The PITS - Get One Before They Are Gone!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: The PITS - Get One Before They Are Gone!

Post by SG89 »

abbazaba wrote:Agreed. This knife just feels and looks great. Very thin behind the edge too.

I am trying to resist yet look at this beautiful photo... lol quit trying to sell us on this knife :P
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

I got my blue PITS last night in the mail. What a knife. I am currently enjoying fidgeting it repeatedly open and closed with one hand. This is the best looking Spyderco I have ever purchased. If I end up enjoying using it half as much as I do staring at it...homerun!!!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

cheeseheaded wrote:I got my blue PITS last night in the mail. What a knife. I am currently enjoying fidgeting it repeatedly open and closed with one hand. This is the best looking Spyderco I have ever purchased. If I end up enjoying using it half as much as I do staring at it...homerun!!!
I totally agree about this knifes looks. IMHO, I think some of the best Spydercos come out of the Manilago factory. I'm still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a silver one. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

holeshot wrote:I totally agree about this knifes looks. IMHO, I think some of the best Spydercos come out of the Manilago factory. I'm still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a silver one. :)
Yeah, I know what you mean...I have a Lil LionSpy, and it is a great looking/feeling knife too. I am also considering the Original PITS in satin to complete the set. Still, my opinion is that the matt blue is just strikingly good!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

cheeseheaded wrote:
holeshot wrote:I totally agree about this knifes looks. IMHO, I think some of the best Spydercos come out of the Manilago factory. I'm still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a silver one. :)
Yeah, I know what you mean...I have a Lil LionSpy, and it is a great looking/feeling knife too. I am also considering the Original PITS in satin to complete the set. Still, my opinion is that the matt blue is just strikingly good!
Absolutely!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You're all making it hard to resist this one!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i got mine today and really like it!

but something struck me as odd -
the blade had side to side play so i took a chance and tightened the pivot a little bit!
that fixed the issue.

later on i felt the screw heads of the stop pin and the lock pin weren’t flush with the handle so i got my torx driver and tightened them.
no fit issues - but finish issues?
i checked and there was no (absolutely NO) loctite on any of the screws - i checked them all!

btw the knife was new and unused!
anyone experienced something similar? not a big thing maybe mine got around QC
but i’ve to loctite the screws before i carry it to prevent loosing the screws.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

polyhexamethyl wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:41 am
i got mine today and really like it!

but something struck me as odd -
the blade had side to side play so i took a chance and tightened the pivot a little bit!
that fixed the issue.

later on i felt the screw heads of the stop pin and the lock pin weren’t flush with the handle so i got my torx driver and tightened them.
no fit issues - but finish issues?
i checked and there was no (absolutely NO) loctite on any of the screws - i checked them all!

btw the knife was new and unused!
anyone experienced something similar? not a big thing maybe mine got around QC
but i’ve to loctite the screws before i carry it to prevent loosing the screws.
The lack of loctite is likely due to spydercos new more disassembly friendly policies.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

yeah, i read about the policy, but doesn’t it say loctite, but userfriendly loctite?
and if there was a „no loctite“ policy, did it start when the PITS was made?

i already secured the screws with medium loctite, so it doesn’t matter anymore.
i just was wondering :rolleyes:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really like the PITS. I can't wait for a sprint of it in something like K390. :)
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

My PITS came without loctite. That was even before the whole discussion. I think all of my Maniago models came without it iirc
RLR

Post by RLR »

One of my favourite knives with one of my favourite steels:
- - -
BOHLER N690
Our best conventionally produced stainless knife steel. Great value in a corrosion resistant knife steel with excellent edge holding capabilities. Additions of chromium and vanadium enhance edge holding capability, while cobalt and carbon help to retain high hardness. Hardens and tempers to 57-59 HRC and 60-62 HRC with deep freeze. For maximum toughness, harden and temper to 57-59 HRC. For maximum wear resistance, harden and temper to 60-62 HRC. 

http://www.bucorp.com/knives.htm
Nate

Post by Nate »

Picked up a blue PITS with the recent 20% off Ebay coupon and I'm really impressed. I normally don't buy ti handled knives, primarily due to cost, but this fell to a price I couldn't pass up. As others have noted: nice thin edge, excellent chamfering, snappy action, great ergos. The extra holes in the scales shave weight and add some purchase. Excited to have this along with my other Slip-its and started using it immediately.

Pretty late to the party on this one, but better late than never! Thanks to all for the great pics in this thread!!
:spyder:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Need to add this to my collection at some point for sure!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see the PITS come back as a sprint in something like M390.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I agree, the PITS are among the very best slipits Spyderco has made. I'm very happy with mine, I definitely do not feel 'under-knifed' carrying a PITS in more restrictive countries.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thought I'd beat the discontinued horse one more time since these are still available at 60%+ below msrp for now. (Knifecenter & Whitemountainknives, maybe others.)

One thing I didn't anticipate before buying the PITS is how strong the pull and "lock-up" would be. While this makes opening and closing the knife a more deliberate action than something like the UKPK, it's worth it to me because combined with the ti scales it feels so incredibly robust and solid in use. That's before factoring in how your thumb presses down on the torsion bar in use to make it even more secure.

I've only had it a couple of weeks, but I'm amazed by what Spyderco and Mike Read acheived in this beefed-up slippie. It feels destined to be a big part of my EDC rotation going forward.

The Subwoofer Review is a great read for anyone interested. I love it when unplanned impulse buys turn out to be massive home runs. :D

(Mine also does not appear to have any loctite and I did have to tighten a couple of screws. Not really an issue for me and an easy fix to add it, but something to watch out for as lost screws on your PITS would be a PITA :rolleyes:)
:spyder:
lunde

Post by lunde »

To make the $139.99 with free shipping deal even sweeter at White Mountain Knives, use "MJF" as a coupon code to get 10% off, making it a mere $125.99. I threw in a Pink PM2, on special for barely over $100, which became $92.69 after the discount.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

lunde wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am
To make the $139.99 with free shipping deal even sweeter at White Mountain Knives, use "MJF" as a coupon code to get 10% off, making it a mere $125.99. I threw in a Pink PM2, on special for barely over $100, which became $92.69 after the discount.
Thank you for the coupon code! Used to get a Rhino, sweet!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

With this thread I think I've found a PE Spyderco I might buy.

That is very nice.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.