BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scroop

Re: BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Post by Scroop »

I haven't received the two I bought yet, but as for the 200+ Spyderco knives I have purchased before...none of them was ever returned.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I was about to come in here after just receiving mine and spit fire and flames of fury because even though I am as far from a blade-centering snob as my blade is from center (it's about a couple thou from touching, worst I own in any brand), for $220 I expected way better. And I'm just tired and cranky today.

But after reading Sal's comments about the difficulty of using this steel in such a large blade, I checked on a straight edge and yes indeed, the blade is ever so delicately warped. I really can't fault Seki for that. In fact, it makes me wonder just how bad it really could have been if this is the best they could do. And while my pivot is firm, it is still smooth so now I'm back to grateful again that this was produced at all. It is so sexy that knocked me back in my chair when I opened the box and blurted out an audible "whoa".

It'll take me some time to warm up to the natural G-10 scales, though. While I think they look awesome on just about every other model BHQ has commissioned, I just don't think they fit on the Lum Tanto. I'm trying to wrap my head around the "new age meets traditional" feel I get from it, and I think it'll come in time. In the mean time, I cannot wait to samurai chop a sandwich or seppuku a bag of rock salt for my water softener! And of course, I'll rinse it off after.

Thanks again for listening Sal and making this dream happen, and sorry we're so inconsolable. :o You know us!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
PStone

Post by PStone »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:36 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:45 am
Also posted this on BF:

cigarrodog said: ↑
Hello Sal. I agree with you. The blade alone makes it worth owning. I don’t have a problem with the blade being off-centered, but should it practically touch the other side? I am loathe to give this one up. Is there something that can be done to make its’ off-centeredness less extreme? Thank you.
Hi Cigarrodog,

Practically touching the liner and touching the liner are different. As I said, if you're not happy, send it back. Our goal is to have happy customers. Bob's design has a thick part of the blade between the liners. Most of our knives are full flat or high hollow so it's not as easy to see. How many other makers do you know even trying to use Hap 40? It's a PITA to turn into a blade. Compare apples with apples. How many dealers do you know of that have the balls to commission such a project? BHQ always has the best interest of their customers in mind.

Also, with all of the complaints, I will probably not make another one.

sal
The way you have been publicly talking about your customers is a bit off-putting. I understand that the customer is not always right, but a little discretion goes a long way. If the product is good, it will show. If not, that will also show. Shiny footprints?
+1
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brian, DirtMcGirt,

Didn't mean to put you off. My apologies. Is it the content of my posts that put you off, or the style of my communication?

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess it's totally ok for people to talk trash about a company and their CEO and business ethics and make all kinds of insults and accusations but God forbid if that person gets sick of hearing the constant flow of negative attitudes and drama. The customer is not only always right but also the only one with feelings and the only one entitled to an opinion. Some of you people are honestly delusional.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kinzpop226

Post by Kinzpop226 »

I for one think this is an awesome blade. I love the lamination lines and the off center blade really isn’t that bad to me. I love bob lum knives. And I can not see me getting rid of this knife

Cheers Sal on a great knife, keep them coming.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Reading all this I am now very happy that my Pakkawood Endura (3.8") with HAP40/SUS410 blade is the probably the best centered knife I own :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kinzpop,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 pm
Some of you people are honestly delusional.
More likely just not very considerate, as in not much gets considered beyond the readily available information of "something wrong with new knife". I mean, when you look at just those bits of information and nothing else, yeah the obvious reaction is anger, which then leads to a mental search for justification for anger which returns "spent $220” and "never happened before" and "me hungry" and by that point, why think anymore? The argument is formed, grab a bear claw and get on the internet! How do I know? I did it too today. Well, minus the bear claw. I'm still hungry.

But then I gave it some more thought, and I realized I was wrong in feeling wronged and angered. Others may too in a day or two. And yeah, Sal came back a little more aggressively than we are used to seeing from him, but I for one can't fault him for that any more than I can fault Seki for trying to keep a long thick piece of layered steel laser straight during heat treating. It would be extraordinary to not feel offended, as it would be extraordinary for these blades to be as perceivably flawless as my burnt orange Dragonfly. So again, on behalf of all the knee jerkers out there, I apologize for our embarrassing indignance. :(
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I guess people have forgotten the Military centering technique - another long blade using standoffs. I also think people forget that Spyderco push the envelope a little with this sort of sprint run - unusual design, unusual laminated steel, most unforgiving of scales etc etc. The value is really in these factors and the rarity.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:48 pm
Hi Brian, DirtMcGirt,

Didn't mean to put you off. My apologies. Is it the content of my posts that put you off, or the style of my communication?

sal
Just use to seeing you take the high road. As of late, you have gotten down in the 'muck'. But, I have never been in the position to see my life's work being bad mouthed (as you have), so I may be out of line.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

I don't have a problem with the heat. As long as we are honest and transparent in our discussions. In the end, we are all here to learn.

