Sprint Runs Wanted in Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Sprint Runs Wanted in Spyderedge

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I know I've done a thread similar to this one but it's been a while. There are about three models that I keep hearing that they want back in Spyderedge. The one that tops the list is the old/discontinued C-36 Military in SE. But that's not the only one because I've heard many people who have literally begged for a Spyderedged version of the C-111 CAPTAIN model. Also I hear a steady stream of requests for the return of the Caly Jr. in SE.

Myself the one that tops my personal list to come back in SE is the Dodo model. That Spyderedged Dodo was truly the best serrated knife in it's size range. I very much would like to see a Sprint Run of the SE Dodo model back again.

With all the time that has passed I'm now wondering what you all would like to see in a Spyderedged Sprint Run? Or for that matter maybe the return of a favorite model in Spyderedge in the main line up? Another one I would like to see again in SE would be the C-60 Ayoob model. But I know that many of you have your own favorites you would like to see with TEETH so tell us what you would like to see in Spyderedge in a Sprint Run or even return to the main line up in SE that might have been there before?
elena86

Re: Sprint Runs Wanted in Spyderedge

Post by elena86 »

Worker :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:Worker :eek:
That is an excellent selection. For years I've wanted to see a Sprint Run worker in Spyderedge ( in a new steel of course :cool: )
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I keep hearing how H1 is the best for serrated due to work hardening the more you use it. Is there anything else out there than can compete? If not, why not use H1 for ALL fully serrated models, even non-salt models?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
elena86 wrote:Worker :eek:
That is an excellent selection. For years I've wanted to see a Sprint Run worker in Spyderedge ( in a new steel of course :cool: )

Oh yeah, this would be legit. The Worker is my current favorite model and most carried right now. G10 with H1 Spyderedge. Maybe dark Navy or dark Burgundy or dark Maroon G10 to compliment the dark green G10 plain edge worker sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:I keep hearing how H1 is the best for serrated due to work hardening the more you use it. Is there anything else out there than can compete? If not, why not use H1 for ALL fully serrated models, even non-salt models?
That's something to consider when talking about Spyderedged models because there are a few blade steels I've found that seem to excel in SE. Some of the blade steels I like for SE are 440V, ATS-55, GIN-1, AUS-8, ATS-34. I'm beginning to believe that those nitrogen based steels would probably do well in SE regardless of which one you would use.

Personally I've found 440V to be more durable for really hard cutting jobs. And oddly enough I've found AUS-8 to be extremely durable for edge holding. But I would never turn down a Spyderedge with H-1.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm totally with you on this JD. How about a blast from the past backlock Manix 2, navy linerless G-10 and FFG with full SE?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:I'm totally with you on this JD. How about a blast from the past backlock Manix 2, navy linerless G-10 and FFG with full SE?
That's an interesting model to consider for sure. But I wouldn't stop there because there are a lot of those GOLDEN CO models that I would like to see in a Spyderedge Sprint Run. The Chinook 3 was one I really wanted to see in SE. I've even considered what the Swick model might be like in SE?

At times I even wondered what the old GUNTING model might be like in full SE? But any of those GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models would be most interesting in Spyderedge :cool:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:I'm totally with you on this JD. How about a blast from the past backlock Manix 2, navy linerless G-10 and FFG with full SE?
That's an interesting model to consider for sure. But I wouldn't stop there because there are a lot of those GOLDEN CO models that I would like to see in a Spyderedge Sprint Run. The Chinook 3 was one I really wanted to see in SE. I've even considered what the Swick model might be like in SE?

At times I even wondered what the old GUNTING model might be like in full SE? But any of those GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models would be most interesting in Spyderedge :cool:
My first gut reaction was FFG JD Smith sprint in SE with about 1" of the tip left PE
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

C50 Centofante II. :cool: I know the tooling is long gone per Sal, but I believe a rebirth of this design would be very well received today.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:C50 Centofante II. :cool: I know the tooling is long gone per Sal, but I believe a rebirth of this design would be very well received today.
I couldn't agree with you more n the Centofante C-50 model. It was very similar to the Boguszewski Spike model which I dearly loved for years. As much as many of Spyderco's older models are loved now at this time I can't imagine why they disposed of the tooling :confused:

I actually had one of those in Spyderedge quite a long time ago>> but you guessed it I let it go in a trade :rolleyes: I was trading and going through models at a rate of about 12 a month during those older days on the forum.

I also completely agree with "xceptnl" about a full flat grind JD Smith model in Spyderedge. I have one of the older VG-10, full SE JD Smith models and it's a great cutting tool.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'll jump in on the Captain...though since I think the nose of this knife should be left plain edge....I'd go for LC200N and partial serrated.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Qcrazy wrote:I'll jump in on the Captain...though since I think the nose of this knife should be left plain edge....I'd go for LC200N and partial serrated.
Yes, the forward belly portion should be PE absolutely. I wonder how well this knife will actually sell. I know many complain of smaller more compact handled knives amd how they dont fit for them. This knife is not for everyone, and I seem to recall them not disappearing so quickly when they were available. That being said, I would gladly trade my lunch money for a few weeks to have a new Breeden Captain sprint. HAP40 anyone?
*Landon*
jdw

Post by jdw »

Military in old school black. Any good steel.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ulize is top of my list. Then maybe an Ayoob.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

^^

I always thought the Ulize ought to be in SE too, that shape and length screams serrations
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not mind seeing a SE Salt 2 in a different color of FRN as a sprint; perhaps orange or day glow green.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Qcrazy wrote:I'll jump in on the Captain...though since I think the nose of this knife should be left plain edge....I'd go for LC200N and partial serrated.
Yes, the forward belly portion should be PE absolutely. I wonder how well this knife will actually sell. I know many complain of smaller more compact handled knives amd how they dont fit for them. This knife is not for everyone, and I seem to recall them not disappearing so quickly when they were available. That being said, I would gladly trade my lunch money for a few weeks to have a new Breeden Captain sprint. HAP40 anyone?
Again we agree Landon :) The rounded, pendulum end of the Captain model should stay plain edged and I should have made it clear. The inner arch part of the Captain was serrated in the original Breeden prototype and why they never offered it in SE is just beyond me all together. I truly believe they would have sold 4 times as many of those Captain models if they would have offered the original unit in Spyderedge.

You might just as well admit that the Captain is a variant of a Hawkbill design and we all know that Hawkbill blades perform much, much better in Spyderedge. I would also be in for the Sprint Run to be made in HAP-40 but I also wouldn't be opposed if they made it in one of the other Japanese supersteels. I also would like to see Jason Breeden's RESCUE model in Spyderedge as well>> and why it wasn't offered in SE is also a mystery to me :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:^^

I always thought the Ulize ought to be in SE too, that shape and length screams serrations
Peacent again you and I think a lot alike ;) Myself and EVIL D have both been screaming for a Spyderedged version of the ULIZE for some time now. I just know in my gut that a Spyderedged recurve model would be a super cutting monster to say the least :cool: And I don't know of a better recurve to make a Spyderedged version of than the ULIZE>> I would also maybe add the SPYKER model in with that one too.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

karahawk!!