Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Surfingringo

Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

Post by Surfingringo »

I have been testing this steel for several months now in one of my fillet designs and I am very impressed. When I was given the first test piece of this steel, I was told by the Uddeholm reps that the steel had the corrosion resistance of lc200n and the wear resistance and edge performance of Elmax. I was dubious and told them as much. After extensive testing of three knives with various heat treats, I would say that this steel offers extreme corrosion resistance (comparable to lc200n) and edge performance and wear resistance in the s30v/cpm154 range. I don't have any Elmax but I tested the prototypes side by side with cpm154 at 61 hrc and the results were very similar.

I think some of these new nitrogen steels have the potential to really transform the knife world and I'd like to see Spyderco continue to lead the way. This steel is very interesting and I think it would make a great mule (so we could get more people's opinions). If the results I have seen hold true across a broader user base then we might just have a great new steel available.
'
For the record, I've got no business dealings with Uddeholm. They asked if I would test it and I said yes but told them I wouldn't sugarcoat the results. I really didn't expect it to wow me and if it hadn't I probably would have just kept my mouth shut. I can't keep my mouth shut now though. This stuff looks really promising to me.

bluntcut

Re: Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

Post by bluntcut »

Hey Lance,

Thanks for your data on Vanax (Your knife hrc ~59 - 59.5) long term performance in salty environment. S30V edge retention is about where I assessed vanax as well. My latest test blade hrc is around 61.5 to almost 62. This blade has hunter/util profile.

I would like to have another data point for vanax at 61.5rc, if you are willing to long term test, please let me know. I would give it a handle and ship it to you. I really like profile of your blade ... if you don't mind me, gives that profile a highest form of compliment? hahaha yeah copying it sometime in the futyure :)

I've one last vanax blank to ht target for 62.25 - 63 rc.

Thanks,

==Luong
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Great pics Lance!

I completely agree with Lance. The results I've seen from testing the new Vanax have been more than surprising. When I heard "edge holding like Elmax and corrosion resistance like LC200N" I thought ...marketing hype! Even though it sounded like hype, I was intrigued. So, I committed myself to weeks of HT testing and making a few knives. Now that the HT protocol is worked out, knives are made, I've done my own edge testing and I've seen some results from Lance's testing, I am a believer! I haven't made an identical Elmax knife for direct comparison yet but the test results are already so good that I know that even if Vanax edge holding isn't 100% like Elmax (not saying it isn't), this steel is going to be a really big deal. There's still a little more to learn from additional testing and I'm awaiting some additional information from Uddeholm, so I will reserve my final analysis until we get to the end of the process. Based on what I've seen so far I expect the rest of the tests to go extremely well. I started this project thinking this might turn out to be a great specialty steel that I might want to use for making knives specifically for fishing or other water-based activities. Instead, this is turning out to be far better than that. If the toughness data turns out to be what I am anticipating, this could replace S35VN and Elmax in my shop and become THE primary steel I use for making all types of outdoor knives (when I choose to use a stainless). That is a potential outcome I literally did not imagine was possible when this testing process began.

My biggest reason for wanting to see Spyderco make a Vanax Mule asap is that I favor Spyderco over other knife companies. Simply because Spyderco is my favorite knife company, I am hopeful that Sal gets a jump on his competitors and is the first to bring Vanax production knives to market.

Either way, I am confident we're going to see a lot more Vanax in the future.

Chad
Last edited by Xplorer on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

bluntcut wrote:Hey Lance,

Thanks for your data on Vanax (Your knife hrc ~59 - 59.5) long term performance in salty environment. S30V edge retention is about where I assessed vanax as well. My latest test blade hrc is around 61.5 to almost 62. This blade has hunter/util profile.
I've one last vanax blank to ht target for 62.25 - 63 rc....==Luong
Hi Luong,

The knives Lance is testing right now are not the the same as the original knife he posted. Neither of the test knives he's using right now are 59-59.5. We have been working directly with Uddeholm to establish the best Vanax HT protocol specifically for knives. One of the 2 knives currently being tested has the best H/T for corrosion resistance and the other is heat treated and tempered for the hardest possible edge.

