The Dodo 2019

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: The Dodo 2019

Post by twinboysdad »

Cruwear.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

And if S30V, SE for a portion of the run
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m interested.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Regular production Dodo FRCP lightweight CBBL S110v and cts-bd1. Lol
carrot

Post by carrot »

Wanimator wrote:Regular production Dodo FRCP lightweight CBBL S110v and cts-bd1. Lol
I can't imagine it would be practical for Sal & co to make this one happen, but who knows, with higher production capacity at Golden and a newfound audience for hawkbills... we can dream!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Blue g10. M390 steel. Bento box shop, if you’re reading this...please!
$500+ no, thank you, but I will pass
Have you seen the price on their M390 Para 3? Pretty good.
Shocking.
Still I do not want to take my chances with bbs.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
osprey

Post by osprey »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Blue g10. M390 steel. Bento box shop, if you’re reading this...please!
this but BBS could charge MAP instead of MSRP...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

osprey wrote:
this but BBS could charge MAP instead of MSRP...
They can charge whatever they like because it would be an exclusive. MSRP, MAP, lower than MAP or higher.

They’re selling their m390 Para 3 for $155. That’s not bad, only $25 more than a black g10 s30v Para 3.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote: They’re selling their m390 Para 3 for $155. That’s not bad, only $25 more than a black g10 s30v Para 3.
Keep in the mind that additionally they charge :"For United States orders, the cost for shipping, insurance, and handling starts at $14.75 for up to two (2) knives via United States Postal Service (USPS) Priority Mail to any 50 States"
Only $15. Sorry, $14.75. When all other dealer do this for free.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote: They’re selling their m390 Para 3 for $155. That’s not bad, only $25 more than a black g10 s30v Para 3.
Keep in the mind that additionally they charge :"For United States orders, the cost for shipping, insurance, and handling starts at $14.75 for up to two (2) knives via United States Postal Service (USPS) Priority Mail to any 50 States"
Not to get off topic, but their price on a few of the HAP40 sprints is pretty fair considering they have disappeared from everywhere else.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Can someone explain the appeal of the Dodo? When I see this knife I just think, “what a pain in the butt to sharpen”.

It does not seem like it will be good for food prep. Opening boxes sure. Enlighten me?

I am not trying to hijack this thread so if I am too off topic just ignore.

Thanks!
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bh49 wrote:
Yes I’m aware of their shipping. Not all places can afford to cover shipping fees though. I also have a theory that bento box shop is a one man operation so he charges a little extra to cover handling fees. Which I think is fair.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

rybu0305 wrote:Can someone explain the appeal of the Dodo? When I see this knife I just think, “what a pain in the butt to sharpen”.

It does not seem like it will be good for food prep. Opening boxes sure. Enlighten me?

I am not trying to hijack this thread so if I am too off topic just ignore.

Thanks!
You are correct, it would suck for food prep. Dodo is honestly a specialized blade, think Hawkbill. The Reverse S is a bit more versatile than a Hawkbill but the tip on the Dodo points straight down. A really practical guy would have little use for the knife and I would not EDC it as a stand alone
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

with that kind of a blade shape I would prefer something easy to sharpen and touch up. S35VN, M390, or XHP would be nice to see, but if I were to have it my way it would be VG10.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Honestly if you have a sharpmaker I don't see it being a problem to sharpen. I've sharpened a SE Matriarch on my SM.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD was just mentioning the Dodo in the companion hawkbill thread, and I thought what a perfect time to bump this thread :D

Who else is in? :spyder:

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

carrot wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:For sure. Never got a chance to pick one up. Blurple S110V maybe?
YES please! I'd definitely snap one up!
The Dodo model in a SuperSteel :) For sure you can count me in ;) But on the Spyderedged version that I want so bad I would like to see it with CTS-XHP.

Also I really, really want to see them make what I would like to call the "XL Dodo" :cool: The Dodo is such a function dream model for it's blade size that I would dearly like to see it in a larger scale version. A larger handle, a longer wider blade and most definitely I would also want the larger one in Spyderedge :cool:

Why this model didn't become a perpetual stalwart model like the POLICE, ENDURA, Harpy ect I'll just never know :confused: But I know I'm not alone wanting a bigger version of the Dodo. But Spyderedge is a MUST!!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

That's a big fat NO!

I picked one up on the secondary market last year because I 'NEEDED' one. The ergos in the hand are surprising awesome! One of the best I have held. For a funny looking knife, it had no hot spots and felt very comfortable in the hand. However the ball lock was a bust. Apparently it is meant for people with skinny fingers. I could not easily release the blade. I wear size Xl gloves, so unless they change to a compression lock or a button lock, I will not get one.

Is it possible increase the cutout in the G10 around the ball lock to give bigger hands the opportunity to close the knife? Maybe part of CQI would be to send me a prototype for testing. :D
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:......
Why this model didn't become a perpetual stalwart model like the POLICE, ENDURA, Harpy ect I'll just never know :confused: .....
I think it's an obvious case of a great design that was way ahead of it's time. The exorbitant price this model gets on the secondary market is a strong indicator of how sought after this model is. I think the world is ready for it this time, thanks in no small part to this forum. When I first saw the dodo, I knew nothing of ball bearing locks or reverse S blades. Now that I've been 'edgeucated' I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Hopweaver wrote:....
Is it possible increase the cutout in the G10 around the ball lock to give bigger hands the opportunity to close the knife? Maybe part of CQI would be to send me a prototype for testing. :D
I wouldn't have any problems operating the lock as is, but I wouldn't mind if they added a cage to the ball bearing so the big hands/fingers crowd can open it easier. I expect if they do re-release it they would do a bit of CQI.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The original 2003 model Dodo truly was ahead of it's time. To me it's Eric Glesser's best design to date in my humble opinion. And when it was first introduced the Spyderedged version was just as easy to get as the plain edge was. But I had a hard time getting my hands on one at first. It wasn't until about the end of 03 when dealers I knew first started getting them. But that's just not all that unusual with Spyderco for some strange reason.

Yeah the Sprint Run ( if we are blessed enough to get another one) should have a different blade steel this go around. You don't want to use S30V forever for crying out loud :rolleyes: . But something like S110V or even S90V would make me very happy>> but then again I would go with CTS-XHP for the Spyderedged version.

The ones on the secondary market are so horribly pricey and I turned down a Spyderedged version recently for $200+>> no thank you :rolleyes: >> we can do better than that and with a better steel too I might add ;)