Sage Users: Tell me about this knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sage Users: Tell me about this knife.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Have you ever noticed that there is a knife or knives that Spyderco made or makes that you overlooked for various reasons, and then you go back and look it over, and think "Wow, that is actually quite a great design and has useful qualities."? That is me and the Spyderco Sage.

I have never had one and in the past I overlooked it, but after reading some of your reviews and looking at pictures of it, it dawned on me: This is an excellent blade.

I would like your feedback and views on this knife, how good it is for edc cutting chores, and whatever else you like about it, as well as any possible downsides to it, those who own and have used it. Thank you.

Was there a Sage with a blade in the 3.5-4 inch range?
Larry_Mott

Re: Sage Users: Tell me about this knife.

Post by Larry_Mott »

Almost ashamed to admit it, but i have never had any of my Sages in EDC rotation. That said it is one of my favorite Spyderco "families" in my collection. Utilitarian and flair in the same package. The Sage 3 has one of the best/smoothest locks of any knifes i've owned and the Sage 4 is hands down one of the prettiest Spydies ever.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not to forget, the series is a tribute to locks and their designers, to include, with the Sage5, the compression lock by you know who.

I've carried each of the five from time to time, but less and less as my attraction to bigger Spydies has grown. If, however, I had only one knife and it was a Sage, I'd have no complaints.

My only difficulty would be in the choosing. Although blades are essentially the same 3 in. length and pattern, each model brings not just a new lock but other qualities to the table.

Also, not to forget (pun seriously intended), a fraction of sales from the series goes to the fight against Alzheimer's. My mother, aged 93, has been afflicted for 10 years.

So, for all these reasons, I'd choose the Sage5 with many thanks to the Glessers.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I had a Sage 2 and I sold it. I don't like choils that much and the blade shape wasn't my favorite too.
Personally I don't miss it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am a liner lock guy and for me, Sage1 is a superb folder. It has very good ergos, it looks nice, has high level of fit and finish and the blade shape is quite utilitarian.Buy a Sage, any Sage and don't look back. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had a Sage 1 and 3.5 and I like them quite a bit. They do suffer from the old "I simply like other models better" problem, but I can't say anything bad about them. The S1 was my first Taichung model and I was shocked at how nice it was, that pivot was as smooth as any I've ever felt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Sage 1 and 5 are a couple of my favorites.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I've only carry the Sage 4 regularly. It is an outstanding knife. Perfect size in my opinion as it is right in the middle of what I categorize as large and small folders so it has a wide range of use. The lock......geez!! It is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard, lol. Sturdy as can be as well.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I HAD 1 and blue 3 at different times.. Sold both.. Cant put my finger on it but just didn't bond.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a Sage 1, 2, 3, & 5. If I can ever find a Sage 4 at a reasonable price I'll add that too. The S1 & S2 were my 3rd & 4th Spydies. So they're kind of dear to me. I like all the Sages well enough that they won't be leaving my collection anytime soon. I think they're classic Spyderco. I don't carry any of them much these days but only because I have several other models that I like a little bit more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
J.Sib84

Post by J.Sib84 »

I've only got the Sage 3 & 5 currently but they don't ever get carried really. I carry two knives a day a large and a small and the Sage knives are just a little bigger than my small knives I like to carry and a little smaller than my larger knives I like to carry. Nothing wrong with them but I have over 50 other knives that just do it for me a little better.

I still plan on picking up a 1 & 2 though.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I have the 4 and 5, and I'd love to grab the rest of them. I think the Sage is an extremely good-looking design (along with the little brother Chaparral) with excellent ergonomics and a fantastic blade. It's probably the most distilled version of the "leaf blade + finger choil" Spyderco paradigm. Any of them are more than excellent competition to the other fantastic 3-inch Spyderco models in utility, and a general step up in materials.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great EDC IMO. Fits right in that sweet spot. Own all 6.
Here's my thoughts on the series so far...

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 3#p1150277
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Sage 5 is the version I prefer. I like the feel of the scales (CF over g-10) and the compression lock is a plus
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I carry the Sage 2 and 5 quite regularly. Very good knives. I have all of them besides the 4, if I ever find one someday that doesn’t break the bank I’d love to pick it up. The Sage collection is my proudest collection behind my Caly collection. The 3” leaf shape blade is iconic Spyderco, and it’s pretty neat they all offer a different lock. Plus, the proceeds that they give to Alzheimer’s research, I hold very dear to my heart. It is a very nasty disease that runs prevalent in my family.
Josh
dc50

Post by dc50 »

murphjd25 wrote:I carry the Sage 2 and 5 quite regularly. Very good knives. I have all of them besides the 4, if I ever find one someday that doesn’t break the bank I’d love to pick it up. The Sage collection is my proudest collection behind my Caly collection. The 3” leaf shape blade is iconic Spyderco, and it’s pretty neat they all offer a different lock. Plus, the proceeds that they give to Alzheimer’s research, I hold very dear to my heart. It is a very nasty disease that runs prevalent in my family.
I have 2 Sage one's and 3 Sage two's. I love the titanium Sage as you can tell :) As murphjd25 said, "The Sage collection is my proudest collection behind my Caly collection"