BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Orangeneck

Re: BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Post by Orangeneck »

Mine came in yesterday and was, as expected, perfect. The thick spine meant that there was less space than usual between it and the liners and the blade was perfectly centered. I only wish I had ordered my usual two. I will continue to buy knives manufactured by Seki.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

This conversation seems to have settled down some, but I posted this on BF too.
As far as the Lum tanto goes, some of the pictures and QC concerns are alarming, especially for folks like me who have waited a long time for this to come to pass, and anybody with a problem one should do whatever they feel is the correct decision for them. But for me, I hope I can take delivery of my Lum tanto tomorrow (weather permitting), and I hope it is a good one, but if it is not it will be going to spyderco for a tune-up, not back to BHQ. No judgement from me on what anyone else decides, or how they feel about this whole conversation, but I still want one (a functional one).

One thing I am confident of, is that Sal and spyderco really do try their best to deliver what the customer wants and expects. Between that, the generally very high quality, the range of designs and steels, there really is not a comparable knife company out there. Now, if it is not too soon or out of place, I want a Lum tanto fixed blade in a top-end steel next (use some of the 4V left over from the Ankerson/Sanders bowie) :)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I think it's pretty safe to say, even those who were disappointed with this knife realize just how good the Spyderco Company is. Very few will cease purchasing Spyderco's because they know how good the knifes are. Yes, I have several on my wishlist. :spyder: (Spyder)
vgex

Post by vgex »

If people think the little bit of feedback on this is bad, look up the release Knight's Armament Co. non-ambi stripped AR-15 lower receivers. Jeeze, that sent a company owner into retirement along with him closing up shop.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

It's just rare for it to even approach this level of heatedness, vgex. It seems that there was some confusion between the practical realities of manfacture and the good faith attempt to put out a good product. That Sal has handled so many of these threads with the grace and stoicism he has impresses me and I think it leads to more civil and logical, evidence-based discussions about both specific products and how to make them better in general.
bchan

Post by bchan »

If there are minor centering issues is there anything the end customer can do to correct this without sending it back? (Haven't had this knife, but still going to buy one anyway notwithstanding the comments expressed in this thread). Thanks.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I started to comment that the construction is similar to the Rock Lobster but I see now that they're about 10 years apart in manufacturing so maybe not. They are similar however in that there is very little space between the blade and handle scales when closed, so even the slightest amount of centering issue is very easy to notice. I would consider myself above average in my ability to adjust these knives, but I struggle with getting the Rock Lobster centered and with the pivot adjusted to where I like it, it's usually either centered and too tight or too loose and off center. I think the unfortunate reality of knives like this sprint run is that they were designed 20 years ago and Spyderco have come a long way in their manufacturing and design in that time, and I think this is especially apparent to those who are newer to the brand and have become familiar with Spyderco through the Para 2's and other knives that have benefited from years of CQI improvements. While this knife is a pretty awesome design, it does seem that it could benefit from some CQI and/or a complete ground up redesign. I don't say all this because I think it's a poor design, but if you compare it to the near flawless execution of the current Military, there is an obvious difference. This could entirely be related to the manufacturer, or it could just be a dated design that needs some attention if we're to expect it to be as flawless as a Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

I just got both of mine in the mail and I think they're sexy. I did notice that the skeletonized liner side lacks a 5th scale screw that causes a tad separation between the scale and liner. This was on both pieces in the same area. I only noticed this when I gun sighted the spine from bottom to tip. This may be causing some centering issues or the appearance of issues. I am truly in love with this knife and so pleased Spyderco made it. That blade alone is so **** beautiful !! Thanks Spyderco for the effort placed into seeing this come to fruition.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Mines delayed yet another day due to the nasty snowstorm. Can't wait to check it out.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm
Mines delayed yet another day due to the nasty snowstorm. Can't wait to check it out.
Mine too. Same storm even :(
Anticipation...
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Just opened the box, after the extra day delay.
Could not be happier with my long awaited Lum tanto folder! Close enough centering, no blade play open or closed, solid lockup, beautiful blade. All good! After all that I probably feel more relieved than I have ever felt after waiting on a delivery, but also very appreciative of having one finally in my hand.
As a bonus, I also had the Perrin PPT sprint on my want list, and as it worked out, that was released nearly the same time as the Lum and I had to get one (and use up my knife budget for the rest of the year :). It is perfect!
So its a good day (despite the painful snow removal, crappy road conditions and extra long drive to work this morning)
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Just received my two. One is for a buddy overseas. Absolutely beautiful!!! Hopefully we get to see more discontinued knives come out like this throughout the next few years.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Richierich252000 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:00 pm
Just received my two. One is for a buddy overseas. Absolutely beautiful!!! Hopefully we get to see more discontinued knives come out like this throughout the next few years.

Rich (Candyman)
To say i am releived is an understatement.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

loving mine

ImageIMG_6016 by Travis Raffety, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6052 by Travis Raffety, on Flickr
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Nice photos travvy. Thanks for sharing.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Just opened my lum and its a gorgeous knife, blade doesn't touch liners at all, gorgeous lines where the laminated blade changes metal. Just a great knife. Thanks for bringing it to us Sal and others.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
foofie

Post by foofie »

Received mine - aftermarket. It was smooth at first, and then the grinding started. As I lubed up the detent - I noticed it seems really prominent. Is it possible that the detent ball is prominent and not fully seated - causing both the grinding sound, as well as the off-centered blade (excess pressure from the lock side)?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Hey foofie, at the risk of being branded I'll try and answer your question. My Lum had the same issues as yours. After flushing the pivot area, blowing it out, and adding a drop of oil the grinding stopped. The blade still remains very close to the liner on the right side. After reading your question I pulled mine out and gave a closer inspection. It does seem the detent ball protrudes a bit further than on other models. I could be wrong but I doubt the detent is causing the misalignment of the blade as it's close to the pivot pin which is held firm. I too am hoping someone else might be able to give input on ideas to center the blade. I like the knife, the grind and laminate lines are excellent. One hopes in an open forum, negative comments and questions would not be perceived as brand bashing. I have many Spydies and have returned only 1. Still on the fence with the Lum, hadn't planned on this being a user.
Last edited by Tdog on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Perhaps this will settle everyone down a bit. The next feeding frenzy...

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
foofie

Post by foofie »

Tdog wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 am
Hey foofie, at the risk of being branded I'll try and answer your question. My Lum had the same issues as yours. After flushing the pivot area, blowing it out, and adding a drop of oil the grinding stopped. The blade still remains very close to the liner on the right side. After reading your question I pulled mine out and gave a closer inspection. It does seem the detent ball protrudes a bit further than on other models. I could be wrong but I doubt the detent is causing the misalignment of the blade as it's close to the pivot pin which is held firm. I too am hoping someone else might be able to give input on ideas to center the blade. I like the knife, the grind and laminate lines are excellent. One hopes in an open forum, negative comments and questions would not be perceived as brand bashing. I have around 150 Spydies and have returned only 1. Still on the fence with the Lum, hadn't planned on this being a user.
Thanks for the reply, Tdog. I, too, have more than my fair share of Spyderco's and I appreciate that much of the angst has cooled off.

There was a comment about whether this is a function of an older design. My grey sprint Lum tanto does not have these issues, and based on recollection was not an issue then (but my memory is poor :o ). I have been comparing the two different versions, wondering if the current problems are related to machining, assembly, design (likely not), or other.

I am a huge Lum fan, and as much as I like to keep only users, I am even considering a second...
I just wonder if the "fix" is readily available and straight-forward.