More Spyderco ATS-34: Yes or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

More Spyderco ATS-34: Yes or No?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you could see more Spyderco folders and fixed blades with ATS-34 stainless steel as the blade material (whether the handles are FRN or G10), would you want to, or is it somewhat outdated for your uses?
dsvirsky

Re: More Spyderco ATS-34: Yes or No?

Post by dsvirsky »

Sorry, no. There's nothing wrong with ATS-34, but there's also nothing to recommend it over Spyderco's other offerings.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Wouldn't mind it for budget models/lowering prices
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

No
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Isn’t ATS-34 basically identical to 154CM? I don’t see anything magical about that steel.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

154CM is essentially the American version of ATS-34. A perfectly good steel. Nothing wrong with it. But hardly anything to get excited about in this day and age. Maybe a good choice for a "budget" knife -- or maybe for a medium sized fixed blade. There are so many more interesting choices for folders these days, nobody is going to get excited about 154CM.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

154CM is basically ATS34 but there are powdered versions of these steels as well. CPM154 and RWL34 are powdered versions of these steels that I would be interested in seeing in some more models.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Nope, I would skip ATS34 or 154CM in these times of K390, S90V and M4......nothing special about anymore.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The ATS34 knives I have, I like. Nothing wrong with it. I'd like some. It was the first steel I noticed held an edge well.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:The ATS34 knives I have, I like. Nothing wrong with it. I'd like some. It was the first steel I noticed held an edge well.
Similar experience (shocker, right?), mine was a BM 705 that I still have but retired. I find it retains edge less than S30V but sharpened easier.
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

On a budget knife, I'd be fine with ATS-34/ 154CM, I actually like that steel. It wouldn't push me to buy a particular model, but as long as the price was right it would in no way push me away from buying it.
MCM

Post by MCM »

With the right HT, ATS34 can be an amazing steel.
But much of it wasnt & gets lumped in with the rest of todays so called budget steels.
Same can be said for BG42. Have a few 1997 Microtech's I carried for years in ATS34
and a Lg Sebenza in BG42. Both perform much better than most would believe.
(Much better than any S30v I have owned)
Just my 2.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
sal

Post by sal »

ATS-34 is certainly not a "low cost" steel. I would use Crucible's CPM-154 before using Hitachi's ATS.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sal,

How would you compare the powdered steels CPM-154 and RWL-34?

With all these powdered steels available now why even bother with 154CM, ATS-34 and VG-10. If it's nothing more than cost, is it an appreciable difference? I know even some of the Japanese-made Spydercos are using CPM-S30V now instead of VG-10. Keeping VG-10 for the low end?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

RamZar wrote:Sal,

How would you compare the powdered steels CPM-154 and RWL-34?

With all these powdered steels available now why even bother with 154CM, ATS-34 and VG-10. If it's nothing more than cost, is it an appreciable difference? I know even some of the Japanese-made Spydercos are using CPM-S30V now instead of VG-10. Keeping VG-10 for the low end?
They'res similar. I don't think most could tell the difference in use. The powders are more homogenous so performance is increased simply because of the process. They are more expensive. We used CPM-S30V on a Seki models to give the Seki maker an opportunity to move outside of their box. They did a good job. VG-10 is simply an excellent ingot steel with good performance in edge holding, corrosion resistance and toughness, without the cost of powders.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Jazz wrote:The ATS34 knives I have, I like. Nothing wrong with it. I'd like some. It was the first steel I noticed held an edge well.
Similar experience (shocker, right?), mine was a BM 705 that I still have but retired. I find it retains edge less than S30V but sharpened easier.
What a shock, bro! ;) Mine was a BM too. Have a few of them. I also have a Wegner model with it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, obviously none of us here knows the future, but, if you were to speculate, and estimate, based on what you see happening in the knife/blade steel world, would you say that eventually powder based steel will replace ingot steel altogether, or, will specialty ingot steel for knife blades still be used for some time to come?
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree, CPM-154 is the base steel of the future.................(Unless I am wrong)...... LOL LOL
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am not certain what you mean by "base steel", but to my way of thinking I would call both S30V and 154CM "base steels". I am trying to qualify what I think I mean by that. I suppose that those steels separate "bargain" steels below them from "super steels" above them. But this is my warped view of things.

I view ATS-34 as an unnecessarily expensive form of 154CM from Japan, so I don't get too excited about it. I say just give me 154CM and get on with it -- and don't expect me to get all that excited about it -- although 154CM is a fine steel, and seems to be well understood by knife makers.

On the other hand, my first quality knife was a Benchmade AFCK that was in ATS-34. And I still have that knife. So ATS-34 certainly has sentimental value for me -- but I am not particularly eager to see more knives in that steel. And I figure that ATS-34 is just japanese for 154CM. Synonyms to my way of thinking, but maybe there are fine hairs to be split.

The whole business of 154CM versus CPM-154 is something I see kicked around in forums. Supposedly the former is ingot steel and the later is the powder metallurgical version of it and the "good stuff". But I haven't seen any kind of demonstration that the powder stuff is better. No doubt it should be, but could the ordinary mortal ever tell?

My Benchmade Gripttillian is 154CM, as is my fixed blade Benchmade Arvensis. They are both great knives. I figure the Griptillian is somewhat of a "budget knife", but great bang for the buck and pretty much my favorite Benchmade. I think it was a good move to make a big fixed blade like the Arvensis out of 154CM (yes, that is how it is marked). So I don't have and have yet to see a knife in CPM-154. Is CPM-154 a myth? I have a RWL-34 mule, which is essentially powder metallurgy 154CM if I understand it right - so I suppose it is essentially CPM-154. Hmmmm.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MCM

Post by MCM »

BM HT is hit and miss.. Not a good one to base an opinion of steel on. Just my 2.