The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?

Post by carrot »

The 4th generation Delica came out in 2006. The FFG variant that most people think of when they hear "Delica 4" came out in 2010.

Now that it's 2018, the D4 design will be 12 years old. The Delica pattern, released in 1990, will be 28 years old. To put it into perspective, the current darling and prospective classic of the knife world, the Paramilitary 2, debuted in 2010.

For myself, I keep re-discovering the Delica (and Endura, and Salts). The Delica 4 was my first Spyderco, back in 2006 when it was a minty fresh design. I will go through long periods where I've felt like I've outgrown it, and then inevitably, it will find its way back into my pocket and right now I am feeling a little Delica-crazed. A clipless purple D4 slips easily into my pockets and cuts with the best of them. So for me, the D4 is starting to feel like a classic - it's been with me from the start of my knife collection right til present day.

With that said, is it time for the Delica to see another revision? What would re-invigorate the design? What would set the baseline for the next decade? Or is the unassuming Delica literally mid-lock nirvana?
Evil D

Re: The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?

Post by Evil D »

Well, my biggest and maybe only gripe has always been those dang finger grooves. If the bottom side of the handle was shaped like the Harpy I'd own a bunch. There are so many sprints I've passed on because the ergonomics just don't work for me. So, I'd say yes it's due for an update, but I doubt I'll get what I want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

carrot wrote:The 4th generation Delica came out in 2006. The FFG variant that most people think of when they hear "Delica 4" came out in 2010.

Now that it's 2018, the D4 design will be 12 years old. The Delica pattern, released in 1990, will be 28 years old. To put it into perspective, the current darling and prospective classic of the knife world, the Paramilitary 2, debuted in 2010.

For myself, I keep re-discovering the Delica (and Endura, and Salts). The Delica 4 was my first Spyderco, back in 2006 when it was a minty fresh design. I will go through long periods where I've felt like I've outgrown it, and then inevitably, it will find its way back into my pocket and right now I am feeling a little Delica-crazed. A clipless purple D4 slips easily into my pockets and cuts with the best of them. So for me, the D4 is starting to feel like a classic - it's been with me from the start of my knife collection right til present day.

With that said, is it time for the Delica to see another revision? What would re-invigorate the design? What would set the baseline for the next decade? Or is the unassuming Delica literally mid-lock nirvana?

That's truly a tough one and well deserving of some serious thought. I share your feelings about the Delica 4 (the 3 is also still a great little knife that I keep coming back to). It finds it's way in and out of my rotation from time to time, each with a new and reenergized appreciation.

As for upgrades to inject new life back into this classic, I don't think I can think of a single improvement that would help the design as a whole in the quest towards perfection. Most all of my suggestions would be based on my preference and my tastes (crowned or swedged spine, bolstered with polished G-10 handles, all G-10 handles over existing skeletonized liners, revival of the barrel clip attachment, etc). These preferences would most certainly increase the production cost for both materials & labor, thus I doubt my preferred upgrades would be welcomed at a time when costs and pricing are on the rise.

Honestly, the introduction of variants like the Jazzdelica are a great way to attract new people to the fourth generation of the beloved Delica. Perhaps we will continue to see alternative blade shapes in an already well refined package.
Last edited by xceptnl on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sculpted G10 like the Shaman? Perhaps a finer tip? I like the **** out of it as is!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The answer is "both".
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

The Buck 110 is long In the tooth (50+ years) IMO but still sells like crazy.

I would assume the Delica (and PM2 and Endura) account for a substantial portion of Spyderco’s overall knife sales, so why change them? Almost every knife store I have visited has either a Delica or Endura on display. They are literally everywhere.

