Another question about Spyderco Moran Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Another question about Spyderco Moran Knives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For those who have used these Spyderco Moran fixed blade knives such as this one:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB02/43

I have questions:

1 If a person in a country like Canada where they are putting greater pressure on folding knives, and where you can carry a fixed blade knife with a blade four inches or under, and you want to feel the "security" of having a good quality scalpel sharp cutting tool on your person, is this a good knife to carry?

2 In a couple of reviews online I saw some people say they like and even love this knife but they then say the blade is not full tang. One person claimed they would not feel comfortable having to baton the blade through a piece of wood.

Should I or whomever would want to get this knife have the secure feeling that they can put this to almost every cutting chore, and as long as they do not try to twist it or bend it or abuse it beyond reasonable use, they do not ever have to be concerned that the blade will break?

Thank you ahead of time friends.
sal

Re: Another question about Spyderco Moran Knives

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

1. can't speak for Canada, but I do know that in the UK "security" is not a good work as self defense is not legal.

2. We've been making this knife for 20 years. I don't think you are going to break it with a baton. Funny how people have all of these grand "opinions" with no experience.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't think you'll break a Moran unless you did some heavy prying with the tip. Spyderco makes some solid fixed blades, even the hidden tang models. Mine have withstood years of outdoors use.
:unicorn
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

In Canada, any knife of any size, folder or fixed, being carried for the purpose of "security" or "self defence" would be considered a weapon and therefore a prohibited item. If you are carrying it because you need a tool to open boxes, cut apples, or deal with aggressive cardboard, then it would be fine. Although you'd be hard pressed to find anyone EDCing a 4inch fixed blade in a city, who is outside law enforcement. Out in the country, I doubt anyone would bat an eye.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SEF, I seem to remember Sal telling me that the Military tested the Moran and it did quite well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you all, thank you sal, for your answers. This is very helpful. This answers my questions. Another one I was looking at is the Fred Perrin/Spyderco Street Beat. It has the VG10 steel and the FRN grip.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

sal wrote:2. We've been making this knife for 20 years. I don't think you are going to break it with a baton. Funny how people have all of these grand "opinions" with no experience.

sal
I agree with Sal. Those claiming the Moran will break by batoning are conjecturing, nothing more. Otherwise the Moran is a great carry knife especially because it is both lightweight and extremely compact.

Many people underestimate the utility of this knife as it is great both in the kitchen AND outdoors. The handle is comfortable, the blade is long enough for most cutting tasks, and the knife actually snaps sharply and securely in the sheath - which has not been the case for me with recent Spyderco fixed blades, namely the Aqua Salt and Rock Salt.

If changes had to be made, I can only think of one: Using an LC200N blade to make it completely rustproof. THAT would seemingly make it the perfect anywhere knife, as everyone already knows the Moran is a PROVEN design!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Another one I was looking at is the Fred Perrin/Spyderco Street Beat. It has the VG10 steel and the FRN grip.
Besides these two points the Moran and Street Beat do not have much in common. 4mm thick blade instead of 3mm Moran blade and a totally different handle shape and grip also, as examples.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Reject

Post by Reject »

Had a question on the Blades Forum about the lower priced Spyderco fixed blade knives. I did these comparison photos as part of the reply I posted. They may be of some help to your question.

How much can a Koala bear?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi SEF,

1. can't speak for Canada, but I do know that in the UK "security" is not a good work as self defense is not legal...

sal
I find myself hoping that you are exaggerating with that stateent Sal. Something is so very wrong with that idea...on the most fundamental human level. Talk about losing basic rights. :(
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Is it full tang ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Reject

Post by Reject »

Surfingringo wrote:

1. can't speak for Canada, but I do know that in the UK "security" is not a good work as self defense is not legal...

sal
I find myself hoping that you are exaggerating with that stateent Sal. Something is so very wrong with that idea...on the most fundamental human level. Talk about losing basic rights. :(
It’s the same in Australia.
Possessing any item for the purposed of self defence is a crime.

Basically: if you have a baseball bat sitting behind the door. It would be a good idea to have a ball and glove in the house to. If a police office were to ask you why you have baseball bat there and you say it is to defend against home invaders. Then you have just admitted to a crime.

Also; take the bat, ball and glove out for a play every now and then. Just so you can say that’s what it is used for; rather than putting yourself into the situation where you have to either tell a lie to a police officer or admit to a crime.

This is the law, but not necessarily how a police officer will treat the situation.

But tell them that you carry a knife for the purpose of self defence and it is a short cut to jail and lose of every knife you have.

It is lucky that we live in a safe country; :eek: except for the Drop Bears.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Surfingringo wrote:

sal
hey Lance, unfortunately that's the way it is today in many countries.
Here in Spain (and other EU countries) carrying a spray, stick, bat, knife, flashlight, knuckle duster, pepper/bear/mace can, wrench, tool, umbrella, or anything for the purpose of defending yourself leads to the immediate confiscation of the item, possibly ending in court and even in jail. :confused:

If you admit carrying it for such purpose or the LEO in question suspects so, you're done and screwed.

Sad but true :(
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

The only blade I have ever used with a baton is a chisel.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Deceptively light and handy, comfortable in the grip, it's had its way with a few wild hogs. Readers will be spared the boar processing picture in favor of the one below.

I do not carry, but the sheath can be worn horizontally or vertically, left or right or clipped in a boot. One intangible is pride of ownership. There is that.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

ThePeacent wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

sal
hey Lance, unfortunately that's the way it is today in many countries.
Here in Spain (and other EU countries) carrying a spray, stick, bat, knife, flashlight, knuckle duster, pepper/bear/mace can, wrench, tool, umbrella, or anything for the purpose of defending yourself leads to the immediate confiscation of the item, possibly ending in court and even in jail. :confused:

If you admit carrying it for such purpose or the LEO in question suspects so, you're done and screwed.

Sad but true :(
Same here in Portugal. But I must highlight that self defense is not forbidden, what is forbidden is carrying tools for self defense. This is a sensitive topic, as many countries and cultures have different approaches to it.
Before anything else, I haven't been nor I know someone who has been in a self defense situation. Other thing is the difference between self defense and street fighting. Street fighting is not allowed pretty much in every country in the world, and we may mistake a street fight for a self defense situation. If you need brass knucles or a baton to feel safe here, in Spain or in Australia you are doing something wrong and you know it. Besides, in a true self defense situation if you have zero training carrying brass knucles in your pocket won't make a difference.

About the knife: I like the design, it's a beautiful knife, but for my uses I prefer the aqua salt :)
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

elena86 wrote:Is it full tang ?
No. I saw xrays of it somewhere online.

I have the trailing point version, and it's very light and a great slicer. I have never needed to baton to start a fire so I can't speak to that.
Reject

Post by Reject »

The Morans.

Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I think a k390 Moran would fit nicely into the lineup.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Skidoosh wrote:I think a k390 Moran would fit nicely into the lineup.
Absolutely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050