as the multiple pcoket clip attachment points, pins, etc. I believe I read that the cross pins are stainless steel. With all the extra small metal bits added, won't the Salt 2 be more prone to rust than the Salt 1? \

Thanks in advance. If the Salt 2 is not more prone to rusting, I think that might be my second Spyderco.
Surfingringo

Re: Salt internals question

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Jedi, welcome to the forum. Good question. I don't think anyone is going to have a definitive answer for you yet though. You are correct that the pins/screws on the Salts are stainless steel and it is possible for them to rust but I can tell you from years of torture testing that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get them to show any corrosion. As an example, I fish in the ocean everyday from a kayak and I have Salt folders that ride in my waistband saturated in saltwater all day long. I bring them in after fishing and they usually don't even get a freshwater rinse. I have Salts that have endured that treatment for years and the hardware has never shown a spot of rust. The hardware is not H1 and I'm sure it can rust under enough exposure but if what I do every day doesn't make it rust then I think its highly unlikely that it will ever pose a problem for the average user.
Jedi5150

Post by Jedi5150 »

Thank you Surfingringo, I appreciate the feedback. That speaks highly of them given your use and experience.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a bit of corrosion form around the pivot washer on a Dragonfly Salt after being in the ocean. It's anyone's guess if that was the washer itself rusting or some kind of metal particle transfer that rusted. It did clean of very easily though. The pivot pin/blade/other hardware stayed rust free. H1 really is an amazing use it and abuse it beater steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum Jedi! :)

I can't really add anymore than The Gringo and D said and I don't have a Salt2 yet. The Tasman I use to clean fish gets washed in the surf, dropped in the sand and it took me a while to find one day when wave action buried it. :eek:

Sometimes I actually remember to rinse it in freshwater. :rolleyes:

I've had the knife for about a year and nary a blemish and everyone knows Australian saltwater is the most corrosive saltwater on earth and maybe even in The Cosmos. :p
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

You won’t be disappointed! Spyderco knows what they’re doing. I love the salt line, I own multiple diff versions and love them all, never had any issues. I’m in the sweaty state of Kansas so they have been around lots of moisture and always go with me on vacation to the beach as well. I know some parts of the salts are made of titanium such as the clip and pins. For sure on the salt 1 as I stripped the paint off he clip and it was a nice dark titanium. I don’t think you’ll have any issues with rust!

The salt 2 is a great new knife. I love the change

Jedi5150

Post by Jedi5150 »

Thanks Gents! I appreciate it.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum Jedi. Great to chat with you. I love the Salt knives. I am especially looking forward to the Spyderco Caribbean.

Surf: Do you think all of the metal in the Caribbean will be lc200n or just the blade?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

my guess is that the other metals in the Caribbean will be similarly corrosion-resistant but simply not as hardenable. There are many "mild steels" that don''t corrode easily and are inexpensive; suitable for screws or perhaps clips or handles but not up to a good user standard for abrasion resistance as one needs for edge retention. Making the knife all LC200 could greatly increase the MSRP.
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Out of curiosity, is the Salt series internal hardware the same material as it was previously now that it is coated?

Any difference in materials between H1 versions and LC200N in the Salt 2 as an example?

In advance, thank you for your replies
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:53 pm
i still think they should be offered like this too. very nice.

welcome to the forum, jedi. you can't go wrong with the salt line. they are wonderful.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
araneae

Post by araneae »

Zombie thread.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:30 am
Zombie thread.
Nope. Not meant to be anyway.

After searching here and Bladeforums couldn’t find the answer to my question (probably missed it); so instead of starting a new thread went with this one.

So is the hardware on the Salts the same as it was previously to them being coated? Hardware the same regardless of H1 or LC200N in Seki models? I would assume yes, but you know what happens when you assume. Thanks in advance