I personally wouldn’t change anything on the Delica beyond new steels and scales unless sales tanked....
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The Delica is a classic Spyderco design for me. Would be cool to see different handle configurations (g10, micarta etc), wire clip and a straight tip. Always keep using Japanese steels though, s30v models felt like a bit of an abomination to me and not much of an improvement over vg-10
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'd love a proper finger choil like on the Stretch, but that's not a huge thing. I like it pretty much the way it is. Oh, the new FRN pattern on the Chappy looks likes nice. Not sure if it feels/performs better the bi-directional pattern on the Delica et al.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:The Delica is a classic Spyderco design for me. Would be cool to see different handle configurations (g10, micarta etc), wire clip and a straight tip. Always keep using Japanese steels though, s30v models felt like a bit of an abomination to me and not much of an improvement over vg-10
I started a thread earlier today asking about G10 Delica sprints (go reply to that thread everyone! :) ), and would love to see that soon. I voted for laminated Superblue with Blurple or Red G10 scales. I think the wire clip would be cool on this as well, but since they have already done a G10 Sprint with the regular clip, I doubt we would see that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Another bolstered version would be nice, like the 25th, missed that one and lust after it every time I see one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd like the blade to be a hair thicker for strength. Don't stone me, all you slicey slicers. The Caly is thicker and it cuts well. For some reason, the wharnie is the perfect thickness though. Even though the finger grooves don't bother me at all, I'd still change the first one to encompass the first two fingers at least.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:Well, my biggest and maybe only gripe has always been those dang finger grooves. If the bottom side of the handle was shaped like the Harpy I'd own a bunch. There are so many sprints I've passed on because the ergonomics just don't work for me. So, I'd say yes it's due for an update, but I doubt I'll get what I want.
This is my biggest gripe too. The Delica, Tasman Salt etc. never worked for my grip.

I nearly wrote off Spyderco after buying a saber ground delica. It didn't cut as well as the swiss army knife it replaced and the handle was uncomfortable.

On an Endura 4, much less a Delica 4, there isn't enough space in the first finger groove for my middle and index finger to comfortably grip. I can either squish my hands trying to make it work, or grip it further back and then it feels awkward and tip heavy.

Luckily I got my hands on a Military next :D

They seem to sell well so I expect them to stay around. As long as Spyderco offers other models that fit my hands better I see nothing wrong with that!
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The handle has never quite worked for me, so I like the idea of a Delica5.

However, since I learned how to hold the knife further back and use it lightly, it's been less of an issue. The Pakkawood got a lot of pocket time last year and continues to be my office go to. Not sure why as it doesn't fit my hand great and I usually prefer the LW version of any given knife. I think we all agree that there is something special about the Delica4 even if it isn't perfect. I go back and forth on wanting a 50/50 choil or just more edge length... Either way lets do something with that exposed steel :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think the Delica and Endura work well with choils. The Cara Cara is basically an Endura 3 with a choil. I've added them to Pacific Salts too...plenty of room there not being used for anything else.
:unicorn
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Evil D wrote:Well, my biggest and maybe only gripe has always been those dang finger grooves. If the bottom side of the handle was shaped like the Harpy I'd own a bunch. There are so many sprints I've passed on because the ergonomics just don't work for me. So, I'd say yes it's due for an update, but I doubt I'll get what I want.
Same for me - the finger grooves just don't match up with my fingers.
andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

I actually just received my first delica in the mail today. I have to say first impressions that it is a really great knife. Very sharp and solid straight out of the box.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Some things are better left alone since they work perfectly as is. Sharks, crocodiles, Colt 1911 Government, Buck 110 folding hunter and Spyderco Delica for example :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Larry_Mott wrote:Some things are better left alone since they work perfectly as is. Sharks, crocodiles, Colt 1911 Government, Buck 110 folding hunter and Spyderco Delica for example :)
;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Larry_Mott wrote:Some things are better left alone since they work perfectly as is. Sharks, crocodiles, Colt 1911 Government, Buck 110 folding hunter and Spyderco Delica for example :)
Yep :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nothing works for everyone, but the Delica 4 seems to work for a lot of people. If that were not the case, Spyderco would have already come out with a Delica 5, or at least be working on one. We sometimes forget that, as much as Spyderco caters to the wants and whims of the "knife afi" community, not everything is about us. Some models, like the Delica and Endura, are designed with "non-afis" in mind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!