SMKW Preorder Issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

SMKW Preorder Issues

Post by xceptnl »

I have started this thread at the suggestion of Roman to split it from the Online deal thread. My post below is my last post from there.
rivy wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
rivy wrote:
jmh58 wrote:
rivy wrote:
jmh58 wrote:
jmh58 wrote:
i am travvy wrote:To anyone that preordered the sb caly jr from smkw, they finally replied back about the situation. Stated they cannot honor the price and are offering refunds on cards that were charged. They will however leave your name in the preorder que for the full cost.
Thanks for heads up.. Just called and cancelled my order for a full refund!! John :)
Got my refund transaction confirmation today.. :D On to other knives!!! :cool: John
Still haven’t heard anything from them myself...
Did you call them?? That's what I did.. And it was a few days before I got the cancellation confirmation notice.. John :)
Nope, and I don’t intend to. If they can’t honor the price they should be reaching out. Especially since they already have my money.
I totally agree with you, but prepare for disappointment
Of course, I don’t have any expectations. I am a bit disappointed with their customer service at this point though.
This is my opinion. I don't expect them to honor the price, but at this point, I would have expected them to contact me and ask me how I wanted to proceed. I fully intend to express my displeasure with them once they contact me. This makes the 2nd time I have experienced poor customer service from them and I think this will be my last.
Last edited by xceptnl on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mb1

Re: SMKW Preorder Issues

Post by mb1 »

Did they start in Va? I’ve been to their store in Tn a couple times. It’s an experience. Haven’t been overly impressed with their online presence.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

mb1 wrote:Did they start in Va? I’ve been to their store in Tn a couple times. It’s an experience. Haven’t been overly impressed with their online presence.
*facepalm* sorry, been a long week, i was confusing my SMKW troubles with my KC troubles.
*Landon*
rivy

Post by rivy »

Subscribed. Some of my thoughts are in the first post.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Radio silence from them here. I knew going into it, it likely wasnt gonna happen. They still need to reach out and make people whole. Taking money up front wasn't a smart move imo. I plan on taking 0 action myself, see when they do. It was minimal risk and gave me a chance to test out their customer service. I have never ordered from them.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

xceptnl wrote:
mb1 wrote:Did they start in Va? I’ve been to their store in Tn a couple times. It’s an experience. Haven’t been overly impressed with their online presence.
*facepalm* sorry, been a long week, i was confusing my SMKW troubles with my KC troubles.
Lol - oh well. I was gonna check my “learned something new” box for the day. :spyder:

I’m sure all the order hassle stuff will be cleared up soon. IF they take a lesson learned away, perhaps they won’t charge up front for preorders in the future. This is a HUGE store, so this issue may not get the attention of a small shop with a small staff.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's been a strange experience.

I pre-ordered for $30 and didn't expect the knife for that price, but figured why not try?

I was charged immediately for a knife that, weeks later, they do not have. Any other company has charged me when the knife ships, like the Spyderhawks I have on pre-order.

It was also a $9 shipping charge for a knife I know I could ship for $5 priority. Oh well, if I get the knife for half price I'll pay an inflated shipping charge.

Figured if I was already charged then that makes it more likely I'll get a $30 Caly.

I emailed them and asked them for clarification. I was ignored.

They called me a few days ago to tell me they can't honor the price that they posted on their own website. Seems strange but oh well, it's what I expected.

They still have my money. I have no idea why.

From the beginning I did not expect to get a $30 Caly jr, but the way things have been handled have left a bad impression on me.

I'll probably pick up the Caly Jr from New Graham or something once they release.

This was my first experience with SMKW. Not impressed.
:unicorn
J.Sib84

Post by J.Sib84 »

I haven't heard anything from them except probably 3 dozen sale emails. I'll wait it out and see what happens.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not honoring the price is one thing. It was an honest mistake based on misinformation from Spyderco and I can understand that. My card showed pending for three days and if they had just cancelled the transaction then I would have thought nothing of it. However, after that three days the transaction was processed. In my option collecting the money and then sitting on it for almost a month without communicating with anybody is unexplainable.

I have no issue with them not honoring the price but I do have an issue with putting down money upfront for a preorder or with giving them a $38 loan for a month. Again, honest mistake but handled very poorly. They should not have collected payment.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Babalu32

Post by Babalu32 »

I was in the "wait and see" camp.
They called me last week.
They cannot honor the $3X.XX price.
I chose to give her my credit card # to pay the remainder.
Ive still only been charged the $3X.XX (whatever the exact amount was).
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I emailed them a while ago and they told me they couldn’t honor it, if I wanted to keep the preorder they would charge the full amount. I emailed them back to see if they heard of an eta yet. I got an answer about 5 days ago saying no eta. I emailed them back same day and asked for a refund. Still have not heard anything and they still have my money. Also didn’t expect them to honor that price but but lack of customer service is making me not want to deal with them in the future.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have no issue with them not honoring the price but I do have an issue with giving them a $38 loan for a month.
Well said.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

taking money up front was not a smart move, but some of you actually thought they would honor the seriously low price? wow I'm shocked
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I didn't think they'd honor the $30 price since it seemed obvious to me it was a mistake of some kind, but I placed the order anyway hoping it would secure my place in line, so to speak, since they were taking payment up front. I emailed them on Dec 13 after Kristi Hunter posted on the Spyderco Facebook group that the lower price was definitely an error and said that I'd be happy to pay the full retail price to stay on the list to get one and asked if there was a way to pay the balance due. I haven't heard anything nor have I received a refund. Count me among those disappointed with the lack of communication or resolution.
(Sent from iPod)
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I called their 800 Toll Free Number today and talked to Marina in Customer Service... let her read into the details of the order and once she saw where they had tried to previously call me, I canceled the order. Seemed to process without a hitch :spyder:
SMKWRefund.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was fully charged for my Spyderhawk preorder as well as a few Caly Jrs at the incorrect price. I hope to be contacted soon.
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Just got the call from customer service. Obviously they can't honor the price, but it also seems they oversold and can't fill my order. Told her to leave me on the list in case others cancel. :cool:
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sent me an email a few days ago saying they'd issue a refund, but they still have my money. Getting annoyed at this point.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Please keep us updated with any news on this.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Still waiting for somebody to contact me about the two that I pre-ordered....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!