Hey Brian, sorry, I'll try to be more patient and understanding. I don't think you or anyone else is "out of line" as long as we speak our truth.

sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

Maybe it’s just me not interpreting the earlier posts correctly, but it feels like you’re talking down to us. That people’s concerns with this knife are invalid, and they are stupid for not knowing more about hap40. I don’t know what to think. Maybe I’m just looking for negative, so I interpret it negatively. I’m not a steel expert nor do I know any custom knife makers. I mainly lurk in the background and try to absorb what info I can about the knives I spend all my extra money on. Im still awaiting mine in the mail and am not happy I didn’t get it today like I was supposed to. So I don’t have a valid opinion to share about this knife yet. Only that I felt the same as Brian.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 pm
I guess it's totally ok for people to talk trash about a company and their CEO and business ethics and make all kinds of insults and accusations but God forbid if that person gets sick of hearing the constant flow of negative attitudes and drama. The customer is not only always right but also the only one with feelings and the only one entitled to an opinion. Some of you people are honestly delusional.
And some people attempt to suppress other people's OPINION, all the while promoting their OPINION.

I don't recall anyone saying the behaviors described are 'ok'. Sorry to ruffle you up.

Sal, you don't need to apologize!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
rivy

Post by rivy »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:48 pm
Hi Brian, DirtMcGirt,

sal
I have to admit I am also a bit put off by the comments.

It's understandable to be frustrated with the complaints when extra, concerted effort was spent to collaborate on this model. If I was in your shoes, Sal, I would feel frustrated and disappointed as well. However, $220 is no small amount of money and I expect the people who waited online for the 10am MST drop and spent their hard earned money on a special piece also feel frustrated and let down when the fit and finish isn't what's expected as typical from Spyderco.

I imagine most people (including myself) don't know about the challenges HAP40 presents or using that steel in this type of blade with this grind/thickness/etc. However, as the experts, I imagine you and BHQ would have chosen materials that you thought you could get the job done with. It does make me wonder a little if these were allowed through QC as is, or assuming people wouldn't be upset, etc.

I missed this drop, regrettably, but I have the Pakkawood/Hap40 endura and also the Hap40 Caly 3, both knives I LOVE and had I not missed my chance on this knife, I would have been pretty disappointed if my blade showed up warped. Especially since my other HAP40 knives are perfect.

The customer is NOT always right, that's for sure, but in this case it sounds like due to the cost/challenges of this build, some things that normally wouldn't be okay in terms of Spyderco quality were either not caught, or they were allowed.

I think being mad at the fans who spoke out, or even "taking something away" from all the fans due to the upset ones because of your frustration feels like a parent putting us in time-out. "If you act/feel this way, then we just won't make this blade again." Essentially discouraging your fans from speaking out about their real feelings. I think the way that was delivered was not right. Is there ANY reason to look internally at the materials, the build, the QC, etc.? Perhaps whoever made the material choices, perhaps?

I wasn't able to get one of these, and I am a newer knife-nut (of only a couple years), and newer to the forums here, but I think it's fair to say that although the customer is sometimes an *******, there may also be some fault internally as well, for whatever reason. It's not fair to put it all back on the customer entirely and to "take away" the chance at a Lum Tanto from the rest of the community.

Hopefully this post doesn't come across as aggressive or attacking, I'm just trying to provide an objective view point.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I've been loosely following along with all of this since the release of the blade, and also have not posted on here for quite some time. It was certainly well anticipated, and people were excited for the knife. Unfortunately when people don't have their expectations met, they get a little (sometimes very) salty. I had the chance to handle one, and I really liked it. Yes, the centering was off, and the pivot wasn't as smooth as if it was riding on air. However, I still really, really liked the knife. It felt like it could put in work, and be comfortable doing so, coming out the other end in good working order. It felt like a sturdy dependable blade without weighing 10 oz. I for one am very into this sprint because I like the knives you can use. I wish I wasn't a poor college student and could afford to buy more than one production model a year. Sure it's a pretty knife, I love Lums blade designs, but it's not a gold infused carbon fiber twill, polished titanium good-to-look-at-but-not-use kind of knife. Sal, I believe the knife is well executed and if you feel the need to stand up and say something to get your points across, I don't have a problem with that. Because some people can be really thick skulled lol.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I love the one I got, yes it is a tad off center but not enough for me to cause an uproar. Lamination lines are perfect, action is smooth.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

received mine today and it looks fine to me, I do see what Sal is saying about the thickness of the blade within the liners, not much room there for error, I'd say the one I got is pretty close to centered. Smooth action with no grinding as reported by others. Its a keeper.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mine arrived today! Happy to finally have it in hand. In general, the fit and finish is quite good. It has a smooth opening/closing action and the scales and liners mate very well, perfectly flush all around. Also, the mirror polished liners look fantastic! My blade is also off center, but that doesn't really bother me too much.

The only thing I'm slightly disappointed by is the almost non existent lamination line on the show side of mine. I can see a small line about a millimeter above the edge, and nothing visible on the "tanto" portion. The other side has a little bit more showing, but still very little. Regardless, I'm happy with the knife overall, definitely not unhappy enough to return it! Really like this model so far and would probably be more disappointed to not have it at all.

(compared to my HAP40 Caly 3 for reference)
-Nick :bug-red
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, that is quite a difference, though obviously due to blade thickness and subsequent grind angles.

Also, LOVE your calendar photo this month!