Laminated carbon steels - Sal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Canazes9

Laminated carbon steels - Sal?

Post by Canazes9 »

Sal,

Just curious, why hasn't one of the laminated carbon steels been put into regular production, like ZDP189 (vs the standard VG10 models)? These models seem to be extremely popular and whenever a new limited production run is announced, they seem to go quickly.

Inability to consistently supply the laminated steel?

Lack of true demand?

Production difficulties?

???

Thanks,

David
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Laminated carbon steels - Sal?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What if they did ZDP edge and VG10 body?
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What if they did ZDP edge and VG10 body?
I believe the core and outer steels have to have similar heat treatment processes, though I could be remembering wrong.

I don't know if VG-10 and ZDP-189 have a similar heat treatment process.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

The Caly 3.5 has a 420j2 / ZDP 189 laminate, but I was more specifically asking about the Hap40, Super Blue laminates. I'm relatively new to Spyderco, that was before my time, not sure if there were others. I am looking forward to trying the new V-Toku laminate un an Endura4 when it becomes available.

David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Back to page 1 bump in hopes of getting a response from Sal!

David
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

kvdo wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What if they did ZDP edge and VG10 body?
I believe the core and outer steels have to have similar heat treatment processes, though I could be remembering wrong.

I don't know if VG-10 and ZDP-189 have a similar heat treatment process.
Rockstead does it so must be doable :)

But I'll be very happy with laminated or solid superblue!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Canazes,

I think it's a question of demand. Steel Junky's like to play with the carbon steels, but the general market is less inclined. I imagine if we determine that the demand is there, we would consider it.

sal
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

sal wrote:Hi Canazes,

I think it's a question of demand. Steel Junky's like to play with the carbon steels, but the general market is less inclined. I imagine if we determine that the demand is there, we would consider it.

sal
Thanks Sal!

David
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

I put a bid on a lighty used endura 4 super blue-$270 and still didn't win it. Kc has stopped taking preorders for the caly jr that might not come out for months and months.
I think there is a fair bit of demand for another super blue run.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

shaztec wrote:I put a bid on a lighty used endura 4 super blue-$270 and still didn't win it. Kc has stopped taking preorders for the caly jr that might not come out for months and months.
I think there is a fair bit of demand for another super blue run.
There is definitely demand from a group of steel junkies for Superblue, the question is if there is enough to make a production version. A sprint run is typically 1200 pieces? how many pieces get made in a production run? 10k? more? are there enough junkies to pay a premium for a more rust prone steel to justify a production run in superblue? not sure about that one. maybe?

i would rather see more dealer Exclusives and sprints in these steels. a sprint run of all of the seki models (delica, endura, df2, manbug, ladybug, and throw in a catcherman, jester, rookie, worker, impala, and some other obscure models) in superblue with g10 scales in a good color (navy? blurple?) would surely be popular. would like to see the same thing in g10 with hap40 after that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red