Which will be a more durable edge- serrated H1, or serrated Lc200n?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgoode315

Which will be a more durable edge- serrated H1, or serrated Lc200n?

Post by bgoode315 »

I know that Lc200n is supposed to be a better steel in plain edge, but H1 has that weird thing where it's 5 or 6 times more durable in serrated than plain, according to that interview video of Sal that was posted in here not too long ago. So in a serrated head to head, which one fairs better? Has anyone out there done that testing? I'm about to buy my first spyderedge knife!

Thanks!
Ben
wrdwrght

Re: Which will be a more durable edge- serrated H1, or serrated Lc200n?

Post by wrdwrght »

I think many here are waiting for feedback on this subject.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE Sal sent me to test...

Oh wait, I was dreaming aloud
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Has Spyderco released a SpyderEdge knife in LC200N, yet?
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NickShabazz wrote:Has Spyderco released a SpyderEdge knife in LC200N, yet?
There was the combo edge Native, that's all I'm aware of so far.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Durability meaning resistance to chipping? I would think H-1, but LC200N would also be better than say S90V, or other higher carbide steels IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a gut feeling that probably any of these nitrogen based steels would probably make great Spyderedged knives. We've heard that LC200N does do well in plain edge but I've yet to give a LC200N Spyderedge the JD Spydo performance test :rolleyes: >> and believe me I put my Spyderedged blades through a similated hellish usage most of the time.

It's been a strange journey for me because over the years I've found that many of the blade steels I like for Spyderedges don't often make for good plain edges :confused: Some of my favorite Spyderedged blade steels are 440V (S60V), ATS-55, GIN-1, AUS-8 and even H-2 buy none of those blade steels are noted for exceptional plain edged performance. VG-10 is one of the few blade steels that I've had great luck with both edge types.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JD Spydo wrote:I have a gut feeling that probably any of these nitrogen based steels would probably make great Spyderedged knives. We've heard that LC200N does do well in plain edge but I've yet to give a LC200N Spyderedge the JD Spydo performance test :rolleyes: >> and believe me I put my Spyderedged blades through a similated hellish usage most of the time.

It's been a strange journey for me because over the years I've found that many of the blade steels I like for Spyderedges don't often make for good plain edges :confused: Some of my favorite Spyderedged blade steels are 440V (S60V), ATS-55, GIN-1, AUS-8 and even H-2 buy none of those blade steels are noted for exceptional plain edged performance. VG-10 is one of the few blade steels that I've had great luck with both edge types.
H-2? Did you mean H-1?
attila

Post by attila »

Bump for curiosity.

I have some H1, but don't have any LC200N yet, so I was trying to find info to help decide on PE or SE.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't been able to get a SE Caribbean yet but it's #1 on my purchase list. It's really just a curiosity at this point as I'm very satisfied with my Autonomy.
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

NickShabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am
Yes, Spyderco Caribbean
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Very interesting question and I too want a valid answer to that question. It's also making me wonder about Nitrogen based steels in general as far as them being better for serrated and/or Spyderedges. Because I was literally shocked when Spyderco released their test results declaring H-1 to be their best steel for Spyderedges. I wouldn't have bet a dime on it after using a couple of H-1 plain edges.

Which makes me wonder if that actually work of grinding the serrations might have created hardness and/or toughness properties making it ideal for serrated edges. I've got the Spyderedged LC200N Native high on my priority list and I believe around Christmas time I can pull it off.

Also if the hierarchy of the GReat Spyder FActory is reading this thread let it go on record that I will buy a TUSK model if they ever offer it in Spyderedge. But again I would like to expand this question to nitrogen based steels in general for serrated edges.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I think toughness often helps with the teeth of serrated edge knives. Depending on what you're cutting, imagine a fast draw/slice. Where a PE knife would experience a test involving (adhesive?) wear, there is a certain amount of impact on the teeth of a SE knife. Also, the teeth of a SE knife in H1 maybe a SLIGHTLY higher RC than the apex of a PE blade in H1. That is my guess/take on it.

I would assume LC200N would be better cutting softer materials, and H1 might excel at cutting harder/more challenging or abusive materials. If I had to dive overboard and cut a net or line out of the propeller of a boat (something one had to do more than once), I'd rather have H1, for instance, which I feel would fair better for accidentally making contact with metal.
Last edited by Pelagic on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be really surprised if the answer isn't H1. I'm not aware of a tougher stainless steel, either in theory or in use.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I've managed to chip SE/H1 so I have my doubts that LC will perform any better in toughness. I'm curious if it holds an edge any longer but I'd be really surprised if it showed any increase in toughness.

And to add, I kinda value ease of sharpening as much as I do toughness when it comes to SE so I'm curious to see how responsive it is.
~David
tangent

Post by tangent »

I know nothing about serrated LC200N...that said, serrated H1 is going to be hard to beat.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I guess it depends on what you mean by "durable".

H1 is softer, so it won't hold an edge as well as LC200N, but it also won't chip or break as easily.

H1 is almost maxed out on toughness and rust resistance, but quite bad on edge retention. It makes for a good knife that gets stored in tough environments, but not used much. For example, in a boat or tool box.

LC200N is the superior steel for day-to-day applications.

Check the blade steel info at BladeHQ.com for the detail:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife ... uide--3368
-Jeremy
Strider

Post by Strider »

I am all about serrated edges these days. Would love to hear how serrated LC200n holds up so I can go ahead and get the native salt.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

NickShabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am
Hey dude,

Native 5 Salt is offered fully serrated, I got one shipping from Knifejoy now as we speak. I CAN VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Aren’t the Caribbeans LC200N ?
- best wishes, Jazz.