Spyderco You Love with one major flaw...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobDigi

Spyderco You Love with one major flaw...

Post by RobDigi »

I can name couple that I've ran across...
The LiL Native I loooove this little folder flips open very smooth,
great little blade...handle fits so good in the hand for such a small knife ..so much to like but,
the compression lock.. love it when it works right..but this knife does not!
The tang always come back on your finger when closing and never, never allows the blade to fully close.
This is very unsatisfying and a shame because an otherwise great design,
becomes something I can't live with for these prices these days!!
Another...
The Yojimbo 2 probably my all time favorite blade design with the perfect ergonomic handle,
this knife is incredible for SD ..scary to think!!...and it also is a very useful practical everyday carry.
But...again compression lock issue... the push tab to close the Yo2 I would just say is ridiculous ,
it really gets me angry that they ruined this great knife with such a poor closing lock!
You have to actually ..every time.. dig your idex finger in there and keep shaking for one hand closing,
because most the time it ain't closing.
They killed me with this I love that knife otherwise.

BTW.. the Para Military 2 compression lock works perfectly no problems... pure perfection.
Makes me wonder though...
about some of the newer compression lock models that I haven't handled yet...
Sage 5
Shaman
Para 3
Last edited by RobDigi on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SG89

Re: Spyderco you love...with one major flaw!!

Post by SG89 »

love the Lil native hate the tang hitting my finger when I close it. getting faster at moving my finger out of the way tho lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dplafoll

Re: Spyderco You Love...with one major flaw...

Post by dplafoll »

The Sage 5 and Para 3 are practically identical to the Para Military 2 in terms of closing the comp lock. The Shaman and the Lil' Native require getting used to where to grip the lockbar, but once you do it's pretty easy.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
blockade

Re: Spyderco You Love with one major flaw...

Post by blockade »

PM2 -- great for nearly everything. I can't make myself carry anything else. But the blade shape is bad at spreading butter. That is all.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Military.

Favorite overall design but the liner lock and tip down only...I carry a Police or Pacific Salt or Cara Cara instead because they're tip up lockbacks. If the Military 2 has a strong self close with the stop lock I'll most likely go back to EDCing it.
:unicorn
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Lil' Native, for the same reason as above plus the comp lock is a little bit of a stretch to get my index finger down to. Other than that, it's a fun little knife.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

My Centofante Memory is gorgeous, cuts very well, and has possibly my favorite ergonomics of any of my folders. It’s a great design, and has got me keeping an eye out for more of Frank Centofante’s work.

However, the titanium liner lock has slid all the way over, resulting in significant blade play in all directions. I suspect the G. Sakai factory isn’t that experienced hardening titanium lock bars.
-Evan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Delica/Endura - Hate the handle/finger grooves. Make the grip more rounded like the Harpy.

Para 2 - Handle is a little cramped behind the choil for my hand size, blade to handle ratio could be a lot better.

Ulize - The blade is massive so the back spring is equally massive and it's more difficult to open than I'd like. Also needs to be SE.

Southard - The blade grind could be better/slice better.

GB1 - Needs a more prominent finger choil/guard at the pivot.

D'Allara 2 - One of the best designs ever once it's opened and in your hand, but it's gigantic once folded and in your pocket. Close-bias is almost nonexistent.

Kiwi 4 - Really needed a rounded/contoured handle design, really needed to be less plain Jane G10 slabs and more polished/gent's knife. Really a shame because it's a genius design that I believe would have sold better with those changes.

Sliverax - Yes, even the golden child that can do no wrong, I think would be better without bearings. The way the latest Military's pivot is so amazingly smooth and solid, I just have no doubt in my mind that the Sliverax could be done with the same pivot design and it would flip just as well and would be stronger overall. How strong it really needs to be is or if the milled pivot really does weaken anything is questionable though. The pivot action on mine is fantastic, I just like things to be more simple and it does create a lot of places for gunk and such to build up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

One for me is the PPT. The knife is great in many ways but the pointy clip pushing into my hand just ruins it for me. The unique clip design also makes it impossible to just replace it with a different style.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I hope the Rhino doesn't have the compression lock issue.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

Military. Right hand tip down only. So it lives in the back pocket. Wish I could put it in the front.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

don't think I've seen this mentioned yet...
PARA 3 CLIP LOCATION!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I haven't really found the tang on the Lil Native to be an issue. Not saying it doesn't contact my finger when closing because it sometimes does, but the effort the finish closing the blade is minimal. There is also enough room on the compression lock tab to depress the lock without having your finger prevent the blade from closing.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

regarding the lil native, why not move your index finger before the blade closes? Seems like it'd be a non-issue with a minor adjustment.
:unicorn
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:don't think I've seen this mentioned yet...
PARA 3 CLIP LOCATION!
Love the Para 3 but the clip thing really bugs me and puts me off purchasing another
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I don't think any of the Spyderco's have "major flaws". There are a number of changes or "improvements" that I might make on different models, but these would be considered matters of personal preference.