CBSA going after flipper type opening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adancingmonkey

CBSA going after flipper type opening

Post by adancingmonkey »

Hello fellow cannuk forumites and anyone who plans on visiting us in the great white north,

Just a friendly PSA as of Jan 5th 2018 It appears that CBSA looks like they will be treating all knives that open via a flipper entering into Canada as a prohibited device.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 1-eng.html

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT’s recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

Nice and vague, so essentially if you can minimally start opening the blade via the flipper and then flick the knife open it would be deemed prohibited, or any knife with a loose pivot could fall under this classification.

The knife in question in this decision was a Kershaw Skyline.

:(
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
sal

Re: CBSA going after flipper type opening

Post by sal »

It sounded to me like that would also include assisted openers.

sal
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

sal wrote:It sounded to me like that would also include assisted openers.

sal
Yes, I suspect it could also include assisted openers, the way the ruling is written is vague enough where that could be the case. Pretty much anything that you can help open with the flick of a wrist. Guess it is fixed blades for Canadians from now on.
Last edited by adancingmonkey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is what I meant in the other post when I said "This world is a lie". There are many great people in it, like you, Sal, and others, and many great things in it, but it is tragic and sad that so many rulings against knives have appeared like that.

Does this mean that a Spyderco Bill Moran fixed blade hunter is immune to this sort of legislation? That is a great knife you all make. It has the VG10 stainless steel blade and the Kraton inlays.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

I just got home and was able to do enough reading to figure out the Kershaw Skyline was the model in question. I have a letter ready for my Member of Parliament - just need to edit a bit based on additional information for clarity. Letter won't change things short term but I will try to bring this decision to as many politicians on the Hill as possible.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

Please excuse duplicate post
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Sal,
I do have a hypothetical question regarding warranty work in the future. What can be done for Canadians requiring warranty work in the future. There would be no problem sending the blade into the USA, but upon the work's completion and return to Canada any folding knife now, more so than ever, runs the risk of being confiscated even if it was legally purchased in Canada originally.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

adancingmonkey wrote: .....
a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

Nice and vague, so essentially if you can minimally start opening the blade via the flipper and then flick the knife open it would be deemed prohibited, or any knife with a loose pivot could fall under this classification.

The knife in question in this decision was a Kershaw Skyline.

:(
Um I can casually flick open all my spydies with pretty minimal effort using a non edged part of the blade... aka the spyderhole.
Heck I can even do it in reverse grip.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Pitiful.

On the bright side, Michigan went the opposite direction last October and legalized automatic knives.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah this doesn’t just affect flippers. This would affect pretty much every opening method. Spyder hole, thumbstud, flipper tab, front flipper, wave...

I’m trying to keep cool about this, but I’m all honesty I’m terrified that it could mean an end to my Spyderco days.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

This is idiotic.

I can legally still buy a Southard flipper in Canada (and a ton of other flippers and assisted folders) from local retailers, but if I get caught bringing it across the border, it is confiscated.

But I can still walk around in public with my 18” blade (24”overall) machete.

Yup, that makes sense. :rolleyes:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I just don't understand AO knives. I knew this was just a matter of time. To me they are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

David Lowry wrote:I just don't understand AO knives. I knew this was just a matter of time. To me they are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
I agree in the case of most flippers, but I can’t see knives being outlawed just because of a Spyderhole, thumb stud, etc. I can loosen almost any knife enough to open with centrifugal force.

Switchblades, balisongs, etc., I get it.... a Spydiehole or Benchmade thumbstud? Not really.

Want to take a bite out of stabbing related crime? Ban kitchen knives and sharp scissors. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SharpieB wrote:Switchblades, balisongs, etc., I get it.... a Spydiehole or Benchmade thumbstud? Not really.
Really? What makes balisongs or autos worth banning?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Time to start a new freakin' hobby, and I've been at this one all my life. Governments suck.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SharpieB wrote: Want to take a bite out of stabbing related crime? Ban kitchen knives and sharp scissors. :)
and screwdrivers. and pens and pencils. for real.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Jazz wrote:Time to start a new freakin' hobby, and I've been at this one all my life. Governments suck.
Governments don't suck, the folks that elect them might have something to do with it though. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

holeshot wrote: Governments don't suck, the folks that elect them might have something to do with it though. :)
That makes absolutely no sense. And why the happy face?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This reminds me of sals Canada knife thread. We are gonna need a knife that can only be opened with two hands, without a Spyder hole, doesn’t lock, has a timed delay where you have to wait five minutes before you can open it...

@liquid_cobra
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I'd like to know what Sal's thoughts are on this, and say, the folks at places like Warriors and Wonders. It affects us enthusiasts when we try to import one knife, but it may affect dealers even more, if they inspect and confiscate an entire shipment.