Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kvdo

Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Post by kvdo »

I got the Compression Lock Lil' Native the moment it was available on BladeHQ and I'm really loving it. The Native is one of my favourite Spyderco designs, but the standard back-lock Native has a few things I don't like:

-Pocket clip hotspot: In a tip-up, right-side carry position, the end of the pocket clip is right where my index finger is in a choked-back grip, making it an uncomfortable hotspot.

-Back lock: I'm always wary of the snappy self-close on back locks. Stronger than other locks, I've had a few instances where my finger slipped off the spyder hole while opening and the blade would nip the little bit of finger that ended up in the blade path.

The Compression Lock Lil' Native solves both of those issues for me - the Compression Lock doesn't snap close, and the wire pocket clip doesn't extend into the rear finger choil. It does, however, create a bit of a hotspot near the base of the handle. I have the pocket clip switched to the left side on my Lil' Native to alleviate that issue. I would also do the same to my standard back lock Native, but I've found that the loss of grip that the clip normally provides when opening makes opening it a lot more precarious.

The Compression Lock Lil' Native also has a very intuitive disassembly. Very few parts, and most important for me - no press-fit lanyard tube like on the PM2.

I do, however, prefer the size of the standard Native. Giving it a Compression Lock and the same build/ease of disassembly as the Lil' variant would make it my ultimate EDC.
sal

Re: Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Post by sal »

Hi Kvdo,

Welcome to our forum.

No plans at this time, but we'll keep your request in mind.

asal
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I was thinking about this too, a Native 5 LW in s35vn is high on my list of knives to buy. The other day, I was pondering: FRN with nested liners, comp lock, and a wire clip. any reason it can't be done? I think it would be stellar.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Like the OP, whatever variant of whatever model is in the making, I wish Spyderco would lose the unfortunate press-fit lanyard tubes found on some models...

Gerard
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was pondering this question myself a few weeks ago. Do I want a compression lock Native? The short answer is yes... but..... then I thought about all the knives on my wish list that I probably won't be able to get this year as it is.... and thought about how redundant it would be to the Para 3... The native is one of the best backlocks around, and I almost feel like it wouldn't be a 'Native' without the backlock... so I decided I'm not gonna ask for one, but if they made it I'm sure I'd want one. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
attila

Post by attila »

I agree that it would be nice, but I'd actually prefer a 2.5" or 3" CBBL Native/"Lil'Manix" instead.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'm actually hoping for a back locking Shaman, probably not likely but who knows.. :)
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

With how many possible variations of models there could be, I wonder if a Custom Knife Builder would be popular. Select your model, lock, blade steel, blade edge, scale material/color. Would be crazy for Spyderco to maintain, though.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I love the size and weight of the Native 5 LW with FRN scales. I wouldn't think it's feasible to have a compression lock with FRN, and the G-10 versions have steel liners and are thus much heavier than the FRN versions. Maybe the fluted carbon fiber handle could be redesigned for a compression lock and still remain pretty light — but also more expensive. Or could the G-10 scales be made linerless?

I imagine that for most models, such an extensive handle redesign as would be necessary to go from backlock to compression lock isn't something Spyderco sees as very practical. Still, I'd love to see it. A light Native 5 with compression lock (and a slightly thinner blade) would be ideal for me.
Jim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

attila wrote:I agree that it would be nice, but I'd actually prefer a 2.5" or 3" CBBL Native/"Lil'Manix" instead.
+1 for Lil' Manix :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
olywa

Post by olywa »

The Native 5 LW is just about perfect for me. The only thing I'd change would be the clip. Love to see it with a deep carry wire clip.
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

I also like the Lil Native as a nice addition to the line for a high quality small knife. I think the Native design works well with the back lock. It is a nice complement to a Para 3. The Native offers a spring closure rather than decent closure which is nice if carrying the knife loose in a pocket or bag. The back lock design also facilitates the FRN LW version while the Para 3 is lighter than the G10 Native.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
attila wrote:I agree that it would be nice, but I'd actually prefer a 2.5" or 3" CBBL Native/"Lil'Manix" instead.
This has been a theme for a while. I am thinking that an FRN CBBL Sage is a definite possibility.

After owning the Shaboy I'm pretty sure I'm going to like the backlock version better. On some level, I'd rather see the trend of linerless models continue rather than more comp locks that require them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gmhauy wrote:Like the OP, whatever variant of whatever model is in the making, I wish Spyderco would lose the unfortunate press-fit lanyard tubes found on some models...

Gerard
It seems that some models require that for structural rigidity when there isn't a scale screws at the back of the handle. A Manix 2 for example if your lanyard tube isn't flared out you can lift the butt end of the non clip side scale off the liner. A lot of Taichung models are coming with tubes that aren't flared, the Sliverax is the most recent..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

abbazaba wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
This has been a theme for a while. I am thinking that an FRN CBBL Sage is a definite possibility.

After owning the Shaboy I'm pretty sure I'm going to like the backlock version better. On some level, I'd rather see the trend of linerless models continue rather than more comp locks that require them.
I wonder if a linerless cbbl is possible.

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Manix2 LW has no liners, just a "figure 8" washer.
https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/ima ... 38d205.jpg
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well there you go. Thanks Abbazaba

kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Evil D wrote:
gmhauy wrote:Like the OP, whatever variant of whatever model is in the making, I wish Spyderco would lose the unfortunate press-fit lanyard tubes found on some models...

Gerard
It seems that some models require that for structural rigidity when there isn't a scale screws at the back of the handle. A Manix 2 for example if your lanyard tube isn't flared out you can lift the butt end of the non clip side scale off the liner. A lot of Taichung models are coming with tubes that aren't flared, the Sliverax is the most recent..
In general, Spyderco knives seem to require fastening in three points at minimum, and reasonably spaced to provide rigidity. Pivot, stop pin/along the back of the knife, and the butt of the handle.

The Para3 has a floating stop pin, and the actual fasteners are the pivot, press-fit lanyard tube, and a standoff at the lower back of the handle.

The Lil Native has three fasteners with no lanyard tube - pivot, stop pin, and butt of the handle. Its small size probably allows enough rigidity even with the stop pin so close to the pivot.

The Sage 5 has three fasteners as well, with a floating lanyard tube. Pivot, butt, and lower back of handle.

The Manix 2 has the pivot, and two screws holding the metal backspacer, but the screws for the backspacer are too close to each other to serve as two points for rigidity, so the press-fit lanyard tube acts as the third.

The Military and PM2 seem to be exceptions to this three-point rule. I'm guessing at their size, three fasteners just isn't enough to provide sufficient rigidity.

For a standard-sized Compression Lock Native, I think it would end up with something similar to the Sage 5 fastener configuration if it's lacking the press-fit lanyard tube. I'm unsure if the Lil' Native's fastener configuration is enough to maintain rigidity when scaled up to the standard Native size.

This is all, however, purely conjecture, as I am not a knife maker.
attila

Post by attila »

abbazaba wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Manix2 LW has no liners, just a "figure 8" washer.
https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/ima ... 38d205.jpg
I'd be game for either linerless FRN or linerless G10 with a CBBL.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The linerless G10 Manix 2 back lock is a wonderful knife. I am sure the linerless G10 Native 5 is just as nice.

Now, I would love to see a back lock Manix 2 lightweight in XHP.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050