One thing we have seen through testing is that the hardest blade doesn't necessarily provide better edge characteristics.

If you want to discuss any specifics or questions you might have, feel free to send me a P.M.

Best regards,

Chad
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sounds interesting, but I've been wondering about the future of the mule team program lately. I remember a few years ago when they would sell out super fast and everyone was clamoring for bigger runs and more frequent releases...

Now there are what, 6 currently available at the SFO? The LC200N and 20CV are still around, crickets on the PD1 and to some extent on A11, etc. I'm just guessing and maybe it's all fine with Spyderco, but if it were me I'd be wondering if it's worth it to keep doing them, or at least whether to dial it way back again.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post/rant. :o
:spyder:
MCM

Post by MCM »

Were drinking from a fire hose of new knives. Sign of the times.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

Post by MCM »

Great design Lance. Reminiscent of a Schrade Old Timer. One of my favorites!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would like to have another data point for vanax at 61.5rc, if you are willing to long term test, please let me know. I would give it a handle and ship it to you. I really like profile of your blade ... if you don't mind me, gives that profile a highest form of compliment? hahaha yeah copying it sometime in the futyure :)...

==Luong
Hey Luong, you know I would love to test your HT on this steel but I'm pretty loaded down right now with projects. Honestly, I'd like to see you get some of your Vanax into the hands of one of the other fishermen/scientists around here. I know we have a few salties other than me. Maybe we'll get a volunteer in this thread. Bloke comes to mind but he's on the underside of the world.

As Chad said, the last two blades were heat treated differently...one for max hardness and one for max corrosion resistance. I saw virtually no difference in wear resistance between the two. but the blade treated for high corrosion resistance is visibly outperforming the harder blade (in corrosion resistance). Based on what I'm seeing so far, I would treat for high corrosion resistance since there seems to be a greater advantage to be gained in that area. That's what it looks like so far anyway. Still testing.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Chad,

Your openness and generous sharing of ht are well appreciated! Since my ht research became an investment, so at this time, I'm unable reciprocate with BCMW HT info, thus solo I'll fly.

If ok to disclose, will Udderholm publish new knife-ht for general public?

Best,
==Luong
Xplorer wrote:

I've one last vanax blank to ht target for 62.25 - 63 rc....==Luong
Hi Luong,

The knives Lance is testing right now are not the the same as the original knife he posted. Neither of the test knives he's using right now are 59-59.5. We have been working directly with Uddeholm to establish the best Vanax HT protocol specifically for knives. One of the 2 knives currently being tested has the best H/T for corrosion resistance and the other is heat treated and tempered for the hardest possible edge.

One thing we have seen through testing is that the hardest blade doesn't necessarily provide better edge characteristics.

If you want to discuss any specifics or questions you might have, feel free to send me a P.M.

Best regards,

Chad
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Thanks Lance. Well, Bloke?

I always enjoy reading your posts. btw - none of my ht using secondary/high temper range.
Surfingringo wrote:

I would like to have another data point for vanax at 61.5rc, if you are willing to long term test, please let me know. I would give it a handle and ship it to you. I really like profile of your blade ... if you don't mind me, gives that profile a highest form of compliment? hahaha yeah copying it sometime in the futyure :)...

==Luong
Hey Luong, you know I would love to test your HT on this steel but I'm pretty loaded down right now with projects. Honestly, I'd like to see you get some of your Vanax into the hands of one of the other fishermen/scientists around here. I know we have a few salties other than me. Maybe we'll get a volunteer in this thread. Bloke comes to mind but he's on the underside of the world.

