Mantra protect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xxbioxx

Mantra protect

Post by xxbioxx »

How can i protect the mantra blade? i don’t know the com m4 steel. Thank you
Kris
Evil D

Re: Mantra protect

Post by Evil D »

I keep a light coating of Vaseline on mine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I always make sure I have a bit of oil in the pivot area, especially w/tool steel blades. I use Slip 2000 though any oil would probably work. When carrying frequently I just make sure the blade is put away clean and dry. If I'm not going to be using it regularly I wipe the blade with Slip 2000 or a thin film of Vaseline (as David recommends). I try and keep my stain/rust prone blades away from saltwater. The Mantra is a great knife, wish it had LC or other stainless steel. Mine would get more carry time if it had a stainless blade.
xxbioxx

Post by xxbioxx »

I love this knife but I can not use it because I do not want the patina to appear on it. Can i eat with if after clean? I know that fruit should not be cut.
I use ballistol oil.
Kris
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

xxbioxx wrote:I love this knife but I can not use it because I do not want the patina to appear on it. Can i eat with if after clean? I know that fruit should not be cut.
I use ballistol oil.
I haven't had any problems with patina on mine. I don't use mine for food very often but I have a few times. Only once did a light patina start to appear. I hit the blade with a little Flitz on a cleaning patch and it was easily removed.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Patina can also be polished off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'd use food-grade mineral oil (often marketed as cutting board oil) if you're going to eat with it. That's what I use, if anything. Even if you wash it off after, some foods will form a patina rather quickly like some fruits or red meat, but like D said, you can always polish it off if it gets too unsightly. I eat with mine often but I actually enjoy the patina that is forming. I just wash it off after use which is super easy with that open construction, one reason that I really love this knife. Be sure to let it dry thoroughly before putting it back in your pocket! You don't want those pivot bearings to rust!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

After the knife is clean and dry you can paste wax it. That pretty much does it with re coatings when needed. It works especially well for storing knives especially if stored in a leather sheath. That is normally something to avoid because of corrosive stuff used in tanning the leather. There is also a clear liquid silicone made for knife blades sold in A.G. Russells catalog.

They all work pretty well as long as you remember to re clean it after use especially if something corrosive is left on the blade. I have seen simple fingerprints get permanently etched into a knife in a couple hours because of the salt in the fingerprint along with body oils. In the summer heat here in North Carolina that fingerprint will stay on forever if not cleaned off pretty quickly.

Some finishes resist corrosion more, some less. Some people sweat different amounts of salt and we all live in different places. What is best for me may not be needed for you. Some experience will show you what you need but more or less it is getting the salt and acids off and coating the edge with something to protect it. Welcome to Spyderco forums.

Joe
xxbioxx

Post by xxbioxx »

Thank you for your help. You've helped a lot.
Kris