The Dodo 2019

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rivy

Re: The Dodo 2019

Post by rivy »

I couldn't resist some Dodo goodness! Would love to see just about any sprint for it! Would be cool to see some combos we've seen on other sprints too, Jade, Dark Green, etc. Blurple S110 would be awesome. Hard to go wrong. Probably a steel with the best possible edge retention since it's not an easy knife to sharpen.
haayema

Post by haayema »

SpyderNut wrote:How about dark green canvas Micarta and stonewashed CTS-XHP? 600 in Plain Edge and 600 in SpyderEdge would be fantastic. Sal recently mentioned they were looking at Micarta for the Chappy, so why not also for a Dodo Sprint?? :D
WINNER !!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:How about dark green canvas Micarta and stonewashed CTS-XHP? 600 in Plain Edge and 600 in SpyderEdge would be fantastic. Sal recently mentioned they were looking at Micarta for the Chappy, so why not also for a Dodo Sprint?? :D
Brilliant idea. I am in for two.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I could go for one of those.

Adding a matching Poliwog would be sweet too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK Spydernut I've thought about this and maybe you're on to something >> if they would also do a 600 lot of them in Spyderedge you can count me in. Because I want a Dodo in a blade steel different than S30V and I also want a new Spyderedged version of the Dodo as well. This idea of yours may indeed kill two birds with one stone>> metaphorically speaking of course :rolleyes:

Because Cold Steel has done a serrated Hawkbill in that steel and I've heard nothing but good about it. We all need to get on the same page and maybe the Great Spyder Factory will hear our request :)

Oh I also like your idea of the canvas Micarta but I could settle for a high grade of G-10. OK let the show begin :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The dark green micarta sounds good (green g-10 does too). As for steel my first choices would be ZDP, Hap 40, m4, Superblue, S90V, s110v, or maxamet. XHP wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though (looking forward to trying it out when I get my Rhino :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
rivy

Post by rivy »

I'd be in for Micarta and XHP! Sounds awesome. Could even go for a spyderedge also!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’d only be interested in a FRN Dodo in an affordable steel like BD1. Even at that, it makes for an expensive linoleum knife, IMO. The design seems to be meant for hard use and I cannot see myself buying it as a safe queen or thrashing a boutique knife. YMWLV*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleum_ ... _Knife.jpg

Your mileage will likely vary.*
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I am extremely excited about any variation of this model.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:The dark green micarta sounds good (green g-10 does too). As for steel my first choices would be ZDP, Hap 40, m4, Superblue, S90V, s110v, or maxamet. XHP wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though (looking forward to trying it out when I get my Rhino :D )
I wouldn't mind having a plain edged Dodo in S110V but I'm not so sure how it would fare in Spyderedge. But in XHP with both edge types I could live with. I think it would satisfy a lot of people to see it return in both edge types and with some steel other than S30V :rolleyes:

But a PE Dodo in S110V is a really cool idea. Boy that would be a monster to keep sharp though :eek:
Scoop-o-chips

Post by Scoop-o-chips »

Is this real? I bloody hope so, that'd be a dream come true
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Scoop-o-chips wrote:Is this real? I bloody hope so, that'd be a dream come true
It's still a dream at this point, but I hope it will be a dream come true. If enough people are interested (and vocal about it ;) )
FX sniper wrote:The Spyderco Dodo is not just a knife, it´s like Knife Art.
It's a very unique design, when I first saw it, I must admit I didn't think it was for me... But over the last few years slowly but surely the design began to call my name. I see the utility and function in the design now, and would very much like to add it to the collection.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FX sniper wrote:The Spyderco Dodo is not just a knife, it´s like Knife Art.
The Dodo model is not only Knife Art but it is without a doubt one of the most unique EDC folders I've ever encountered. When I got my very first Dodo all the way back in 2004 I really thought of it as only a unique "collector piece" or even a novelty type knife for that matter. But one week I decided to carry one every day for a week and I was absolutely blown away at how good the Dodo performed. And I was using my blue PE model.

If I were to use another Dodo model for EDC I would opt for the Spyderedged version this next go-around. But both edge types are extremely versatile for a blade as short as the blade on the Dodo is.

I'm still wondering what a larger scale, bigger overall sized Dodo model would be like. I just know in my gut that a Larger Dodo would even be better yet. The heck with 2019>> I want to see this happen in this year 2018>> the sooner the better and in both edge types this time :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd love to see one in 2018 too, I'm just being realistic about the timeline. These things take time :D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I'd love to see one in 2018 too, I'm just being realistic about the timeline. These things take time :D
Yeah you got a point there>> but with the Dodo model I do believe that you would get a lot more than just average support for a new rendition of that model. You wouldn't believe what a couple of guys have offered me for my "user blue PE Dodo". Of course I turned them down but I was astonished that both offers exceeded $150 :eek: Not to mention that some of those earlier Dodo models had decent heat treatments on them. And I'm not an S30V fan at all which is why I would like to see a new Dodo with a new blade steel>> and I know I'm not alone on that one.

But another Spyderedged Dodo is a MUST!! Because I'm just not going to pay $200+ for an older S30V SE Dodo. I'll wait to see if I can get lucky in the pawn shops before I cave in to that.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well I heard more than one person mention the idea again this week so I thought I'd bump my old thread and ask, is it time for a Dodo Sprint? :D

rivy

Post by rivy »

BHQ in jade! Lol. I’m not over jade despite many feeling that way.

I’d probably go for green micarta/XHP though even more!
garret

Post by garret »

I would take one without a doubt! It would be incredible if the spyderco guys did it, definitely one would come home, on the materials S110v would not be bad for me but in reality I do not have a preference
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I'll be in by then.

Serrated for me. FRN
and H1 (if that's possible)
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

not meant to crash the thread,
whats the fuzz about the DODO? i can't imagine it fitting my edc needs - but a ot of people really go nuts for the DODO.

what do you guys use it for?