The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Re: The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?

Post by toomzz »

I also have a couple of thoughts:
-introducing a regular model of the Delica, Endura and Stretch in K390.
-adding a deepcarry clip, the existing wire or some new design.
-trying out a couple fluted/rounded handles in the SS or Ti models.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

toomzz wrote:I also have a couple of thoughts:
-introducing a regular model of the Delica, Endura and Stretch in K390.
-adding a deepcarry clip, the existing wire or some new design.
-trying out a couple fluted/rounded handles in the SS or Ti models.
The Mantra w/LC or other "good" stainless. ;) :)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Business 101

Delica and Endura are the two bread and butter knives for Spyderco.
You don't mess with your bread and butter. (you can change the stuff In between)

And Spyderco has a lot to choose from in between
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Timeless classic.

BUT...I do agree with D and Vivi that the finger grooves could use some reconsideration. I've always been wary of handles that cater to a specific hand, which is what finger grooves do. They sort of limit the clientele that the handle can serve. I think a more versatile handle, maybe rounded in the spirit of the Military family, would be more universally pleasing.

That being said, the hand that the Delica 4 handle caters to is my hand. I am a Delica fan for life, and I think the Delica has aged and evolved gracefully, staying true to itself all the while, and I expect it will continue to.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

PayneTrain wrote:Timeless classic.

BUT...I do agree with D and Vivi that the finger grooves could use some reconsideration. I've always been wary of handles that cater to a specific hand, which is what finger grooves do. They sort of limit the clientele that the handle can serve. I think a more versatile handle, maybe rounded in the spirit of the Military family, would be more universally pleasing.

That being said, the hand that the Delica 4 handle caters to is my hand. I am a Delica fan for life, and I think the Delica has aged and evolved gracefully, staying true to itself all the while, and I expect it will continue to.
Agree ...wise words
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

elena86 wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:Timeless classic.

Agree ...wise words
Definitely true....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be ok with one single index finger groove, maybe not as prominent as a Manix 2 but enough to lock your index finger in place. That seems like it would fit all but the fattest sausage fingers so long as the rest of the handle was smooth and contoured. Finger grooves are impossible to fit every hand to, I'm really shocked that the Autonomy fits me like it does, but on the flip side I can see the grooves being too big and wide apart for smaller hands so someone somewhere is getting the short straw when it comes to grooves.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

the delica has never fit me well, but the PM2 does :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I still think Spyderco should offer a similar service to what Benchmade does with a few models. You go to their website, select from a few models, and customize the knife (handle color/material, blade material, serrations, blade coating, etc.). Sure, you'll end up paying a bit more, but the people who want a customized version will most likely pay for it, and Spyderco won't have to disrupt the formula that has been working so well for the casual knife users.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FX sniper wrote:Why have they incarcerated RED to the training model? I want a normal Delica 4 in RED!!!!
Sal has said very recently that red is no longer reserved for trainers, and we already have a red G10 Para 2.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:I still think Spyderco should offer a similar service to what Benchmade does with a few models. You go to their website, select from a few models, and customize the knife (handle color/material, blade material, serrations, blade coating, etc.). Sure, you'll end up paying a bit more, but the people who want a customized version will most likely pay for it, and Spyderco won't have to disrupt the formula that has been working so well for the casual knife users.
That topic comes up pretty often and is shot down every time. It would be fun though.
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I love it as it is.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet but I'd like to see an upgraded lock on the Delica, Endura, Stretch, Dragonfly, Ladybug and Manbug.
I wouldn't say the current lock is inadequate or that it even bothers me. But the lockup on the Native 5 is better; it has virtually no slop.
I also prefer the "no play" lockup of the Chaparral which uses an internal stop as did the Sage 4.
It would make sense for a lock upgrade to accompany a re-design so that it's easy to distinguish from the old lock.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
p_atrick wrote:I still think Spyderco should offer a similar service to what Benchmade does with a few models. You go to their website, select from a few models, and customize the knife (handle color/material, blade material, serrations, blade coating, etc.). Sure, you'll end up paying a bit more, but the people who want a customized version will most likely pay for it, and Spyderco won't have to disrupt the formula that has been working so well for the casual knife users.
That topic comes up pretty often and is shot down every time. It would be fun though.
It is pretty amazing that there is so much diversity in the Spyderco lineup as it is. There are so many "regular" steels (S30, ZDP, XHP, S35, VG10, H1, LC200N, etc.), then you factor in the sprint runs. Plus you can get a Mule if you really want to experiment. Spyderco fans have it pretty good.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Delica 3 was among the very first Spyderco knives I got, and they still work great for me. The D4's ergos and blade work great for me, it's the Endura that never fit my hands properly. So in my book, from both a functional and nostalgic perspective, the D4 is a timeless classic!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
twinboysdad

Re: The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?q

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
I think the fact that Golden is not where these knives are made, affects this. Benchmade makes the Grips in OR, and can offer the custom shop. It would be cool if Spyderco could offer "roll your own" Natives, Millies, Manix, and PM2/3's at least. 5-6 steel choices, choose your hardware color, and 5-6 G10 or CF choices.
xceptnl

Re: The Delica 4: Timeless Classic or Long in the Tooth?q

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I think the fact that Golden is not where these knives are made, affects this. Benchmade makes the Grips in OR, and can offer the custom shop. It would be cool if Spyderco could offer "roll your own" Natives, Millies, Manix, and PM2/3's at least. 5-6 steel choices, choose your hardware color, and 5-6 G10 or CF choices.
I'll take one of each of them.... in RED :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

As someone who's hand fits the delica like a glove... I vote timeless classic. Wouldn't change a thing.

BTW if you like red delicas and don't mind RIT dye, check out KP. They have a bunch of red spydies.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I love the Delica and have a few of them. About the only thing I would like is a FFG Serrated knife. I don't mind the saber grind but a batch of full flat grind SE knives would be nice.
Mastermachetier

Post by Mastermachetier »

I love the delica. My favorite knife ever. That being said I really would love to see Sal make a spyderco with upgraded scales that doesn't have vg10 steel. Also a deep pocket wire clip would be awesome.