As Chad said, the last two blades were heat treated differently...one for max hardness and one for max corrosion resistance. I saw virtually no difference in wear resistance between the two. but the blade treated for high corrosion resistance is visibly outperforming the harder blade (in corrosion resistance). Based on what I'm seeing so far, I would treat for high corrosion resistance since there seems to be a greater advantage to be gained in that area. That's what it looks like so far anyway. Still testing.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

bluntcut wrote:Chad,....If ok to disclose, will Udderholm publish new knife-ht for general public?...

Yes, Uddeholm plans to publicize the testing results as well as the details of the process when all of the testing is complete.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bluntcut wrote:Thanks Lance. Well, Bloke?
Blunt, Lancelot, Forum ... to quote a famous Australian, "I love yahs all!" (Jeff Fenech). :)

I'm humbled by your generous offer and I'd love to play. I'm also most grateful for the opportunity. :o

Let me know how you'd like to proceed and happy days! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Nice, I'm looking forward to the info. Thanks Chad!
Xplorer wrote:
bluntcut wrote:Chad,....If ok to disclose, will Udderholm publish new knife-ht for general public?...

Yes, Uddeholm plans to publicize the testing results as well as the details of the process when all of the testing is complete.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Please email your shipping address to: luong (at) bluntcutmetalworks.com

For handle, I will use Desert IronWood instead of micarta, will see how it holdup.

Thanks,
==Luong
Bloke wrote:
bluntcut wrote:Thanks Lance. Well, Bloke?
Blunt, Lancelot, Forum ... to quote a famous Australian, "I love yahs all!" (Jeff Fenech). :)

I'm humbled by your generous offer and I'd love to play. I'm also most grateful for the opportunity. :o

Let me know how you'd like to proceed and happy days! :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Xplorer wrote: If the toughness data turns out to be what I am anticipating, this could replace S35VN and Elmax in my shop and become THE primary steel I use for making all types of outdoor knives (when I choose to use a stainless).

Chad
Seriously? Now I am really intrigued. Tell us more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bluntcut wrote:Please email your shipping address to: luong (at) bluntcutmetalworks.com

For handle, I will use Desert IronWood instead of micarta, will see how it holdup.

Thanks,
==Luong
Done! :D

I don't have any experience with IronWood but if it's anything like our local hardwood it may move a little but it should play fairly well in salt water. ;)

Anyhow, many thanks Luong for a great opportunity which I'm very much looking forward to and hopefully I won't disappoint by breaking bits off your knife or 'loosing' it or anything. :eek:

Best

Alex :)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Nice fillets and knife there sir Lance a lot. :) Is it true Bloke that the fish down under don't have scales? :D Give that knife some good use and a saltwater bath. Let us know how it holds up. We'll be looking forward to a report.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tdog wrote:Nice fillets and knife there sir Lance a lot. :) Is it true Bloke that the fish down under don't have scales? :D Give that knife some good use and a saltwater bath. Let us know how it holds up. We'll be looking forward to a report.
Ah, hahaha! :)

As it goes T there are a few species of fish colloquial called Leather Jackets here and they have rough skin like a shark so you skin them a bit like a rabbit. They have teeth like parrot fish that clean nip through finer gauge fish hooks and they're very good eating. :cool:

Mate, I'm looking forward, albeit a little nervously to receiving the knife but I've already got an off beat idea or two going around in my head. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Tdog wrote:Nice fillets and knife there sir Lance a lot. :) Is it true Bloke that the fish down under don't have scales? :D Give that knife some good use and a saltwater bath. Let us know how it holds up. We'll be looking forward to a report.
Ah, hahaha! :)

As it goes T there are a few species of fish colloquial called Leather Jackets here and they have rough skin like a shark so you skin them a bit like a rabbit. They have teeth like parrot fish that clean nip through finer gauge fish hooks and they're very good eating. :cool:

Mate, I'm looking forward, albeit a little nervously to receiving the knife but I've already got an off beat idea or two going around in my head. :D
As if that just began today. :rolleyes: ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
As if that just began today. :rolleyes: ;)
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

You're an egg! :)

Why can't you be nice? :rolleyes: