Delica hap40 pakkawood or vtoku2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Delica hap40 pakkawood or vtoku2?

Post by Strider »

I do not currently own a delica but currently have these two pre-ordered from KC. Will likely only keep one. I know people love their delicas, so which one would be better for my first (and likely only)?
xceptnl

Re: Delica hap40 pakkawood or vtoku2?

Post by xceptnl »

I think you will see some edge retention advantages to HAP vs Vtoku2, but everyone needs an FRN version so I say tough call. The pakkawood will make a nice piece if you only anticipated getting one.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SG89

Post by SG89 »

another thing to think about is will you be using an aftermarket clip? with pakkawood any length clip will be fine, with FRN scales you have to make sure your clip is long enough to hit the flat part of the frn so carrying the knife clipped doesn't shred your pocket
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Strider

Post by Strider »

Spydergirl88 wrote:another thing to think about is will you be using an aftermarket clip? with pakkawood any length clip will be fine, with FRN scales you have to make sure your clip is long enough to hit the flat part of the frn so carrying the knife clipped doesn't shred your pocket
Good point. I often wear rock climbing style pants and some of them have mesh pockets. So maybe smooth would be wiser.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

right now the Pakkawood is my favorite, FRN super blue a close second. There sure is something special about the Pakkawood, really feels much stouter than FRN and just seems classier.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How is your sharpening? VTOKU2 should sharpen easier than HAP40. I'm leaning VTOKU2 because I like more user-friendly steel.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

p_atrick wrote:How is your sharpening? VTOKU2 should sharpen easier than HAP40. I'm leaning VTOKU2 because I like more user-friendly steel.
HAP40 is not difficult to sharpen.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The Pakkawood has crept into my rotation as an office go to, becoming one of my most carried knives of the last few months. I have four other Delica4s and none of them have seen the pocket time this one has. HAP40 has been a pleasure, and this knife just looks and feels special. Gratuitous back spacer pic with it's big brother ;)

Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

abbazaba wrote:The Pakkawood has crept into my rotation as an office go to, becoming one of my most carried knives of the last few months. I have four other Delica4s and none of them have seen the pocket time this one has. HAP40 has been a pleasure, and this knife just looks and feels special. Gratuitous back spacer pic with it's big brother ;)

Really handsome duo. I really like mine, even though it's a safe queen still.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Sure is pretty.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

With the price of the KC HAP40 Pakkawood Endura now close to $170, which to me is just silly...I would personally go for the rvtoku2.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Pakkawood Delica by a country mile... it is so much nicer than the FRN versions. It’s a no-brainer as a first and only Delica.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Pakkawood, hands down.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Just was about to preorder a pakkawood delica and one popped up on the exchange for $135! My lucky day! Hopefully this will hold me over until they do a new G10 Sprint! Or Peel Ply CF!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

NIce grab!
Strider

Post by Strider »

I saw that one on the exchange a few minutes too late!
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Strider wrote:I saw that one on the exchange a few minutes too late!
What is the exchange? Where does everyone buy sell and trade around here? Thanks
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Demon85z wrote:
What is the exchange? Where does everyone buy sell and trade around here? Thanks
Over on Blade Forums
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

farnorthdan wrote:
Demon85z wrote:
Over on Blade Forums
Oh ok, thanks. I will head over that way and sign up.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
osprey

Post by osprey »

Wood is pretty rare on Spydies so it is hard not to imagine the pakkawood/HAP40 combo being a much sought-after classic down the road