Another question about Spyderco Moran Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peter1960

Re: Another question about Spyderco Moran Knives

Post by Peter1960 »

Reject wrote:The Morans.

The leather sheath of the old Morans is best quality! An impressive line-up!

I see you miss the old Moran FB01 with convex edge bevel and golden letters on the blade ... I don't have it either ;) .
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

fanglekai wrote:
elena86 wrote:Is it full tang ?
No. I saw xrays of it somewhere online.

I have the trailing point version, and it's very light and a great slicer. I have never needed to baton to start a fire so I can't speak to that.
https://youtu.be/2g4GuYfVtYA
1B903D69-7492-4DBC-9AB4-C09B86DF3F5A.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always loved the MORAN fixed blade model. I've owned 3 of them over the years and I had no complaints. But the one fixed blade I've fallen in love with and just can't find another one I like better is the original TEMPERANCE 1 model. It was one of the very few great Spyderco fixed blades you could also get in Spyderedge and Plain Edge both.

But I've taken the TEMPERANCE 1 models I've owned and used over the years and put them through some pretty tough jobs and they have performed very well and it still remains to be my favorite Spyderco fixed blade of all time. The handle ergos are fantastic and maintenance is a breeze with that knife and it can be used in a very wide range of cutting jobs.

I would never tell anyone not to get a Spyderco MORAN model but I can say with 1000% confidence that the TEMP 1 is truly a masterpiece of a fixed blade model and I want to see the TEMP 1 fixed blade model in a Sprint Run more than any other Spyderco fixed blade model>> but in SE & PE both ;) .
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote: Sorry for the double :o .
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

An LC200N run of Morans would be neat - I think there could be more LC200N fixed blades in general.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The only thing that makes me feel luke-warm about Morans is the thumb placement. I've only briefly handled them in stores so maybe it's something I'd work around with some familiarity, but my thumb wanted to go right where the blade and handle meet. Not the most comfortable spot.

Those who use Morans, where do you put your thumb when you're not using the forward choil?
:unicorn
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

There are finger pads on the sides of the handle. That is what I use.

Speaking of finger choils, the top of the sheath has a shape like a finger groove that is tempting to grasp when drawing the knife.

Don't do it. A finger can interfere with the edge.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Peter1960 wrote:The Morans.

The leather sheath of the old Morans is best quality! An impressive line-up!

I see you miss the old Moran FB01 with convex edge bevel and golden letters on the blade ... I don't have it either ;) .
:) G’day Peter

Got a couple more Morans since the above photo was take. :( But not the old Moran FB01 with convex edge bevel and golden letters on the blade.

Not sure if I didn’t know that model existed or :o I just forgot about it.

Looking at the photo below, I an sure there is at least one more missing. There must have been a FB02 with a Spydie hole, but no lanyard hole.

Haven’t yet found a full list of what Moran models were produced.

How much can a Koala bear?