Sal, Mike Janich, would it be too forward?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: Sal, Mike Janich, would it be too forward?

Post by swigert »

id love to see pocket dumps from the spy die crew...
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 am
My typical daily pocket dump (all pockets) wold include;

LFP - cell phone, 10X folding loupe, keys (cut down to save weight and space), lip gloss (dry in Colorado and my skin is so dry that when I walk into a room, I change the humidity), eye drops (dry eyes). Often a 2nd knife.

RFP - wallet, knife,

LRP - left blank (not good to sit on much stuff all day), a place to put loose change I get back. Gail collects the change for the grand kids. Usually a smaller PC knife like a Man Bug or a Roadie.

RRP - a few "cop coins" to give out to cops and military as I see them. I thank them for their service as I give them a coin. Usually greatly appreciated.

Shirt - company electronic key, pen, vitamins.

Nothing exotic. I do haul around a briefcase that has lotsa other necessary daily stuff. I guess I just sorta an average guy.

sal

Thank you...for the RRP carry. Much appreciated.
"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

npad69 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 am
I know Mr. Janich makes onions cry whenever he slices them with his Yojimbo :D
Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 am
You guys crack me up... Thank you for the humor and your interest in what I carry. Although it's evolved a bit since this was published (and does not include a back pocket Wharncliffe Delica 4), it looks something like this:

https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/edc-of- ... ael_Janich

Stay safe,

Mike
btw Mike, you mentioned in the article that a SAK swisschamp is more versatile than a pliers-style MT. As a swisschamp and LM-MT owner I'm really interested in your opinion, care to explain or cite some examples why it is so?
I'd be curious too, because sometimes you just need pliers and those of the SAK knives are mostly "Super tweezers" for light duty work,

as a Spydie + LM + SAK carrier I was also :confused: . Truly the Swisschamp it's more "versatile" in that it has more implements but sometimes you have to go full sized pliers depending on your lifestyle and job

sal wrote: My typical daily pocket dump (all pockets) wold include;

LFP - cell phone, 10X folding loupe, keys (cut down to save weight and space), lip gloss (dry in Colorado and my skin is so dry that when I walk into a room, I change the humidity), eye drops (dry eyes). Often a 2nd knife.

RFP - wallet, knife,

LRP - left blank (not good to sit on much stuff all day), a place to put loose change I get back. Gail collects the change for the grand kids. Usually a smaller PC knife like a Man Bug or a Roadie.

RRP - a few "cop coins" to give out to cops and military as I see them. I thank them for their service as I give them a coin. Usually greatly appreciated.

Shirt - company electronic key, pen, vitamins.

Nothing exotic. I do haul around a briefcase that has lotsa other necessary daily stuff. I guess I just sorta an average guy.

sal
Hey Sal,
much appreciated, I had wondered it for long time! The coin giveaway is so cool and gentlemanly of you :cool:

as for the pen, may I ask: do you have any favorite, or a preferred brand? Like Spydies, it's a whole world to explore and learn about :p

Finally, I'm a bit surprised by the absence of a light, a SAK or a mini multi tool. Guess there's not much need for those anymore nowadays, at least not on your person :spyder:

Thanks much!!
sal

Post by sal »

2 torches in my briefcase. 2 multitools when I travel. Pen is a Lamy lite weight with a wire clip.

sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 pm
2 torches in my briefcase. 2 multitools when I travel. Pen is a Lamy lite weight with a wire clip.

sal
thanks much!
now you got me wondering about what light and multis are those :rolleyes:

I appreciate! you're having so much patience with us this week :cool:
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Sal getting in on the Chuck Norris, I mean Michael Janich jokes...

"...when I walk into a room, I change the humidity."
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

npad69 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 am
btw Mike, you mentioned in the article that a SAK swisschamp is more versatile than a pliers-style MT. As a swisschamp and LM-MT owner I'm really interested in your opinion, care to explain or cite some examples why it is so?
Back when I was working in Vietnam and Laos on the POW/MIA issue, I found myself doing a lot of weird DIY stuff in the field, as well as harvesting serial numbered parts off aircraft wreckage. We were issued an early Gerber multitool. Although the pliers and wire cutter were great, I found myself doing more stuff with my Swiss Army Knives--especially weird DIY stuff that we had to do when you lived in the field for a month. For example, we harvested bamboo and used it to make a lot of stuff around camp like tripods for solar showers, poles for clotheslines, tent pegs, etc. The basic harvesting was done initially with a G.I.-style machete and ultimately a Blackjack Panga, but I did all the detail work with the SAK saw. I also pulled splinters with the tweezers, trimmed my moustache with the scissors, tightened the screws on my glasses, and, since we cooked for ourselves, opened countless cans with the can opener.

Maybe it was just the nature of that environment and the choices I had available, but that's the way my experiences shaped my opinion.

Thanks for asking.

Stay safe,

Mike
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 am
Back when I was working in Vietnam and Laos on the POW/MIA issue, I found myself doing a lot of weird DIY stuff in the field, as well as harvesting serial numbered parts off aircraft wreckage. We were issued an early Gerber multitool. Although the pliers and wire cutter were great, I found myself doing more stuff with my Swiss Army Knives--especially weird DIY stuff that we had to do when you lived in the field for a month. For example, we harvested bamboo and used it to make a lot of stuff around camp like tripods for solar showers, poles for clotheslines, tent pegs, etc. The basic harvesting was done initially with a G.I.-style machete and ultimately a Blackjack Panga, but I did all the detail work with the SAK saw. I also pulled splinters with the tweezers, trimmed my moustache with the scissors, tightened the screws on my glasses, and, since we cooked for ourselves, opened countless cans with the can opener.

Maybe it was just the nature of that environment and the choices I had available, but that's the way my experiences shaped my opinion.

Thanks for asking.

Stay safe,

Mike
thank you for sharing your opinions Mike, i appreciate it