Companion hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Companion hawkbill

Post by Strider »

Which hawkbill model do people tend to prefer? I am thinking about getting one this spring for some outdoor work around the yard.
cabfrank

Re: Companion hawkbill

Post by cabfrank »

Just pick your size and enjoy. I have the Ladybug. It makes a great knife in the pocket, that you never know is there. I'm getting either a Dragonfly or Tasman, or both, in the future, I hope. For spring work in the yard, I'd say Tasman first.
OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

I’d say the Tasman 2 or if you want a larger blade get the Sprint Run SpyderHawk

-Okan
:spyder: CO1 Worker 2014 Sprint(x2)-Southard-Myrtle-PM2 S110v-Sage 5-Sliverax-Lum Tanto FB Sprint-Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189-Delica 4 G-10-Manix 2 FW-Endura 4-Tasman-Roadie-Delica 2 Stainless-Tenacious Turtle-Bug :spyder:

Dreaming for a Pacific Salt 2 FFG LC200n and a
Manix 2 XL back lock
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd go with a Tasman if you're looking to buy one right now, or a Spyderhawk if you can wait.
:unicorn
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I have a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt and it is an awesome little thing. It is a companion to my Pacific Salt.

The Matriarch (not officially a Hawkbill) is next on my list though....
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ladybug Hawkbill. All the others end up too wide in pocket. The lack of jimping on the Dfly was no dice for me. The LBHB punches so far out of its weight class it's absurd. Another reason I like it is it can float in my pocket with my IPhone and it is like it is not there. And I like to preserve my PE's on stuff like heavy plastic. I would never be without a LBHB
Strider

Post by Strider »

That spyderhawk does look mean. Saw a lot of old threads asking for another run of it and the dragonfly. Cool both are here.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the DFly myself, but for yard work the spyderhawk seems the logical choice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Strider

Post by Strider »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I like the DFly myself, but for yard work the spyderhawk seems the logical choice.
Will likely end up with both...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Strider wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I like the DFly myself, but for yard work the spyderhawk seems the logical choice.
Will likely end up with both...
You can't go wrong with both :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

twinboysdad wrote:Ladybug Hawkbill. All the others end up too wide in pocket. The lack of jimping on the Dfly was no dice for me. The LBHB punches so far out of its weight class it's absurd. Another reason I like it is it can float in my pocket with my IPhone and it is like it is not there. And I like to preserve my PE's on stuff like heavy plastic. I would never be without a LBHB
Spot on Twins! :)

Mine also comes in very handy on my way home after I've been drinking because I can cut flowers out of neighbors front yards with ease to gift beloved wife. ;)

Unfortunately, sometimes it backfires and beloved wife makes me apologies to the neighbors she knows and it ends up costing me a nice bottle of wine. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Tasman all the way. I carry a PE para2 and Tasman. The para2 is so unused it's stupid. I was the biggest skeptic, but H1 se hawkbill is where it's at for general pull cuts.
Justin
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I would like to have a hawkill blade in size between Ladybug (to small) and Tasman Salt / Harpy (to big). Unfortunately there is nothing in the product range ... :(
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There is, the Dragonfly Hawkbill Salt.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

For gardening use I’d go with the tasmin but as stated above, the ladybug hb is one tough blade that really does cut out of its class.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Peter1960 wrote:I would like to have a hawkill blade in size between Ladybug (to small) and Tasman Salt / Harpy (to big). Unfortunately there is nothing in the product range ... :(
I've got good news for you! Sal heard this same request from many of us and released the Hawkbill Dragonfly :D It's awesome!

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I got the Dragonfly Hawk for yard work, but found it was too small for all the plants I was cutting. I'd get the Tasman, if I were you. I had one, but my wife claimed it. It works great. Serrated edge works best for plants - maybe not larger branches, but everything else. It keeps the fibers from slipping off the blade.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

cabfrank + ZrowsN1s: I'm glad you show me the direction and also shame on me, I totally overlooked the Dragonfly 2 Salt Lightweight Hawkbill ... :o
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Peter1960 wrote:cabfrank + ZrowsN1s: I'm glad you show me the direction and also shame on me, I totally overlooked the Dragonfly 2 Salt Lightweight Hawkbill ... :o
There's too many new models to keep track of :D
I'm sure a few have slipped by me.

Strider

Post by Strider »

Peter1960 wrote:cabfrank + ZrowsN1s: I'm glad you show me the direction and also shame on me, I totally overlooked the Dragonfly 2 Salt Lightweight Hawkbill ... :o
but isn't it exciting to learn that your wish has already become a reality?